Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Horn Upgrade?

152bobby

The only usual difference on the horn is the type of connector, Toyota usually use a spade connector, most new horns come with a post and nut arrangement where you put an eyelet connector on it

Mk2 aygo horn is 86520-0D140 (low pitched) there is also an alternative high pitch horn as fitted to the PAB40 (1.2 PP engine) 86510-0H020

The connector is a 6.3mm spade in a housing 90980–10619

eg.

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~housing-connector-f~90980-10619.html

• Like 1

I have both my new Aygo X and my daughter's MK2 Aygo in my garage and did a sound comparison on the horns.  They are identical and from what I can see of the actual horns behind the front grill, they also look identical !!

Toyota are famous for using the same parts on various models for decades, so no surprise!!

Same here, changed our 107's years ago as had same issue other drivers not noticing the puny stock horn.

So going back to my simple question, would a horn from say a Rav4 or similar, simply plug and play on the Aygo X ? Assuming the connector is the same ? And no issues with it pulling/using more power etc !!

Most Toyota's are fused to 10a typically the pull circa 4a

rav4 horn up to 19 86520-20300

• Like 1

If I can find a straight plug and play, I'd prefer to buy a brand new replacement, to go with my brand new car !!

Bored waiting for my Lady in a Super Market Car Park, yards away from Danger, I tested my Horn.

Lady near-by nearly collapsed,numerous Punters looked & I was impressed.

Tel

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Tel 2 said:

Bored waiting for my Lady in a Super Market Car Park, yards away from Danger, I tested my Horn.

Lady near-by nearly collapsed,numerous Punters looked & I was impressed.

Tel

Tel, that's in a car park that's quiet, the horn is useless in a busy high street environment and is totally non existent on a motorway!!!

• Like 1

I'd like to reprogram the AVAS speaker to play For Whom the Bell Tolls or Dawn of Battle or something like that...  :naughty: :laugh: 

• 1 month later...

So, back on this topic, after two times today,  I had to use my Aygo X Cross horn to let other drivers aware that I was there and they never heard it.....its totally ridiculous AND dangerous....I had to swiftly go into reverse to avoid someone else reversing into me, they just did not hear my horn and obviously not see me in his/ her mirrors, it was so obvious I was there.

So in preparation for when I get my NEW replacement Aygo X Cross, has anyone got details on how to access the horn behind the front grill ?

I don't care how much this costs, I am upgrading the horn to a horn that is fit for purpose.

Sorry....that's my rant for the day 🤐

To be fair, I've seen people do such things with an artic blaring their horn at them and they were equally oblivious; I think the problem is less the horn and more that there are a lot of drivers out there who shouldn't be allowed to drive, but since apparently we're going to fix this by removing more and more control from the driver rather than improving driving standards, I think getting Kingo's train horn for your Aygox is an appropriate response :laugh: 

The horn's normally attached to one of the cross support bars in front of the radiator so shouldn't be too hard to swap out.

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

To be fair, I've seen people do such things with an artic blaring their horn at them and they were equally oblivious; I think the problem is less the horn and more that there are a lot of drivers out there who shouldn't be allowed to drive, but since apparently we're going to fix this by removing more and more control from the driver rather than improving driving standards, I think getting Kingo's train horn for your Aygox is an appropriate response :laugh: 

The horn's normally attached to one of the cross support bars in front of the radiator so shouldn't be too hard to swap out.

I can see it through the front grill and it looks pretty simple once I get to it.

I just want to know if anyone has details on what to "undo" at the rear to get to it without breaking anything.

• Like 1

I can't give you any idea how to access the horn behind the grill.

But have you looked into any aftermarket horns such as fiamma?

I don't know if this would affect your warranty, but given that cost is no matter, it would be irrelevant.

I of course,am a bit behind the times with add on gear, it used to be bolt on your air horn to a suitable bit of metal, or the inner wing, and a couple of spade connectors from the original horn, to the new one.

Maybe now, it is all computerized and not so easy, but assuming that this is important to you, then there must be a way.

Other drivers may not be blind and deaf, just need a bit of help to realise that you are there.😂

• Like 1

I had a look at Fiamm Car horns, a bit too much, I prefer just a simple upgrade to a horn from one of the bigger Toyota cars, such as the Rav4.

• Like 1

Maybe get one of those Collapsed Sun light bars too for extra emphasis! (If they're not already deaf and blind they will be! :naughty: :laugh: )

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Maybe get one of those Collapsed Sun light bars too for extra emphasis! (If they're not already deaf and blind they will be! :naughty: :laugh: )

I used to get wound up about drivers who sat on their brake lights, especially in rain and darkness, dazzling all those behind with hi level,hi intensity gear.

It's ok now though, as I understand that some systems hold the brake light on , and some drivers don't give a rat's **** about anyone other than themselves.

Back here again are we, and i thought i was bad at procrastinating  😉

as previously posted, the correct part numbers and plug type

at a minimum, it's a release the top of the bumper job, at worst it's remove the bumper, the car is so new i don't have any info

service manuals are paid access at https://www.toyota-tech.eu

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I used to get wound up about drivers who sat on their brake lights, especially in rain and darkness, dazzling all those behind with hi level,hi intensity gear.

It's ok now though, as I understand that some systems hold the brake light on , and some drivers don't give a rat's **** about anyone other than themselves.

I do too, esp. with everyone switching to super bright LEDs, and at this sort of time of year where I'm usually driving home at twilight. I can literally shut my eyes and still tell when traffic is moving off because I can see the brake lights through my closed eyelids!

I'd always go handbrake + neutral in my previous manual cars (Drilled into me by my driving instructor! :eek: ), and was usually the only person without their brake-lights on in a sea of brake lights!

Sadly, due to the peculiarities of the Mk4, I have finally given in and joined the dark side (Or the blinding brake light-side I guess!) as the only convenient way I've found to hold the car is with the brake hold! :sad: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links