Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo X Auto...Had to change insurance companies!

152bobby

Found out today that Direct Line will NOT insure my new Aygo X Auto, simply because only the manual option shows up on their system !!

Shame, as I have been with them for years and have many other policies with them, so I have went with LV.

During my search online on who to go with, SAGA popped up for over 50s 😀, so I entered my details (for a laugh) and they were a few quid short of £500..I can only assume, that they are taking the micky out of us over 50s.  I have no endorsements,  accidents etc and have maximum no claims bonus....they are having a laugh !!!

That’s the the thing with saga they think that the over 50’s are awash with money. Strange why direct line can’t quote for a auto.

• Like 1

Bobby,

Direct Line insured ours which is an Auto X so the above Post is incorrect.

Who are you insured with currently ,aren't they competitive ?

Tel

I was with Direct Line in the first place (they simply changed my current Rav4 insurance over to the Aygo X), but when I saw the actual paperwork, it had the word Manual, so that's why I spoke to them via live chat to clear it up and this is when he said the auto was not on his system and could not insure it(I have a emailed copy if the live chat).

I picked LV yesterday.  I'm going to submit a complaint to Direct Line.  But it won't make much difference, as I have changed now anyway !!

1 minute ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

I was with Direct Line in the first place (they simply changed my current Rav4 insurance over to the Aygo X), but when I saw the actual paperwork, it had the word Manual, so that's why I spoke to them via live chat to clear it up and this is when he said the auto was not on his system and could not insure it(I have a emailed copy if the live chat).

I picked LV yesterday.  I'm going to submit a complaint to Direct Line.  But it won't make much difference, as I have changed now anyway !!

Tel, double check your Direct Line Insurance and make sure it states Auto instead of Manual.

I had the same trouble of my car not being on the system when I changed from a Mk3 to a Mk4 yaris Launch edition.

Quote me Happy were unable to find the car on their database despite the car being a 8 month old ex demo. In the end I cancelled the policy and got a full refund .

Got plenty of quotes on comparison sites and went with Churchill in the end.

I got an online quote from Direct Line and just checked back and it does say Manual. Have gone back to correct it and there is no option to change it from  Manual to auto. Very strange, that there’d want to do themselves out of some business.

So I won’t be using them either. I’ve still to get a quote from my existing insurer as I can’t provide a reg number or a start date, but using my current Aygo as means of comparison (had my renewal quote through recently) they’re dearer anyway. LV was less than Direct Line but more than my current.

For the LV quote, I used Compare The Market, LV was the 9th on the list and was not the cheapest.  But LV was the first one down the list that I recognised.  I don't like going with unknown companies, even though, if I bothered to research some of them, they are probably owned by well known companies !!!

Don't trust chat, phone them, you get nothing for loyalty these days, DL refused to give me a better quote 2 years in a row, i have the same cover now for half the cost and a lower excess with flux

LV is part of Allianz (as of 2019/20) that also own L&G

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Victoria

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Don't trust chat, phone them, you get nothing for loyalty these days, DL refused to give me a better quote 2 years in a row, i have the same cover now for half the cost and a lower excess with flux

LV is part of Allianz (as of 2019/20) that also own L&G

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Victoria

I use chat because, I have everything that is said in writing and if I use the phone, I tell them that I'm recording the full conversation via a app on my phone.  The amount of times, I've been lied to by numerous companies over the years....now I have proof as back up 👍

My X Insurance does not show Transmission Data so I rang them to check if our Auto was specified & it is,

I asked them why some Customers are being denied Insurance for the X & was told the System can take weeks to Up-Date when new models launch.

I rang in April to ensure the X Auto cost was reasonable & had no issues whatsoever in May when agreeing the Policy.

£230.

Tel

I have sent a complaint to Direct Line, I'll be curious to hear what they say !!

1 hour ago, Tel 2 said:

My X Insurance does not show Transmission Data so I rang them to check if our Auto was specified & it is,

I asked them why some Customers are being denied Insurance for the X & was told the System can take weeks to Up-Date when new models launch.

I rang in April to ensure the X Auto cost was reasonable & had no issues whatsoever in May when agreeing the Policy.

£230.

Tel

Daft isn’t it “can take weeks to update when new models launch” that doesn’t make sense when both Manual and Automatic models launched at the same time! Just a poor excuse for terrible service I’m afraid.

• Like 1

Hi.

If anyone ever needs any hep with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

We have the facility to manually enter any vehicle that doesn't appear on the standard car databases.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered an Aygo X Extreme Automatic in March 2022 and out of interest checked insurance cover. Cheapest quote then was around £260, possibly because the car was a new model and insurers had not yet “positioned” it. My car is due next month. Currently my latest quote is £209.

8 minutes ago, Donrald said:

Ordered an Aygo X Extreme Automatic in March 2022 and out of interest checked insurance cover. Cheapest quote then was around £260, possibly because the car was a new model and insurers had not yet “positioned” it. My car is due next month. Currently my latest quote is £209.

Have you tried Dan at Adrian Flux (in this thread).

I must admit, my fiascal with Direct Line not even having it on their database was a complete joke and inconvenience. 

My new cover with LV is £270, which was not the cheapest nor the dearest.  I can only assume this wee car is higher to insure than I expected can only be down to it being a brand new model !!  Hopefully come renewal time next year, it should come down.

3 hours ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

Have you tried Dan at Adrian Flux (in this thread).

I must admit, my fiascal with Direct Line not even having it on their database was a complete joke and inconvenience. 

My new cover with LV is £270, which was not the cheapest nor the dearest.  I can only assume this wee car is higher to insure than I expected can only be down to it being a brand new model !!  Hopefully come renewal time next year, it should come down.

that's still low compared to my insurance, lowest quotes I've had is £350

I got mine from the comparisons sites.  There were far lower quotes, but I wasn't happy going with companies that I have never heard of.  So I went with LV who were 9th on the list 👍

We've been with LV for a while and found them to be very competitive. Of course where you live, park and use the car has an influence, but for garaged, business use, full and protected NCB on 50+ old drivers, £425 for our CHR Excel and our 2020 X3 Msport this year may be a bargain. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Llynyfan said:

for garaged, business use, full and protected NCB on 50+ old drivers

Bizarrely I found that driveway parking got lower quotes than garage parking, on enquiring I was told that more cars get damaged in garages by things falling on them than get damaged/vandalised on driveways!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

That's because garages nowadays are tiny and are not fit for purpose and people like me get tarred with the same brush, because I say I park my car in my garage which easily takes 2.5 LARGE cars/4x4s.

Next time I renew, I am specifically going to get two quotes from the same company, one for parking in garage and one for parking in my drive.

My insurance has just automatically renewed. I did shop around beforehand and found my current insurer (Santander) were cheaper or around the same making it not worth changing.

As it was in the process of renewing I couldn’t get an online quote for my new Aygo X, until now that is. To insure it from the 30th July I will have to pay an additional £62.26, which includes a fee. I’ve already paid £161.70, so my insurance will work out as £223.96. That’s with my 9 years ncb protected and legal cover.

For a comparison I’ve just visited LV’s website and got a quote for the Aygo X again starting on the 30th July with ncb protected and I was quoted £249.25. That doesn’t include legal cover which would be another £25.99.

In short, even with having to pay an administration fee to alter my insurance, my existing insurer has come up with a better price. To be honest I thought it would cost me more than the additional £62 so I will be staying with Santander, when I eventually take delivery, for the first year anyway!

• Like 2

I guess it pays to shop around and if that brings you a cheaper quote, or confirms that staying with your existing insurer saves money, winner winner.

There was a time that your introductory offer saved you tumps then they ramped it up next time. Maybe customer retention has become more valuable to them.

On 7/21/2022 at 12:26 PM, Donrald said:

Hi.

Have you tried ourselves for insurance at all?

Regards,

Dan. 

On 7/22/2022 at 6:42 PM, Llynyfan said:

There was a time that your introductory offer saved you tumps then they ramped it up next time. Maybe customer retention has become more valuable to them.

No,  from January 2022 it became illegal to charge new customers less than existing customers.

• Like 2