Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid auris, reversing noise?

tomashen

Finally got Toyota Auris 1.8 Hybrid.

Took it on long test drive around. Was doing some reversing and turning the wheel out fully to one side, the car began to make some scratching noise or something. Wasnt very loud, and im really unfamiliar with the noise. Sounded like the engine or something scratching? After driving forward on a straight for about 20-30sec, it stopped, tried to go to another car park lot and try do the same reversing maneuvers but it did not repeat anymore.

Can anyone understand what im saying by any chance and explain ?

EDIT: This is 2015/2 Luna model. 

Edited by tomashen
EDIT: This is 2015/2 Luna model. 

It was probably the AVAS, Battery/EV vehicles need to make a noise so pedestrians can hear you under 20 KPH

Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System   

Hmm but it was heard from interior, like a crunching noise? 

Also it was raining outside so could hear raindrops and that crunchy noise,

The car was being reversed to the left with wheel turned fully to do so. Then went forward and went to reverse again same tactic, fully turned wheel to reverse into spot to the left behind. It started to make that light crunchiness after 2nd reverse time, then i went out to straight main road, drove for about 30sec out of the parking lot and it stopped. 

Would this be what you speak off? because it continued to crunch or something after the going in D for another 30-60sec ( had to drive a short distance to exit the parking lot but at low speed - around 10kmh) then on straight road after reaching above 20-30kmh it stopped .

and after trying to replicate the noise, was not possible in another parking lot. this was all on flat area mind you.

It could be from the brakes. Some rust or dirt accumulated between the discs and pads and while in turn the pads are scraping off the discs. Check your brake discs if they are well shiny or has some scratches on them. Also if they have a lip from been wearing out. This is perhaps most common places that you can get those noises. While on full turn similar noises but softer can occur from the outer cv joint boots. They simply rubbing their ribs walls and produce a rubbery scratches noises, similar to when you are parking at your mall polished car park floor. 👍

Hmmm. Could be the case with the breaks. Breaks were changed just this week. But would this noise happen even if stationary because after that reverse when the noise started, it didnt stop even when stationary?

edit: other than that one occurence, there is not a peep out of the car. runs quiet. drives quiet. engine revs up louder when flooring which i enjoy imo.

Edited by tomashen

1 hour ago, tomashen said:

Hmmm. Could be the case with the breaks. Breaks were changed just this week. But would this noise happen even if stationary because after that reverse when the noise started, it didnt stop even when stationary?

edit: other than that one occurence, there is not a peep out of the car. runs quiet. drives quiet. engine revs up louder when flooring which i enjoy imo.

So in this case does the noise comes while the engine is running and goes away when the engine shuts off? 

If it only does it at certain steering angles and while moving, most likely the brake heat-shield - They turn into a rust doiley quite quickly and tend to get bent easily so they rub against stuff.

If it does it even when stationary, most likely the AVAS (I like to describe it as sounding like a space ship that is moving with its handbrake stuck on :laugh: )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

If it only does it at certain steering angles and while moving, most likely the brake heat-shield - They turn into a rust doiley quite quickly and tend to get bent easily so they rub against stuff.

If it does it even when stationary, most likely the AVAS (I like to describe it as sounding like a space ship that is moving with its handbrake stuck on :laugh: )

hmmm. it has not happened anymore after driving another 3hours around places. weird. what is AVAS exactly i dont get it after checking google.

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

So in this case does the noise comes while the engine is running and goes away when the engine shuts off? 

well i dont know, the car was running on Battery power because it was in car park at low speed. and when stopped was on car Battery power too. 

i also noticed that when starting the engine from stationary, and being put in P , turning on Fan there is some weird noise, not grinding but like not sure how to explain, electrical noise? muffled up. but goes away when you turn off the fan so im assuming its normal?

Avas is acoustic vehicles alert system but you haven’t got one, newer cars from 2021 has it. Don’t worry, just drive you car and you will get use to it. The car is full of strange at first glance things and different from all other petrol cars, it’s more like an electric car. The buzzing sound comes from Reb air conditioning system, when is hot outside it’s louder as the electric compressor works harder to cool down the cabin. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much for all the help guys!

Also, can i finally ask here, 

Any tips or tricks you can tell me with this car that i may not know? Is it possible to pin a contact for quick dial on the infotainment?

anything else i wouldnt know?