Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris - dealer not honouring prices

zarg

Our new Yaris was delivered to the dealership the other day, however when it came to signing the finance agreement, the price had gone up £1,300 compared to when we were originally quoted and the order was placed back in January.

Anyone else had this happen to them? The dealer is refusing to honour the original quoted price and Toyota customer services cannot help...

At the end of the day, the contract of sale is between you and the dealer. Assuming the increase is on the retail price, rather than a change in finance, did the original order make reference to either price protection or what happens if prices increase??

Yeah it does mention the dealership can adjust the price, but it certainly hurts the brand image of Toyota for me. When you've been excitedly waiting for a car for 6 months it just dampens the experience. They clearly must've known about the price increase for a while and only told us when the car arrived at the dealership.

I personally don't see why customers should be forced to pay more than the original agreed price to be honest, even if the retail price increased.

My contract for a MY 21.5 Corolla also contained a clause that the price could be adjusted should the retail price be higher at the time of delivery. However, I must admit that I overlooked this when I signed the contract, as I assumed the order would be price protected (this was the case in the past with VAG orders). In my case, when the MY 22 Corolla was delivered, the price was still the same, so the issue never arose 😅

I would start haggling with them to bring it down or throw in some extras or threaten to walk away.

They really should have informed you earlier tho', the lack of communication for important things like this is disgusting. When it's the other way around, they're on you like a shot!

With my dealer getting them on the phone is almost impossible but when they wanted me to fill in some things I missed on the forms (Because the salesman wasn't paying attention and didn't even check them when I returned them to him!) they were on it like white on rice! It's only the second time I've gotten a call-back from them so quickly! (The first being when they forgot to take payment for the MOT...)

Any other time, many promised call backs, never returned.

No problem really it only went up a few quid I put it down to movment on currency markets from looking to ordering my car.

Good point, checked my contact.  It states manufacturers price at time of delivery. 

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

I would start haggling with them to bring it down or throw in some extras or threaten to walk away.

They really should have informed you earlier tho', the lack of communication for important things like this is disgusting. When it's the other way around, they're on you like a shot!

With my dealer getting them on the phone is almost impossible but when they wanted me to fill in some things I missed on the forms (Because the salesman wasn't paying attention and didn't even check them when I returned them to him!) they were on it like white on rice! It's only the second time I've gotten a call-back from them so quickly! (The first being when they forgot to take payment for the MOT...)

Any other time, many promised call backs, never returned.

Yeah 100% will try and get something for the extra money. Thing is, if we walk away the dealership are going to easily sell the car anyway, probably for an even higher price so I don't think we'll have much leverage!

7 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Good point, checked my contact.  It states manufacturers price at time of delivery. 

Yeah, I just don't get the point of having an agreed quote if they can just change it at will. Kind of seems like a "get out of jail free" card they can pull when they fancy making a little extra money.

You are the first to be hit with, or admit to, increased prices.  Anyone else has to pay more? 

Some further thoughts.  If your car price has risen by £4,000, it has not risen in isolation.  First the trade in value of your car will have increased.  The future value of your new car will have increased. Then the balance payment on your old car will have reduced. 

If the dealer pushes for the higher price make sure they have worked through all the changes too.