Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 PHEV Domestic 3Pin Plug Charging

marlinleg

1 minute ago, marlinleg said:

Hello to one and all. I have just been to my Toyota Dealership and booked a test drive tomorrow 12 July in the RAV4 PHEV I will post my views tomorrow Thank you 

Make sure they charge the traction Battery so you can test in EV mode as well as switching to HEV mode. I think if you enjoy driving your current car you will love the PHEV.

• Like 1

Don't forget to give it the beans - it really flies 👍.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Don't forget to give it the beans - it really flies 👍.

Yes, it’s surprisingly quick for a weighty car.

In researching what was required to fit a 32A charger in my garage, I found that the wiring regulations require the fitting of an earthing rod, or electronically controlled measures to guard against particular faults in the earthing system, which could result in the car's body becoming live at 240V ac.  The requirement applies to vehicles which are recharged in the open, but not in a building.  The reason for this is not made clear, but may be a fear that wet surface would assist a path the ground through the human body.  Why this would not apply to a granny charger is not obvious.

I did not want to have an earthing rod fitted, so I went the other route, and fitted a matt:e box.  I used a two way switch unit so that the box could either supply my 32A charger, or a 13A socket, so I could use a granny charger if required.  The unit has a mid position which is off, giving me a handy safety switch as well.

52 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Is your charger 11kw?

A 32A charger delivers 7.4kW ...

• Thanks 1

Re the naming of the 'Granny Cable', I thought it was so named like granny parking was ie minimise the hassle and seek out the easiest solution as you're wise enough to recognise that making life difficult for yourself is just part of growing up.

I don't disagree with Toyota owners praise for their PHEVs and I don't doubt that RAV4s are technically the best you can get and probably most satisfying to drive. However for those whose budget is more modest I have to say that my experience of the Hyundai Tucson PHEV mirrors the experience of contributors here with less electric range being the only obvious difference. Charging at 10 amps usually completes in about 6 hours reflecting the slightly lower Battery capacity. 

Update I had a test drive of the Toyota RAV4 PHEV Er yes it's Quick very quick

Opps pressed submit to quick 😂😂 I have had a test drive this morning Rav4 PHEV wonderful very impressed with the car.

i have placed my order for a RAV4 PHEV Design in Metallic-Decuma Grey. ETA May. It may well get pushed back date wise, but I had to wait 40yrs for my first new car due to a mortgage 🥴. I was told my price is locked in as I have paid a deposit , also I Qualify for a free Wall mounted EV charger fitted by British Gas. Once again thank you all. 👏👏👏👏👏  please feel free to tell me anything relevant to the car 

• Like 2

Ten months wait - crikey! How the world has changed.

At least you won't have to pay a subscription monthly to use your heated seats - a la BMW!

And, at least your current wheels are a nice place to be until said motor arrives.

Phillip, great news and welcome to probably the most satisfied group of owners of any product out there. The PHEV Rav4 does really deliver and doesn't shout about it, no cruising the streets for admiring glances, as per latest Audi adverts, not a car for a narcissist I'm afraid.  

8 minutes ago, NASY said:

not a car for a narcissist I'm afraid...................

You speak for yourself 🤪🤪🤪

I speak for my reflected image in the most beautiful water of life, only ever visited by me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, has anyone tried charging at DC charger? Do I need CCS Type 2 cable to do so? The car has been impressive so far. I have been charging it at home from a wall box and it take just over 2.5 hours to charge. I will be making a journey through Europe in a weeks time and would like to DC charge the Battery from time to time.   

23 minutes ago, AliveKo5 said:

Hi all, has anyone tried charging at DC charger? Do I need CCS Type 2 cable to do so? The car has been impressive so far. I have been charging it at home from a wall box and it take just over 2.5 hours to charge. I will be making a journey through Europe in a weeks time and would like to DC charge the battery from time to time.   

I don't believe that the PHEV supports DC charging - it doesn't really need to. You are limited to AC chargers up to 22kW but the charge rate will be limited by the 6.6kW onboard charger ... I think ...

• Like 1

Philip is correct, AC mode 2 chargers only.

2 hours ago, AliveKo5 said:

Hi all, has anyone tried charging at DC charger? Do I need CCS Type 2 cable to do so? The car has been impressive so far. I have been charging it at home from a wall box and it take just over 2.5 hours to charge. I will be making a journey through Europe in a weeks time and would like to DC charge the Battery from time to time. 

Sorry wrong reply 

Hi i am learning everything I can for my new ordered rav4 phev  can I use high voltage charger safely away from home as the free installed charger is 7.4Kw I don’t know anything bout PHEV charging thank you 

1 hour ago, marlinleg said:

Hi i am learning everything I can for my new ordered rav4 phev  can I use high voltage charger safely away from home as the free installed charger is 7.4Kw I don’t know anything bout PHEV charging thank you 

As above, you are free to use AC chargers up to 22kW but the charge rate will be limited by the 6.6kW onboard charger. The PHEV doesn't support rapid DC charging - it's a plug-in hybrid rather than a BEV.

Thank you all for the help. I have spoken to Toyota dealerships and was made to believe that DC charging is available to Rav4 PHEV.   

I suppose you spoke to a salesman.  Half the time, they don't know, and just make it up, or tell you what they think you want to hear.

With waiting lists what they are, they don't have much incentive to sharpen up and be professional.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links