Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sunroof?

Alnwickist

Is it possible to install a glass or fabric sunroof in my 2008 Aygo?

The aygo did come with a canvas roof (mk2), I would think it's next to impossible to retrofit

Sunroof - Webasto not cheap but quality, avoid the no name Chinese junk not sure what the going rate is but imho you're looking at £900-1400 fitted unless you can pick one up used and fit yourself

I must admit I wouldn't mind paying that for a powered tilt/slide sunroof (I do love a decent sunroof, but not this panoramic stupidness) but I've never heard good things about after-market ones in the long term - Anecdotally they all either fail, or leak or both, and often the drainage channels never get put in right (Or at all!)

I think it'd be impossible on my Yaris anyway due to the 'double-bubble' roof!

Remember back in the day our similar age Peugeot 107 there was an official Peugeot 107 accessory sunroof, so presume dealer fit. It was £200-£300 + fitting so probably a tilt n pop-out jobby. Having had a manual tilt n slide sunroof on a previous car, which was brilliant on what was a very basic car, anything less wouldn't cut the mustard + with the stock cars propensity to leak cutting another rather large hole could just add to the woes!

• Haha 1

Thank you all for your advice. I think need to leave well alone!!

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

I must admit I wouldn't mind paying that for a powered tilt/slide sunroof (I do love a decent sunroof, but not this panoramic stupidness) but I've never heard good things about after-market ones in the long term - Anecdotally they all either fail, or leak or both, and often the drainage channels never get put in right (Or at all!)

I think it'd be impossible on my Yaris anyway due to the 'double-bubble' roof!

So does double bubble refer to the roof shape on your mk 4 Cyker ?

As in a twin bulge, I have not noticed on the ones I've seen round here.

Also did you have one on your d4d?

I have had the one on the tsport open today on my way back from the food shopping, stupidly I didn't notice the Aircon was still on from the drive up there with roof closed.

All sorts of fans were whirring away when I noticed, hope I have done no damage.😖

It's a wind open one, but works very smoothly still.

Yeah, the roof shape; It's not really a bubble, but there are two parallel 'creases' in the roof from front to back. Not sure why (Structural? Aero??) but it's not flat which would make an aftermarket sunroof even more unlikely!

My D4D had a sunroof similar to your T-Sport with the flimsy handle and giant wheel :laugh: 

You should be okay as one of the best things about it was, when you got in on a blazing hot day and the inside was like an oven, you could tilt it open with the AC on and it would flush the interior with cold air much faster as all the hot air could be pushed out the top, without all the cold air escaping from the car like it does if you do it with the windows open.

I'd always leave it open until the AC cooled the car down in summer before I shut it (Even left it tilted when parked so the interior wouldn't get so oven-like!. It's one of several things the Mk1 had that I do miss in the Mk4...

Aye, the giant wheel reminds me of wagon wheels in the 60s(kids choc and marshmallow biscuits for those younger members)

Childhood memory is a funny thing, but they were as big as a minilite wheel on a cooper s as I remember.

Although in these temperatures they would soon be a sticky blob on the floor, even hotter where you are probably.

I shall try that tilt the roof tip with AC on tomorrow thanks.

• Like 1

Wagon Wheels are still a thing aren't they??? Or am I old now :fear: 

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

Wagon Wheels are still a thing aren't they??? Or am I old now :fear: 

Still in most supermarkets, as jam filled, milk and dark chocolate versions.

• Like 2

I wrongly was assuming that they had disappeared years ago, not having looked for them since around 1965.

Had a look online and they are as you say Petrol Dave, everywhere.

I will get a pack next time I'm out shopping for a nostalgia trip, it doesn't look as though you can buy them singly now though for 3d.

So no Cyker, you are not old now, just me being out of touch with things.

• Haha 1

You will be disappointed, the sugar tax killed the texture, flavour and the biscuit is hard, I'm partial to Mikado aka Jam mallows, but you can only find them in Sainsbury down the international food isle, another thing i go for is the Polish Mieszko Marcepanki (marzipan in dark chocolate)

• Like 1

I like the sound of that Polish one.

Topic wise though, I did have a after market sun roof fitted to my Citroen AX when it was nearly new.

Luckily I had a friend who worked for one of the autoglass type firms, and he sourced and fitted for me,it was a bit primitive, just tilt or lift off and stow somewhere.

And then find the plastic wind deflector and slot it in.

It did look fairly smart though,as the glass was dotted with red decor which matched the body colour.

Nowadays however, I tend to leave cars totally standard.

• Like 1

Sealants have come a long way since the 70-90's something like PU sealant or a screen bond will out last the car, preparation is key tho

• Like 1

Ugh don't get me started on the sugar tax!!!!

The really good thing about the Mk1's sunroof is it has a very generous... sump?? around the edge to catch drips and a pipe to drain it down one of the B-pillars (IIRC), so even if the sunroof leaks like a sieve it won't leak into the car.

My Fiesta's one had no such thing (Just a big rubber gasket that the glass? clamped down on when shut, which it would also stick to in summer making opening it a PITA), and a lot of after-market ones don't seem to either, which is another reason I'm not keen on it; I've seen headlinings been completely destroyed by a leaky aftermarket sunroof!

I've had mixed experience of glass sunroofs - good experiences with factory fitted sunroofs that include proper drainage pipes, and bad experiences with aftermarket sunroofs such as Webasto which just rely on sealing to be waterproof (and in my case wasn't).

Personally I don't like fabric sunroofs because of the security risk from some lowlife with a knife.

• Like 2

That'd be my view too - Factory-fit = Good, Aftermarket = Less so...

Also not a big fan of any external fabric on a car - They require regular maintenance to stop them getting mouldy, and even if you do they have a finite life as the bend points will eventually wear through if they are actually used regularly. (And if they aren't what's the point??)

• Like 1

Huh, apparently Webasto stopped selling aftermarket sunroofs last year so I guess the topic is moot now anyway!

• Like 1