Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My T and insurance

soldays

My insurance is coming up for renewal and whilst doing the annual searches etc., I just thought.....could we class our car location on 'My T' as a car tracker, since it always gives the current location! I appreciate that it is not a fitted device  but ... opinions please. Thanks

Insurance companies only want to know if its an insurance approved tracking device.

A Corolla is classed as a low risk vehicle so most if not all insurance companies wont even require a tracker to be fitted. 

As for tracking via My T - depends if its working correctly at the time. 

Hi,

I asked the same question and was told by few on here and even from my dealer that for insurance purposes MyT tracking is not a tracker in terms of the question asked on insurance websites so I would say no to that.

Oops, I think I may have selected the yes its tracked option. 

3 minutes ago, Chuffmonkey said:

Oops, I think I may have selected the yes its tracked option. 

Well it's not officially tracked i believe for insurance purposes, but it's still tracked by the app. Or have i got that wrong?

The thing is it's about as much a tracker as leaving your mobile phone in the car with Find my Phone running or something; It's nowhere near as capable as a real tracker, which are self-powered and also have near-range radio beacons for triangulation and precise locating, even when it's under something that blocks GPS.

I've watched some on youtube, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/c/AutomatricsMtrack/videos

as it's nice seeing stolen vehicles located; Something normally rare despite all the Big Brother cameras everywhere...!

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The thing is it's about as much a tracker as leaving your mobile phone in the car with Find my Phone running or something; It's nowhere near as capable as a real tracker, which are self-powered and also have near-range radio beacons for triangulation and precise locating, even when it's under something that blocks GPS.

I've watched some on youtube, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/c/AutomatricsMtrack/videos

as it's nice seeing stolen vehicles located; Something normally rare despite all the Big Brother cameras everywhere...!

There was a guy in the paper who had his headphones stolen by a ba employee and now via the app see's his headphones daily going from London to Heathrow 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/passenger-accuses-ba-worker-stealing-27353844

It's not accurate, but it's still very good my Tapp 

Yeah but I bet it doesn't have the accuracy for them to actually *find* the headphones, and that's the problem. Proper trackers can ping stuff real-time with directional radar pulses after getting a rough location via GPS and quickly get within yards.

GPS is actually pretty bad accuracy-wise; Car GPS do a lot of fudging and logic to pretend it has a precise location for you; If you have one that lets you turn off things like road-locking/tracking and cell-tower triangulation, it's fascinating to see how off it can be, e.g. sometimes thinking you're in the field to the side!

• Like 1

Car Satnav uses snap to road.  On one road in Lincolnshire the A road jinked.  There was a parallel track which the car Satnav tracked.  

You see the same if you divert off a recommended route, or place like spaghetti junction. 

Gibraltar is great, it doesn't know whether you're coming or going as you ascend. 

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.