Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Key dead........is it a write off?

catboy00

Morning, 

i managed to wash my car key with my jeans a few days ago, the key came out lovely and clean, however its now dead, (changed the Battery...still dead...sob) whilst it will still open the doors and start the car, the alarm goes off for about 30 seconds whilst doing it...very annoying (especially for the neighbors!) The local toyota dealer has told me that disabling the alarm is impossible, that a new key is also impossible because they need a live one to make it from (?) (Timpsons also said this!) so the option is new locks/alarm...as the car is worth approx £12.98p, and i'm skint, that aint going to happen...does anyone have any ideas how i can sort this issue. 

cheers....

You need to be sure the internals are fully dry, the recommendation with phones is put them in a bag of rice but remove the Battery first. Not sure it’s going to help you unfortunately.

I’ve washed my house keys a few times but they are not electronic thankfully.

What utter BS, if the car starts and drives there is no issue with the immobilizer, this is a sealed passive chip inside the key

you may have an issue with the internal switch on the driver's door, try to unlock the car from the passenger door or get in the car and press the lock/unlock switch to stop the alarm

the circuit board and Battery in the remote are purely for locking/unlocking the door, 2 options

1. If the fob loses power for an extended period, it will lose sync with the car, you could try to program it

2. Get a used key and swap the circuit board to your key, then program it to the car

SYSTEM PREPARATION

1. With key out of the ignition, sit in driver seat with DRIVER DOOR opened and unlocked, all OTHER DOORS closed and locked.

2. Within 5 seconds:
A -INSERT key into the ignition, DO NOT TURN - REMOVE key from the ignition.
B -INSERT key into the ignition, DO NOT TURN - REMOVE key from the ignition.

3. Within 40 seconds:
A -CLOSE driver's door - OPEN drivers door
B -CLOSE driver's door - OPEN drivers door
C -INSERT key into the ignition, DO NOT TURN - REMOVE key from the ignition.

4. Within 40 seconds:
A -CLOSE driver's door - OPEN driver's door
B -CLOSE driver door - OPEN driver door
C -INSERT the key into the ignition, DO NOT TURN - Leave key in the ignition
D -CLOSE driver door
E -Turn key to ON but DO NOT START - Turn key to OFF
F -REMOVE key from ignition

5. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should LOCK then UNLOCK automatically, indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

REMOTE PROGRAMMING

6. Within 40 seconds:
A -PRESS and HOLD LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 1.5 seconds, then RELEASE the buttons
B -PRESS the LOCK button and HOLD for 2 seconds (immediately after releasing the buttons).
Within 3 seconds, the door locks should LOCK then UNLOCK automatically, indicating successful programming.
If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was not accepted

We had a problem with our one year old Picnic, 2000 reg (6/7 seater mpv based on an Avensis). The alarm went off and wouldn’t stop. We were on holiday and had just arrived at our accommodation!
The breakdown man couldn’t stop the alarm. He removed the whole alarm module, which included the sounder, from beneath the front wheel arch. He took it away, still sounding, and we picked it up the next day when it’s reserve Battery had gone flat. The car drove as normal and didn’t seem to realise that the module was missing. 
So I’m just wondering if you couldn’t do the same thing and remove the alarm module?