Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris: 1.0 L VVT-I petrol vs. 1.5 L TNGA petrol

VN5

Are there any advantages of the Yaris engine: 1.0 L VVT-I petrol compared to: 1.5 L TNGA petrol?
I see specs show that 1.5 is more fuel efficient than 1.0 , and that is strange.
Also I see that 1.5 uses cooled EGR and uses some cooling gymnastics at motorway speeds, and maybe that limits engine lifespan?
So maybe overall, 1.0 L VVT-I petrol is better, if I prefer engine reliability & longevity, over fuel consumption ?
However, I have zero knowledge about engines so please advise...

Thanks

In the UK where most of our members are, we only have the 1.5 hybrid version.

I just found this:

I assume this "highly corrosive acids" issue does not affect 1.0 engine due to its different design?

Please, can someone confirm?

3 hours ago, VN5 said:

I just found this:

I assume this "highly corrosive acids" issue does not affect 1.0 engine due to its different design?

Please, can someone confirm?

Hard to tell but if it’s me I will rather go for the 1.5 engine. It’s more powerful, more efficient, nicer to drive for sure. It’s a new engine and not much information from owners about reliability. The thing is that the engine when equipped with hybrid system is port injection where when it’s on his own is a direct injection and this in a long run may cause some carbon buildup issues. Perhaps test drive them both and see which one you like more.