Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil change done.

anchorman

Just a quick run over the oil change on the 21 plate Yaris.  Because of very low mileage and buying it second hand, I decided to replenish the oil and change the filter.  I’ve got a pit but ramps are just as good on a nice day.

IMG_3994.thumb.JPG.ff9820ce1020d0283b96e0db07041d68.JPG

Bottom cover off allows a visual inspection of the lower engine.  Nice and bone dry under there;

IMG_3995.thumb.JPG.440df3deec3bda488925432fdc026a7f.JPG

It had started to discolour but as expected, no debris;

IMG_3996.thumb.JPG.9b582c8afe7e5b84ae7abd12055184d8.JPG

Genuine filter of course.  Part No shown and I always use a filter socket for removal and hand to tighten.

IMG_3997.thumb.JPG.0a1b2997c557f6e89acd8bb30de2a93c.JPG

Beautiful engineering with a spill preventing spout;

IMG_3998.thumb.JPG.48189cc6772b5214aecec187f11c5610.JPG

Genuine filter pre greased;

IMG_3999.thumb.JPG.64c5a98211238759dca750badd83c4bd.JPG

As with most Japanese engines, a one litre oil bottle screws directly into the oil filler;

IMG_4001.thumb.JPG.f54126dd5b62be6999ac94532f9a5006.JPG

Double check there is absolutely no dust in the oil jug;

IMG_4002.thumb.JPG.58041067989e15e68b095945f8a4568b.JPG

I got my hands on 3X5 litres of 0W/8 oil off eBay from somebody who clearly doesn’t know how much it cost.  £34 each - I’ll take all 3 thanks;

IMG_4003.thumb.JPG.e4ea206e72cf7e3ad21e112f94cafa7e.JPG

I wouldn’t advise the normal vigorous engine clean but it got a quick do to cover another 12 months.

IMG_4085.thumb.JPG.9c7d2b162d67b8c462ca042eddab9a66.JPG

SDS oil data.  I don’t fill right up to the top mark but stop short by about 6mm to allow for fuel dilution.

1003279973_Screenshot2022-07-04at21_47_57.thumb.png.c538b569a49f5d1d957d22b9e5ea5ffe.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

0w8. Never even heard of that oil grade. Interesting to see the oil grades page. You learn something new everyday 

Great pics, btw

• Like 2

Good job done  

• Like 2

I notice it's a "proper" screw off/on oil filter, like in the older days. Have they gone back to using these rather than the silly paper element under a screw off/on plastic or aluminium cover?

9 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

I notice it's a "proper" screw off/on oil filter, like in the older days. Have they gone back to using these rather than the silly paper element under a screw off/on plastic or aluminium cover?

Before the "older days" they were all paper elements.  That was the good ole days.😀

33 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

Yes, since 2016 gen 4 Prius 👍

6 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

Thankfully yes - Went from a spin-on in the Mk1 to a paper element one in the Mk2 and it was rubbish; Much prefer the spin-on type! Much less of a messy PITA to change! So glad Mk4's back to a spin-on, although probably won't be touching it until the warranty runs out...!

18 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

0w8. Never even heard of that oil grade. Interesting to see the oil grades page. You learn something new everyday 

Great pics, btw

Yeah, I was shocked when saw that was the grade my Mk4 used - Was only just getting used to 0w20!

I'm scared for where we go next... -10w0??? :eek:  :laugh: 

Stuff is expensive too, except from Toyota for some reason. Honestly the cheapest place by far to get 0w20, 0w16 and 0w8 is a dealer's parts department! :eek: 

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Thankfully yes - Went from a spin-on in the Mk1 to a paper element one in the Mk2 and it was rubbish; Much prefer the spin-on type! Much less of a messy PITA to change! So glad Mk4's back to a spin-on, although probably won't be touching it until the warranty runs out...!

Yeah, I was shocked when saw that was the grade my Mk4 used - Was only just getting used to 0w20!

Stuff is expensive too, except from Toyota for some reason. Honestly the cheapest place by far to get 0w20, 0w16 and 0w8 is a dealer's parts department! :eek: 

eBay with discount code and Toyota official store. Bought many items this way and always top quality and service. 👍

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Stivino said:

Before the "older days" they were all paper elements.  That was the good ole days.😀

Yes they were but I would have written olden days. Steel bowl with a long centre bolt. Spring loaded paper element and a bent pin to pick out the used sealing gasket from it's groove! Lying on your back, struggling to push up the bowl against the spring while trying to align the long bolt in it's "hole".:rolleyes: They were the "good old days".:laugh:

I've bought oil off the bay before but I'm always wary, if it's too cheap is it counterfeit.

5 minutes ago, wildtapholer said:

I've bought oil off the bay before but I'm always wary, if it's too cheap is it counterfeit.

It depends who’s selling it.  I’m aware of the risk and know how to tell before using it.   

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 10:01 AM, mrpj1 said:

Yes they were but I would have written olden days. Steel bowl with a long centre bolt. Spring loaded paper element and a bent pin to pick out the used sealing gasket from it's groove! Lying on your back, struggling to push up the bowl against the spring while trying to align the long bolt in it's "hole".:rolleyes: They were the "good old days".:laugh:

Usually in winter by some strange coincidence!

On 7/5/2022 at 6:07 PM, TonyHSD said:

EBay with discount code and Toyota official store. Bought many items this way and always top quality and service. 👍

What’s the code Tony?

On 7/5/2022 at 5:51 PM, Cyker said:

I bought the filter from the dealer and the recommended replacement oil is 0W/16 but they couldn’t get it.  I’ve bought off this eBay seller before and it’s pukka stuff 👍

3 hours ago, anchorman said:

What’s the code Tony?

I bought the filter from the dealer and the recommended replacement oil is 0W/16 but they couldn’t get it.  I’ve bought off this eBay seller before and it’s pukka stuff 👍

Usually on the first page of eBay on your app or website. Not always applies to the seller that sells what you are interested and you need to look around. Toyota official store often is included in the eBay promotions discounts from 5-20% off. These promotions lasts only few days and has discount limits of up to £75 usually. Toyota oem parts bought through eBay on,y buy from Toyota official store or we’ll known dealers. Avoid unknown traders because they do sell fake parts and sometimes these parts are well packaged and it’s almost impossible to extinguish them over the real one. 👍

• Like 1

I wish I’d never mentioned eBay but for some reason, editing gets locked on this clunky forum.  I’m a long time served mechanic and know what I’m doing, the oil is genuine.  

• Like 2

Opps sorry to question the seller but being as there is money to be made off anything and the counterfeiters are getting very good at it (cigarettes especially), unless you are are sending a sample of oil to get tested,how do you know, it's whats on the label your getting. I only mentioned it as my local garage has has numerious oils but when the mechanic gets the oil from a 50gal drum how do you know it's the correct one, unless your having a track day and really testing your engine. I have bought oil for a lexus RX300 in the past off the bay and have wondered how a seller can sell 10 ltrs for the price of 5 including postage. This is not ment in any way to offend but they keep telling you if it's too cheap it probably is for a reason.