Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris hybrid mpg & tank size

Bippy

I have just had a2020 Yaris hybrid for 2 weeks now and have a few queries.

I filled the car to full and then got 439 miles before the low fuel light came on. It was reporting a range of 22 miles when light came on. The trip computer reported 71.9mpg.

I worked the real mpg out using the tank size of 36 litres. So 36 / 4.546 ( litres in a gallon) to get how many gallons car held which was 7.92. I divided the number of miles I had done from odometer since the last fill by this value - 439/7.92 which came to 55.4mpg. I was confused at the real value being so far off the estimate from the trip computer until I came to fill my car this morning. I could only get 28.3 litres into the car so used this figure to calculate the mpg 439+11(miles to get to filing station) / (28.3/4.546) which gives me just over 72mpg.

Very happy with this but was wondering if the Yaris has a large reserve tank when the low fuel light comes or if in fact the Yaris 2020 hybrid doesn't have a 36 litre tank. Looks like there is around 7 litres in the car when the low fuel light comes on which seems a bit much to me ?

• Like 1

Which Yaris - third generation 2011-2020 or fourth generation 2020 onwards??

Toyota do tend to be conservative as regards fuel reserves.

If you look in your owners manual for 'warning lights - low fuel light' it will say in there approx how much fuel remains when the low fuel light comes on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going to sound thick but how do I know if it's 3rd or 4th generation?

Just checked the manual and it states that there will be approx 1.4 gallons left when light comes on.

54 minutes ago, Bippy said:

Going to sound thick but how do I know if it's 3rd or 4th generation?

Just checked the manual and it states that there will be approx 1.4 gallons left when light comes on.

2020 Gen 4 Yaris.jpgGen 4

Late 3rd GEN 2020 Yaris.jpgGen 3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a Toyotaism and is normal :laugh: 

They really don't want you to run out of fuel I guess so the reserve is quite large. I once did 100 miles on the reserve in my old diesel Yaris!!

I typically refuel at a quarter tank and only usually get in 26L, which still freaks me out as I'm used to getting in closer to 38L from the previous models! :laugh: 

It's just magic that this car can go so far on such a small tank!

• Like 2

FWIW the low fuel warning light illuminated on my C-HR this morning & there was still around 8 litres of fuel left in the tank.

It's the same with the Toyota forklift products, BT Reflex RRE reach forklift truck the low Battery warning light will illuminate plus Battery gauge shows 0 to tell the operator to exchange / charge the Battery.

But there's still around an hour's worth of work left in the battery before the light starts flashing & restricted performance mode cuts in.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Cyker said:

This is a Toyotaism and is normal :laugh: 

They really don't want you to run out of fuel I guess so the reserve is quite large. I once did 100 miles on the reserve in my old diesel Yaris!!

I typically refuel at a quarter tank and only usually get in 26L, which still freaks me out as I'm used to getting in closer to 38L from the previous models! :laugh: 

It's just magic that this car can go so far on such a small tank!

That's some going! The light came on and I started to panic. The second "half" of the tank was dropping really quickly compared to the first half. The light was on last night but not this morning when I got into the car. The range was estimated at 22 miles and I travelled 11 miles to petrol station where the range read 19 miles😝

• Like 2

When the tank Is full it is overly optimistic on the Corolla. Mine is claiming 623 miles when I filled it this evening. By the computer it is saying I’ve done 52.7mpg since last refill. Unless the tank is 53 litres before the reserve, something isn’t right.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kental said:

When the tank Is full it is overly optimistic on the Corolla. Mine is claiming 623 miles when I filled it this evening. By the computer it is saying I’ve done 52.7mpg since last refill. Unless the tank is 53 litres before the reserve, something isn’t right.

It’s optimistic indeed or perhaps you had been driving more efficiently before your initial fill up. My car currently displays 62mpg and last fill up 530 range from 42ltr tank. When you are running low on fuel you can actually drive in negative, once I drive 40 miles after I reach 0 miles range 👍

• Like 2

There is a reason why EV people call it a 'guess-o-meter' :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Agree with Tony.  Almost identical max range, 505 winter, 526 summer, best 535. 

As you drive, when you reach 3/4 fuel your range will probably be close to 380 and at half near 250. (Corolla). 

Best fill to first click, drive to 1/4, refill, then check.  That will give you a figure of fuel remaining to empty and allow you to calculate true consumption. 

PS, just think, 250 was often max range for a small petrol car not long ago. 

• Like 2

MPG Thread 😂😂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Roy124 said:

PS, just think, 250 was often max range for a small petrol car not long ago. 

That's true. I remember filling up my old Rover 100 (Metro) for a trip from the Midlands to Stonehenge and back, expecting to be able to do it all on one full tank. Heading back I had to fill up on the M5 after 245 miles, with the orange light now on. In my current Peugeot 208 1.2 I can do towards 500 miles on a full tank, as it seems can the Yaris even with its tiny fuel tank.

• Like 1

My old Fiesta was like that; Could get nearly 300 miles if I was careful, but usually was like 130 miles and I was too new at driving to realize how awful that was... Now imagine going from that to a Mk1 Yaris D4D which, even while being driven like it's stolen, can get nearly 600 miles per tank!! :eek: :laugh: 

And having that diesel torque after coming from some crappy 50hp 1.3L petrol engine that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! What a revelation it was!! (I nearly crashed it driving out of the dealership as I was putting in far too many revs, being used to the Fiesta's total lack of power off the line! :laugh: )

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have a similar experience to the original poster. Today was my first refuel after first full tank of petrol. Approx 414 miles at a reported 70.4 mpg, 36 miles left, so a range of about 450 miles. But I can only refill marginally over 28 litres to full. That suggests to me a full tank of about 30 litres. If the real tank size is 36 litres, that's a hidden reserve of about 6 litres/90 miles. Haven't seen this feature confirmed anywhere, and I'm a bit surprised by it. 

PS having traded in a Range Rover doing 25mpg, I'm delighted with the Yaris Cross fuel economy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dawjack said:

If the real tank size is 36 litres, that's a hidden reserve of about 6 litres/90 miles. Haven't seen this feature confirmed anywhere, and I'm a bit surprised by it. 

Look in the owners manual for warning lights, and then low fuel light. This should tell you approx how many litres are remaining when the low fuel light illuminates. That is effectively the reserve.

2 hours ago, dawjack said:

But I can only refill marginally over 28 litres to full. That suggests to me a full tank of about 30 litres. If the real tank size is 36 litres, that's a hidden reserve of about 6 litres/90 miles. Haven't seen this feature confirmed anywhere, and I'm a bit surprised by it. 

That's exactly my experience as well. I refuleld from almost empty twice in the last month due to a couple of vacation trips. I have the car for exactly a year usually I never drop so low on fuel.

So the first time I had the low fuel light come on at around 35 km or 22 miles left according to the indication on the dash, then drove a bit until refueling were I was at 18 km or 11 miles left. The manual says that when the warning light comes on you have about 6 Lt left in the tank. Therefore I was super confused because 6 Lt can take me more than 100km or 62 miles. I refuleld for 28 litres.

Then the second time again light comes on at 35 km left and refuled at 5km left for about 31 litres. 

Therefore I guess the full tank is as you said 30 litres with a 6 litres reserve.

1 hour ago, Noggen said:

Therefore I guess the full tank is as you said 30 litres with a 6 litres reserve.

Still a 36 litre tank - just that the low fuel light comes on when there are around 6 litres remaining.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Still a 36 litre tank - just that the low fuel light comes on when there are around 6 litres remaining.

Well yes but no.

The dash display shows you the distance left as if the car had a 30 litre tank, but you just know that since the light has come on you have another 6 litres remaining and in terms of distance left you have what the car shows you plus what you can get out of that 6 litre reserve.

It would make sense if the warning light came on at 6 litres remaining just as supposed and the remaining distance was accurate to the full capacity of the tank. Especially in such an economical car in which 6 litres can almost get you 200km.

Anyway I know you are not supposed to run the tank that low often so this just encyclopedic info I guess.

1 hour ago, Noggen said:

The dash display shows you the distance left as if the car had a 30 litre tank

Presumably the readout shows the range until the low fuel light comes on.  You really don't want to run out of fuel in a hybrid as repairs would be expensive,  so Toyota is being conservative and letting you know you're low on fuel well in advance.

• Like 1

I still haven't gotten over how weird it is, covering 400-500 miles and then only being able to fit in 26-28L!

I almost always finish refuelling before everyone that's arrived before me :laugh: