Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are we going to see these upgrades on the PHEV?

Nick72

If we do I may actually just get another in 2 years...

Screenshot_20220702-003028_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220702-003042_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220702-003055_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick72 said:

If we do I may actually just get another in 2 years...

Screenshot_20220702-003028_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220702-003042_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220702-003055_Chrome.jpg

It looks like a lot of updates to the internals and user interface in keeping with the BZ4x.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The MY2023 updates for the RAV4 identified here:

state:

RAV4 Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid adopt new multimedia systems, customisable driver’s digital combimeter and enhanced Toyota Safety Sense functions

So, yes, the MY2023 updates apply 'equally' to HEV and PHEV models ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mornin' all........long live PHEV's.

Good to learn of some positive vibes on an amazing vehicle.

Do updates suggest my 5 year window (2021/2026) could extend ?

Barry Wright, Lancashire.

• Like 1

Barry that’s exactly my current plan, start look in 2025 but keep track of what’s going on for a change, maybe, in 2026.

• Like 2

Hi again.....halfway house (PHEV) is essential in my case.

Sure there are likely to be 1000's heading for similar in the future.

The full EV route IMO requires a home or work place charge facility.

I'm retired therefore the workplace option is a non starter.

I live in a gated block of private apartments including a great indoor car park with 50 spaces. Unfortunately this 2 year old modern new build has no infrastructure to support a EV charging network within; a massive oversight IMHO. 

However we do have a small visitors outdoor car park including a pedestal 2 socket 7kw fast charger; as above halfway house. Unfortunately access for charging can be problematic dodging hoggers & weather, but at least it is private & secure. Again with a PHEV you can always claim a charge later or tomorrow & take a hit on the wallet.

9248C7FF-4A98-4747-8958-DBB1A9355049.thumb.jpeg.65c7ffc45a12fe2801e6d9f6b8414cd6.jpeg9301F1CB-907C-4A24-B701-9C485E68694A.thumb.jpeg.e7f3e72c2a6c7fc817af72930a5c8e0f.jpeg  

Anything that saves reliance on the public network will suit me fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broadway One said:

Hi again.....halfway house (PHEV) is essential in my case.

Sure there are likely to be 1000's heading for similar in the future.

The full EV route IMO requires a home or work place charge facility.

I'm retired therefore the workplace option is a non starter.

I live in a gated block of private apartments including a great indoor car park with 50 spaces. Unfortunately this 2 year old modern new build has no infrastructure to support a EV charging network within; a massive oversight IMHO. 

However we do have a small visitors outdoor car park including a pedestal 2 socket 7kw fast charger; as above halfway house. Unfortunately access for charging can be problematic dodging hoggers & weather, but at least it is private & secure. Again with a PHEV you can always claim a charge later or tomorrow & take a hit on the wallet.

9248C7FF-4A98-4747-8958-DBB1A9355049.thumb.jpeg.65c7ffc45a12fe2801e6d9f6b8414cd6.jpeg9301F1CB-907C-4A24-B701-9C485E68694A.thumb.jpeg.e7f3e72c2a6c7fc817af72930a5c8e0f.jpeg  

Anything that saves reliance on the public network will suit me fine.

I think you were trying to develop the internal parking to include EV charging has this died a death? Is there no way you can expand the number of chargers from 2 to say 6?

Hi...at this point this retired engineer could launch into a wordy posting expressing a frustrating 12 months working up a scheme for a passive charging network within our car park. All doable & ready to go spurred on by a substantial OZEV government grant. Unfortunately communal living requires a consensus from residents to progress, here I found apathy & naivety reign. Maybe I'm a couple of years to soon, but there's no excuse IMO for sleepwalking into the inevitable.

Finally Ernie your point re additional pedestal units.

Yes it would help, but the main problem of access for charging would remain & can only get worse as EV ownership grows, it really is a tight little 4 space area, often fully occupied.

Barry.      

That's because people are idiots. You need explain things down to their level - Write a musical stage play and dazzle them like Lyle Lanley! After all, he managed to sell a Monorail system to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook! :laugh: 

(I'm only half-joking...)

• Haha 2

The sad thing is that there is obviously a need as the 4 bays are fully occupied from what your saying. Sorry to hear you’ve run into brick wall with the project you put a lot of effort into trying to get it off the ground.

• Thanks 1

It's purely infrastructure, the grid can only supply so much, and developers will only bring in a supply to suit the building flat's/apartments typically have a 60A supply or less

The writing is on the wall for the PHEV, with the new incoming Euro standards 2025/26

• Thanks 1

I thought the Uk was going to stop sales of pure petrol/diesel in 2030 and hybrids in 2035 so PHEVs would be 2035. What have I missed in changes to the UK rules?

• Like 1

IIRC It's to do with Co2 quotas, the new euro standards will put the PHEV at a higher Co2 output and make the current 2.5 obsolete, with the push towards BEV's i don't think the investment and R&D will be going in to extending the life of the PHEV

a thread from May

• Like 1

And as folk concluded in that thread, the current WLTP rules accord the RAV4 PHEV an unrealistically high economy figure. The aim is to come up with a more realistic figure for the next go around, and I doubt that anyone could really complain about that. But, equally, the PHEV economy is going to be no worse that that of the HEV, and probably better by a factor of two or three, going by the sort of economy figures our resident PHEVies are reporting.

I really can't see any reason why Toyota would discontinue the PHEV in the near future. The EV infrastructure is nowhere near ready, so, as Ernie says, we are likely to see [plug-in] hybrids on sale until around 2035.

The RAV4 was introduced in 1994 - we are now on the RAV4.5. While I can't see much scope for an all electric RAV4 - the bZ4X covers that space - we've plenty of time for next generation hybrid 4.6s and 4.7s ... 😉

• Like 3

Makes sense Philip and agree that there will still be potential for an upgraded RAV PHEV between now and any potential ban on sales, The 2.5 ICE may be a big lump but it's probably one of the most engery efficient big lumps around and tuned to match the current Battery technology. I could see a next generation RAV incorporating solid state batteries which are smaller, lighter and have more energy density. Toyota is now capable of manufacturing these in production volume and scaled up could do so in the next couple of years. Lots of articles 

https://uk.motor1.com/news/559246/toyota-solidstate-battery-production-2025/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38711469/toyota-solid-state-batteries-2025/

• Like 3

19 hours ago, flash22 said:

t's purely infrastructure, the grid can only supply so much, and developers will only bring in a supply to suit the building flat's/apartments typically have a 60A supply or less

Hi again.....point taken, but there are lots of hours with the main feeder at minimum to zero loading ie during the night, mid morning, mid afternoon etc. Smart management of the total EV demand & load diversity exploits this by temporarily reducing the charger network loading at peak times. Our product of choice has cornered the market with their smart network providing a passive back plate mounted in each parking bay awaiting EV converts to purchase (£600/700) a robot charge unit to hook up if & when ready.

I approached  the District Network Operator (DNO) at the outset re the capacity of the main apartment block feeder, already very aware of smart management, they seem happy to sweat the asset selling more units in the process as the demand for EV charging increases.

Finally thanks to this forum I was able to swap notes with others (very few) developing similar projects, in particular Fred Dibnah, his steer has been a great help. So pleased that his scheme seems to be progressing whilst mine as hit the buffers for now. 

• Like 1