Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris mk.2 rattles and noises

altair486ITA

Hello everyone, 

I have a Toyota Yaris 1000 3cyl., 2007, 107k km. Two months ago I serviced the car and a friend of mine pointed out that a rattle sound was coming from the car, during start up. 

This sound seems like a chain rattle. The duration varies time to time. This is what I noticed:

- after the car sits down for more than 3-4h, the rattle lasts 1-2 sec. 

- If I turn on the car after a 10mins rest , no rattle is present 

- If I turn the car after 1-1.5h and before 3-4h, the rattle lasts longer, even more than 5 sec.

Before servicing I was not aware of these sounds. I only started to pay attention to strange noises after my friend suggestion (I am not able to tell if noises were present before service, unfortunately I was not paying attention... ). 

After some observation time, I went to a mechanic. The mechanic states that the used components are not correct. In his opinion the Castrol Edge Longlife 5w30 oil is not good for the Yaris engine and that mann oil filter should be replaced too. He states this oil does not lubrify correctly the engine upper part during cold starts. 

I honestly have some doubts regarding his opinion. Castrol and mann should be good brands. Also the new oil is 5w30, like suggested in the Yaris Handbook. 

What do you guys think? 

The mechanic is pretty sure that the chain should last much longer than 107k km if correctly maintained. You never know though... 

Another strange noise coming from the car is a subtle, lower rattle that I encounter with steady RPM (>2000) and which disappears if I slightly press or release the acceleration pedal. This noise is always present, especially when the car is quite hot. 

Do you guys have suggestions? 

Thanks a lot! 

Not sure of the oil specs for this vehicle, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm for you.

A video of the noise would be helpful 👍

Oil spec is correct. The timing chain should last for as long as the car does with regular oil/filter changes.

do you hear the rattling at around 2000rpm (ie around 1800 to 2200 approx)?  Does it sound like screws in a can?  If so, it might be the big end shells. 

That said, it might be worth dropping the oil pan to see if there's anything floating around there.  I would be surprised if there were an issue with the chains already. 

On a simpler note, any chance that eg the heatshield or anything else is hitting the exhaust?

Here are some videos. When I have a little more time, I try to register better ones. 

Worst Case: Yaris start up after 1h of rest. Before resting I drove for 45 mins. Hot weather: 32°C

(At some point of the video I pressed the acceleration pedal to hear differences) 

Better case: Yaris start up after 8h of rest. Car resting in garage, at 27 °C. 

Audio is not optimal but you can clearly hear the difference. In the morning the rattle is short. When the car is warm the rattle lasts longer. 

@corradovr6

It's something similar to what you are describing. This "2000 RPM" noise is different to the start-up noise though. 

Is it a "normal" issue? Sorry for the dumb question but I do not have such a big knowledge on engines

On 7/12/2022 at 11:39 PM, altair486ITA said:

Hello everyone, 

I have a Toyota Yaris 1000 3cyl., 2007, 107k km. Two months ago I serviced the car and a friend of mine pointed out that a rattle sound was coming from the car, during start up. 

This sound seems like a chain rattle. The duration varies time to time. This is what I noticed:

- after the car sits down for more than 3-4h, the rattle lasts 1-2 sec. 

- If I turn on the car after a 10mins rest , no rattle is present 

- If I turn the car after 1-1.5h and before 3-4h, the rattle lasts longer, even more than 5 sec.

Before servicing I was not aware of these sounds. I only started to pay attention to strange noises after my friend suggestion (I am not able to tell if noises were present before service, unfortunately I was not paying attention... ). 

After some observation time, I went to a mechanic. The mechanic states that the used components are not correct. In his opinion the Castrol Edge Longlife 5w30 oil is not good for the Yaris engine and that MANN oil filter should be replaced too. He states this oil does not lubrify correctly the engine upper part during cold starts. 

I honestly have some doubts regarding his opinion. Castrol and Mann should be good brands. Also the new oil is 5w30, like suggested in the Yaris Handbook. 

What do you guys think? 

The mechanic is pretty sure that the chain should last much longer than 107k km if correctly maintained. You never know though... 

Another strange noise coming from the car is a subtle, lower rattle that I encounter with steady RPM (>2000) and which disappears if I slightly press or release the acceleration pedal. This noise is always present, especially when the car is quite hot. 

Do you guys have suggestions? 

Thanks a lot! 

I wood check the heat baffele plates above the exhaust as one end somtimes drops down onto your exhaust and rattles off this you have at least two of them.

listening to the two video clips it does sound a bit like the heatshield on the exhaust.  You can reach the one at the back from the side, the front one you can get to from the engine bay.  If you can get a long screwdriver to use as a loudspeaker, put that on the exhaust with the handle next to your ear to see if then noise is indeed coming from there

I concur. Had the same noise on mine and bashed the heat shield away from the silencer and that cured it. Until I needed a new silencer and that was more square shaped than the older round one and the noise came back. More bashing away and it stopped the noise. Do NOT remove the shield as the exhaust is very close to the fuel tank!

I went to different a mechanic today. He told me it's probably the T-chain that is rattling, although he's not 100% sure. The fact that the rattle lasts longer when the engine is fairly hot puzzles him. 

I personally checked the heat shield over the silencer and it is OK. I will check the second one in the engine bay. I only have to find it! 

Anyway, tomorrow I will get a quotation for both T-chain and a control of the oil pan. Let's see...