Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo making horrendous groaning noise on start up

Chickenman21

Hi people, I was wondering if I could get some help with this noise my car is making

After not being used for more than two days it makes a horrible noise on start up and a rubbing of plastic smell is in the engine bay when I shut the engine off it shuts down very fast like something was putting friction on the engine 

Could it be the alternator as its started squeaking due to the band slipping?

Cheer guys, charlie

That sounds like the alternator bearings or the AC pump clutch

• Like 2

I had this issue - tended to go away after driving it for a few minutes. Turned out to be no oil in the engine!

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

That sounds like the alternator bearings or the AC pump clutch

I suspect the squeaking noise in high gears is due to the alternator belt slipping or so I have read so it could be that

The ac doesn't work so I'm not sure if that would make a difference I suspect it needs re gassing 

1 hour ago, CalAygo said:

I had this issue - tended to go away after driving it for a few minutes. Turned out to be no oil in the engine!

That would've been a painful mistake haha

I have just serviced it myself and all the levels are spot on so I'm not sure if it is that

Must admit that sounds like a bearing that's gone; Belt slip is normally more of a tortured cat shrieking sound.

• Like 2

Check water pump it could be causing noise.

• Like 1

You say the engine slows quickly, so the belt isn't slipping plus a slipping belt is a lot higher pitch squeal, mk1 uses the alternator to tension the belt if it's over tensioned it will kill the bearings over time

use a mechanic's stethoscope or a long bar to your ear to pin point the noise, high gears means the engine is not under such a high load

or take the AUX belt off and spin the pulleys, by hand you will soon find it

Ah, the A/C doesn't work it could well be the A/C clutch/bearing - you can sort it out or put a shorter non A/C belt on the car

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi I have the same problem, the same noise when I turn on the car. The problem it is the noise happens only some times. Two mechanics had look at it and couldn’t find the problem as the car didn’t make any noise. Last week the noise started again and a little smoke started to come out from the engine, I turned the engine off, waited for a day and turned on again, no noise no smoke.I don’t know what to do. Can anyone help please?

Mine makes a similar noise for a while, this time of year, if I haven't driven it for a few weeks

I am sure its the alternator struggling to charge my large HD Battery. Noise stops after a few minutes

If you're getting smoke as well, that's worrying. Touch wood, mine doesn't smoke, so far

• Like 1

Change the aux belt if its on its original it will be rock hard, rubber belts are good for 5-6 years before the rubber goes off and degrades - it will smoke if it's slipping, and squeal like a piggy if cold/damp

• Like 4

Thank you for your message. My was like this would make a noise just occasionally when it was very cold or if I haven’t driven for a while, after a year the noise is getting more often. The problem is that when I leave the car at the mechanic doesn’t make any noise. But at the same time I think the mechanic should know what the problem is…. What do you think?

That's standard car stuff, you get your car booked in to get it looked at and it behaves perfectly

if you don't have records of it being done, it needs doing, preventive maintenance is better that the stress if/when something fails

9 hours ago, Cristie said:

Thank you for your message. My was like this would make a noise just occasionally when it was very cold or if I haven’t driven for a while, after a year the noise is getting more often. The problem is that when I leave the car at the mechanic doesn’t make any noise. But at the same time I think the mechanic should know what the problem is…. What do you think?

I would place my bet on the alternator:

• When the car is cold or haven't started for a while.  Soon as the car starts, it will draw a lot of current from the alternator to charge the Battery back up.
  • When the car is at the mechanics, the Battery is mostly charged, therefore the load on the alternator is no longer present.

To verify it is the alternator, there are 2 test you can do:

1. If the sound is present, get a mechanic stethoscope (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196030260332) or a long screwdriver / extension bar and tap it various component (with your ear on the other end of the long screwdriver), then tap it at the alternator.  If the sound is really load at the Alternator, then you know.

2. If the sound is absent, generate a huge electric load on the car and see if it generates the sound.  How?  Turn air blower on full blast, turn rear defogger on, turn the head light on, wiper on full speed.  If the sound comes back, then you know.

• Like 1

That's very old school but a great tip and well worth using, it's helped me in the past identify noisey water pumps and dynamo's and alternators etc. 👍