Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Mk2 LH Airbag Intermittent Fault

Colin-Rav4

Hi,

After a bit of information regarding airbag module location and wiring. I have one of the last of the Mark 2s it is an XT5 model (RH drive) over the last few years the airbag light has flashed on sometimes. It always goes out on start up, and on reading the fault codes there is no fault found, but if you check the history codes it is always the LH airbag that has had a temporary fault. More recently the warning light has flashed on multiple times, and sometimes even stayed on, but again staring the car the airbag light always goes out, and the code reader finds no fault except the historical LH airbag one (which I wipe every time I read the codes). I suspect the issue may be the wiring and poor contacts, as I believe the sense system runs at a fairly low voltage (4-5v?). So to investigate further I need to start removing trim, and to minimize the task I wonder if anyone can tell me where the airbag module is located (I have heard it's under the passenager-LH seat) and where the connection the the left hand airbag is (assuming this is the "curtain bag" in the roof). I am aware the airbags themselves are "sensitive" and will only be checking the wiring once dis-connected.

Regards

Colin

Rav4 Mk2 2005

Rav4 Mk3 2006

Yaris SR 2011

Do you have the actual code ?

Sorry, forgot to add it. The code is B1625 and reads "Left Hand Airbag".

Regards

Colin

OK B1625 is a Side airbag sensor assembly malfunction ( passenger side )

image.thumb.png.45901d8c46176c3bd94b0fc556e970bd.pngimage.thumb.png.f96a54c739c31f43fb5ceea21e643928.pngimage.thumb.png.0d91ccd9f0e794291679ca16d039528e.png

You have an issue with either the side airbag sensor assembly LH , the Air bag sensor ( SRS ECU ) or the harness between them, I suggest you visit www.toyota-terch.eu pay few £ for a couple hours access and download the manual for the car including the Diagnostics process for this one as there are lots of harness checks, as for the actual sensor the check is to literally swap the LH to the right and check if the fault code changes ( in this case to B1620 ) if it does fit a new LH sensor assy, otherwise assuming the harnesses are correct and swapping the sensor makes no difference, replace the Air bag sensor ( SRS ECU )

Many thanks for the information, the swap of left to right seems a very sensible starting point. I will start to investigate this weekend hopefully.

Regards

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some time to look at the Rav4 this weekend. Found the air bag sensor modules left and right, but unable to swop them over as they are handed by the mounting bracket, I would have to bend back the locking tabs on each to swop the modules over? Stayed with unpluging everything, including seat plugs and re-making the connections. Unable to unplug the air bag module on the centre tunnel as I could not get to it, could see it, but it is under the forward part of the centre console, which looks like you need to remove the heated seat switches/ashtray trim to remove. Must admit the ashtray/switch panel foxed me (screw in ashtray aperture and top of panel RH side) and I didn't want to force it.

Will see what tomorrows drive brings, but probably start looking for a second hand LH sensor module to start with, and swop that out first, if light keeps playing up with same error code.

Thanks for the diagrams in the reply, they were a great help.

Regards

Colin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links