Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid - electric mode Toyota Yaris Cross

adidas_

I know the car moves between the 2 modes. How much does it realistically save you in petrol with the car switching between the two modes? How much time is spent in respective modes- city driving and motorway driving?

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Title amended to 'Yaris Cross'

Presumably you mean the Yaris Cross ??

Hi, 

savings are huge over non hybrid cars but this is not all. The whole driving experience is completely different, it’s smoother than other cars, very close to full electric cars, there are no gears , clutch, shift shocks, and all power available immediately, just floor it and the car comes to live. The hybrid system switches between petrol and electric all the time and in normal driving conditions when at lower speeds and loads , town driving or B roads can remain in ev over 50% of the total time driving. You can check that on the screen or the app when you get the car. The only hybrids that really works are only Toyota/Lexus. They are also more simple than standard automatic transmission cars and has less problems, actually no issues at all. Best to watch some videos about Prius and how Toyota hybrid system works to learn and understand all about these cars. Currently if you want to buy a new car that it’s not fully electric there are no better choice than Toyota hybrids., any model you like. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably you mean the Yaris Cross ??

Yes

20 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

savings are huge over non hybrid cars but this is not all. The whole driving experience is completely different, it’s smoother than other cars, very close to full electric cars, there are no gears , clutch, shift shocks, and all power available immediately, just floor it and the car comes to live. The hybrid system switches between petrol and electric all the time and in normal driving conditions when at lower speeds and loads , town driving or B roads can remain in ev over 50% of the total time driving. You can check that on the screen or the app when you get the car. The only hybrids that really works are only Toyota/Lexus. They are also more simple than standard automatic transmission cars and has less problems, actually no issues at all. Best to watch some videos about Prius and how Toyota hybrid system works to learn and understand all about these cars. Currently if you want to buy a new car that it’s not fully electric there are no better choice than Toyota hybrids., any model you like. 👍

Thanks I'll look at some videos too

• Like 1

The big difference with the latest generation Toyota hybrids is that they can operate in EV mode at up to 80 mph (I've personally experienced mid 60s on the motorway). Some other brands can only operate at lower speeds which means you can only save when driving in slow moving town traffic.

The phone app rates your driving at the end of the journey and provides tips on how to further improve efficiency by adjusting your driving style.

• Like 2

I regularly get 70-80mpg in my Mk4 Yaris hybrid - I can't think of any other car that you can drive the way I do ('enthusiastically' :naughty: ) and get even close to such figures.

Even my old Mk1 diesel could 'only' get 64mpg with such a driving style, and that was already considered extremely efficient!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I regularly get 70-80mpg in my Mk4 Yaris hybrid - I can't think of any other car that you can drive the way I do ('enthusiastically' :naughty: ) and get even close to such figures.

Even my old Mk1 diesel could 'only' get 64mpg with such a driving style, and that was already considered extremely efficient!

You are cheating.  You have smaller wheels and tyres 🛞😂👌

• Haha 3

Shhhhh!! Stop giving away my secrets!! :whistling1:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adidas_ said:

I know the car moves between the 2 modes. How much does it realistically save you in petrol with the car switching between the two modes? How much time is spent in respective modes- city driving and motorway driving?

In the background, the car is always using the electric motors and Battery to run the engine at its most efficient. The car will swap modes happily to work out what is best. Even when it is using the engine, it's either charging or discharging the Battery to help push to try and get the best economy.

The car also runs a more efficient atkinson cycle engine, which wouldn't be as good in a non hybrid car, because of a lack of torque. The electric motors are great for torque, so make up for that shortcoming.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, adidas_ said:

I know the car moves between the 2 modes.

It really doesn't. When the ICE isn't running it reports EV Mode, but that's not a fixed point in the operation. The ICE is run at various times for various reasons.

Toyota's use of the term EV Mode is a bit misleading as these are never electric vehicles - all the power used ultimately comes from the ICE, regardless of whether it's running at the time.

• Like 2

Yeah, even Lexus are saying up to 70mph in ev mode. Ok it will but for a short time in ideal conditions or downhill when there is no need for ice to work. Hybrids are hybrids as explained all above, they always work in between both powers. The button for every mode can be useful for parking purposes, to move the car from one parking spot to another and only if you have over half Battery charge, plus you need to turn off hvac fan immediately after you start the car. 

17 hours ago, adidas_ said:

How much time is spent in respective modes- city driving and motorway driving?

On my last 100 km trip, on essentially B roads, I was 67% in electric mode and the My T application reported 2,9 litres per 100 km, or 97 mpg.

OTOH, that was mostly downhill! I haven’t done the return trip yet.

My overall average stands at slightly over 4litres/100km over 6 months and 8000 km.

• Like 2

Another way of considering EV mode it is indicates when a pure ICE would be burning and turning even when going down hill and engine breaking. 

Stop/start in an ICE addresses the issue of wasting fuel when stopped but a friend with SS in his Jaguar found it annoying. 

I fitted stop/start in my SAAB over 40 years ago but took it out after a short time.  Actually our driving conditions were unsuitable, leaving home 3 give away in 200 yards and no stops on either 20 or 40 mile journeys. 

I think a lot of the efficiency at high speed comes from the CVT gearbox and it's ability to minimise resistance (engine braking) when coasting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

On my last 100 km trip, on essentially B roads, I was 67% in electric mode and the My T application reported 2,9 litres per 100 km, or 97 mpg.

OTOH, that was mostly downhill! I haven’t done the return trip yet.

My overall average stands at slightly over 4litres/100km over 6 months and 8000 km.

Well done, these are impressive figures, Prius field, even better 👌👍