Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have anyone tried Runflat tyres

Ameer O

Hi All

Have anyone tried Runflat tyres for Toyota Corolla? I am planning to replace my front tyres and want to buy a good quality tyres.

How it is ? Noise level? Do you recommend it?

thank you in advance 

I'm running Michelin Primacy 3(?) on our 5-series (G31) estate and they are fine. The car is new enough that I've not run anything else on there so can't compare, but it's not something that stands out as particularly bad. Decent grip and fine in terms of noise. 

That said, run flats are by design stiffer in their construction and will give a more unsettled ride. And with the choice of roadside assistance available, including European cover, I'm not sure it necessarily matters much if you can continue limping on for a short while on run flats.

Personally, I'll probably change to all-season tyres as I've been really impressed by the CrossClimates, also from Michelin, + roadside assistance cover and a bottle of emergency tyre goo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, APS said:

I'm running Michelin Primacy 3(?) on our 5-series (G31) estate and they are fine. The car is new enough that I've not run anything else on there so can't compare, but it's not something that stands out as particularly bad. Decent grip and fine in terms of noise. 

That said, run flats are by design stiffer in their construction and will give a more unsettled ride. And with the choice of roadside assistance available, including European cover, I'm not sure it necessarily matters much if you can continue limping on for a short while on run flats.

Personally, I'll probably change to all-season tyres as I've been really impressed by the CrossClimates, also from Michelin, + roadside assistance cover and a bottle of emergency tyre goo.

Thank you for your reply 

I wouldn’t recommend you to buy run flat tyres unless they are factory spec for you make and model, even then switch to standard tyres either touring or uhp will be a better option. Smother drive, less noises and vibrations, better handling, pretty much everything is better except if you have a puncture. 👍

• Like 3

Do run flats not need a different rim?  Seal inside tyres could be a compromise.

26 minutes ago, Kental said:

Do run flats not need a different rim?  Seal inside tyres could be a compromise.

No, but they do insist that your car has a TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system).

• Like 1

We out a Lexus UX out for test drive which had run flats we found there was a lot of road noise and the road handling was poor.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Leo63 said:

We out a Lexus UX out for test drive which had run flats we found there was a lot of road noise and the road handling was poor.

Thank you for your reply 

On 7/12/2022 at 8:41 PM, TonyHSD said:

I wouldn’t recommend you to buy run flat tyres unless they are factory spec for you make and model, even then switch to standard tyres either touring or uhp will be a better option. Smother drive, less noises and vibrations, better handling, pretty much everything is better except if you have a puncture. 👍

Thanks for your reply 

9 hours ago, Kental said:

Depends on the type - Some used a radial brace thing in the rim, while others just have stiffer/reinforced sidewalls.

They aren't popular as they make the ride worse.

I must admit I'd have liked to see self-sealing tyres become more prevalent - I imagine they'd be as effective as the PunctureSafe stuff I tried, but without the horrible tyre imbalance, as the self-sealing tyres usually have a solid sealant instead of a liquid one.

They only seem to be available on larger tyre sizes and the markup is a bit excessive IMHO.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Depends on the type - Some used a radial brace thing in the rim, while others just have stiffer/reinforced sidewalls.

They aren't popular as they make the ride worse.

I must admit I'd have liked to see self-sealing tyres become more prevalent - I imagine they'd be as effective as the PunctureSafe stuff I tried, but without the horrible tyre imbalance, as the self-sealing tyres usually have a solid sealant instead of a liquid one.

They only seem to be available on larger tyre sizes and the markup is a bit excessive IMHO.

Thank you very much for your reply 

• Like 1

I used to have RunFlatTires for my Sienna limited AWD. It is horrible, wear so fast and really uncomfortable, plus stupid expensive and not all shop can repair it properly.  

Most people remove runflat tires and install regular tires for comfort, lifespan, and cost.  I prefer to buy a spare tires and put it in the trunk. I put full size used Mazda 16" wheel on my AurisTS 2016. It fits like a gloves and I can still put tons of stuff without loosing too much room. Just removed the foam completely. Any 205/55R16 wheel from Nissan, Honda civic/accord, Mazda3, Mitsubishi, Hyundai i30 are often compatible with Auris/Corolla wheel pattern and it is legal as a spare tire. I got full size 205/55/R16 wheel for €20, can go as and as fast as I can unlike donut/spacesaver wheel that only can go 50mph, 50 miles.  

Run flat tire is the stupidest invention that no one ask for, except to curse them.

Remember, runflat tires cannot be used again once you ride it on for 1 mile or more. Maximum 50 miles range is just maximum but your tires cannot be used again once you ride it on when it is flat. It does not destroy the rim but it is still junk. Very stupid selling point. 

• Like 1