Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Hidden Centre Speaker

W1P30UT

Hi,

While trying to resolve some dashboard rattles, I noticed the MK4 (Design spec for me) has a hidden central speaker. I don't think it's active, but is connected. Is there a way to make it active? I wish the MK4 had better sound quality from it's media system. I don't need lots of thumping bass, just closer to a hifi standard.

Best wishes.

Centre Speaker.jpg

• Like 1

Not part of the e-call system?

• Like 2

As noted by @FROSTYBALLS the speaker is solely for the E-call system and is purposely segregated from the Audio system to ensure functionality should the cars power be cut in an accident for example 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

As noted by @FROSTYBALLS the speaker is solely for the E-call system and is purposely segregated from the Audio system to ensure functionality should the cars power be cut in an accident for example 

IIRC where I was looking at a parts diagram there is a separate small Battery near the SOS button / DCM - any idea if that provides power to the E-call system if the vehicle suffers a loss of its 12 volt power supply.

It’s not hidden if you’ve found it! 😂

• Haha 1

Didn't look easy to get that grille off 😱 Was that the source of the rattle?

1 hour ago, Campblor said:

Didn't look easy to get that grille off 😱 Was that the source of the rattle?

It wasn't easy to take off, and wasn't the solution either. It's further in to the dashboard. I've posted here.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:03 PM, forkingabout said:

IIRC where I was looking at a parts diagram there is a separate small battery near the SOS button / DCM - any idea if that provides power to the E-call system if the vehicle suffers a loss of its 12 volt power supply.

You're correct, when I disconnected the speaker the SOS system had a red light rather than green.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 10:43 AM, W1P30UT said:

Hi,

While trying to resolve some dashboard rattles, I noticed the MK4 (Design spec for me) has a hidden central speaker. I don't think it's active, but is connected. Is there a way to make it active? I wish the MK4 had better sound quality from it's media system. I don't need lots of thumping bass, just closer to a hifi standard.

Best wishes.

Centre Speaker.jpg

did you see what colors are on the cables to the speaker