Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New to me - 2011 Yaris T spirit

jamieA

We bought a 2011 Yaris T spirit 1.33 yesterday in a private sale. The car's been looked after and there's a stack of service history and relatively low mileage. Genuinely the seller was moving abroad, leaving the city today - we'd agreed the sale a couple of weeks ago allowing her to use the car till she left. A couple of things cropped up that I've spent the morning working through - before finding this site. Firstly I couldn't work out how my iPhone music wouldn't work through the USB port to the TomTom  TNS410 receiver nor through the bluetooth connection even though it worked as a handsfree for calls. I've since found out that it requires a ridiculously expensive cable to do so, so I think I'll forget that and buy a radio bluetooth plug in for the cigarette lighter port. Also the parking sensors on the rear don't appear to function - no beep, no indicator on the TNS410 screen, just a blue screen - thought the reversing light works - any suggestions? Lastly I'd like to buy another key with remote functionality as the second key I have doesn't have remote functionality - but I assume Toyota would be ridiculously expensive - does anyone have any cheaper suggestions? My wife loses car keys regularly.

Parking sensors - may be a small switch mounted on the boot lining which disables the sensors. Have a look.

IMHO you're better off just getting a spare key from Toyota - There are other ways of doing it, but they're all a massive ballache and the small amount of money you save will be outweighed by the massive hassle involved in finding a competent auto-locksmith...

19 hours ago, Cyker said:

IMHO you're better off just getting a spare key from Toyota - There are other ways of doing it, but they're all a massive ballache and the small amount of money you save will be outweighed by the massive hassle involved in finding a competent auto-locksmith...

Yesterday afternoon I called an auto locksmith I've used before. I've had to get multiple keys for the old Honda (though they are different with separate key and fob) when my wife has lost them in the past. If I remember correctly the last key and fob came to £90 from him - whereas the dealer was looking for over £300. The locksmith said since it was the weekend his sources were limited but he did come back to me later in the day apologising as the only one he could source was a Toyota part at £200. He said he'd try his other sources on Monday - the way my wife loses keys he knows he'll get the repeat business! 

That seems steep... try ringing round some other dealers!

I know the smart keys are quite expensive, but if it's a normalish key it shouldn't be that expensive...!

38 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That seems steep... try ringing round some other dealers!

I know the smart keys are quite expensive, but if it's a normalish key it shouldn't be that expensive...!

A couple of years ago my Mazda 2 replacement key was quoted at £287 plus VAT from the dealership - after she had temporarily lost the key having borrowed my car. So I wasn't surprised at the Honda price. I'd assume Toyota keys would be in the same ballpark. I might give the local dealership a call tomorrow and find out.

• Like 1

When I replaced the key for my Mk1 Yaris it only cost me £70 for the module (I had the key cut for ~£5 and programmed it myself; Would have been another £70-ish if I got Toyota to do the above)

I would have thought it'd be mid-high £200s for a smart key tho'.