Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mandatory speed limiters now a requirement..........

Janx1975

Then, safe in the knowledge that you are driving within the speed limit, don't be surprised on a country road that 60 is NOT SAFE. 

2 hours ago, RickyC said:

AFAIK it will not limit speed by cutting car performance but simly will stress driver with alerts ( lights, beep, vibrations ) to inviite him to reduce speed.

According to the article in the OP there are four options for manufacturers, two of which are nags as you mention, but two actually reduce the car speed unless you override it.

Apparently they are going to collect anonymous data about how the different systems perform and in 2025 review that to try and decide which system(s) should be used in future. So it's all a work in progress/large scale trial really.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Then, safe in the knowledge that you are driving within the speed limit, don't be surprised on a country road that 60 is NOT SAFE. 

That's already a problem with some people. Even 30 is too fast at times.

That is part of the problem too - There are roads where they have dropped the speed limit far too low for the road, so local people just ignore it, but non-locals tend to stick to it which increases the danger of the road above what it was before the speed limit was lowered.

Then there are other roads where the speed limit is stupidly high and you'd be suicidal to drive along it at that speed.

The thing is, most experienced drivers will drive at a sensible speed automatically for a given set of road conditions - The ones that don't should be retrained or removed. This is something that needs to be dealt with at driver level - Trying to throw technology at it is just going to make it worse as the difference between haves and have-nots is increased (And as I repeatedly say, speed is not the problem, it's changes/differences in speed where danger occurs!)

• Like 1

Great today, 30 mph restriction.  Car picked up the third 30 sign.  It did not see the derestriction signs.  When we went onto the next road or reverted to 60.  Shortly after a temporary 40 but ignored. 

Disinformation from an Impeccable source 😁

https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-advice/speed-limiters-what-they-mean-for-you/?utm_source=OracleResponsys&utm_medium=email&utm_content=PCP_news&utm_campaign=PCP-E-B-220711-NEWSL-ENG-NEW&email_hash=8f9c46135c23ea9a7b905eaf186e28b8

When you get into the meat of the article it get nearer the truth :

"All new cars made from that July 2022 date need to be fitted with the technology, but the new cars that have already been launched this year, without ISA, have until 2024 to have the tech fitted. That said, it is believed that Ford and Volvo have both been integrating the devices into their vehicles and just not yet activating them."

14 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

"All new cars made from that July 2022 date need to be fitted with the technology, but the new cars that have already been launched this year, without ISA, have until 2024 to have the tech fitted.

My post of Thursday 7th July already stated this.

Frosty, THAT is Exactly why I stated Disinformation and it is not as explicit as your post. 

'new cars that have already been launched' seems to be different from what you said, and the headline was completely misleading. 

And then you get people who drive like this.

This was taken from my Dashcam. Note that I'm doing 27mph in a 30 zone when I'm overtaken. I caught up with this guy a mile later when he had to stop at the lights. All in all he saved about 10 seconds

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

'new cars that have already been launched' seems to be different from what you said

This and past legislation (e.g. daytime running lights, tpms, etc) depends when Type Approval is awarded on cars. 

From 6th July new cars with new Type Approval will require ISA to be fitted. New cars with existing Type Approval awarded before the given date, have until 2024  before ISA becomes a legal requirement.

Often manufacturers fit equipment to comply with new legislation before the due date - so we'll probably find that ISA gets fitted to those cars with existing Type Approval some months before July 2024 (e.g. as part of a model year update).

Given the flaky accuracy of the speed limit display, it calls into question how reliable the speed limiters will be. (My two RAV4's have been quite different in their accuracy).

This legislation opens a VERY big can of worms.

Thoughts?????????????????

It's only for new type approvals, so doesn't affect current models

it will be a nagging system rather than an actual limiter

I've found the Road Sign Recognition function a bit hit and miss, e.g  doesn't always acknowledge a change in max speed and displays an incorrect speed limit even though a new road speed sign has been visible. Assuming this is the technology it uses, it's going to be a bit of a pain the as* to have to override each time.

1 hour ago, Hayzee said:

I've found the Road Sign Recognition function a bit hit and miss, e.g  doesn't always acknowledge a change in max speed and displays an incorrect speed limit even though a new road speed sign has been visible. Assuming this is the technology it uses, it's going to be a bit of a pain the as* to have to override each time.

Mirror those observations but also the one that really gets to me is when it hangs on to a detected speed limit (correctly) then does not adjust to a new limit. In my area we have a lot of 20mph limits on most roads that are off the main A roads running through the town, get onto the A road and it still shows 20mph. This is very similar to detected speed changes on motorways that never seem to notice the derestricted signs. 

Sounds like a bit of hassle to me thankfully mine also is hit and miss i just get a reminder beep in my display occasionally but i tend to drive as much as i can in cruise control (Yaris Cross 22 plate) what is more annoying for me is i have discovered i can no longer change my Speed to MPH from Kilomiters or MPG insted of L/ per 100k as i used to do in my 20 CHR, i asked how am i supposed to tell what speed i am doing if i drive in England or the North of Ireland and i was told i would have to change ny Imtrement display to UK spec, The Lane assist reset button is a godsend once i found out after having the stearing wheel ajusted manualy and a BEEP everytime i crossed a white line !! Anyway enjoy your cars

28 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Mirror those observations but also the one that really gets to me is when it hangs on to a detected speed limit (correctly) then does not adjust to a new limit. In my area we have a lot of 20mph limits on most roads that are off the main A roads running through the town, get onto the A road and it still shows 20mph. This is very similar to detected speed changes on motorways that never seem to notice the derestricted signs. 

Absolutely agree - it doesn't seem to recognise the 'derestriction' sign and, of course, on motorways with variable speed limits it doesn't notice the 'blank' sign that signals the end of the previous limit - I'm not entirely sure that we can blame the car / recognition system for that though since there is nothing to recognise.