Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Irritating reflections in the windscreen

Alnwickist

2008 Aygo Platinum: There are irritating (and distracting) reflections in the windscreen, due to the glossy mesh-like finish on dashboard. Any remedies?

Thank you Tomas, but not really practical as the cost of the product plus shipping is almost £100. Also, they only fit left-hand drive vehicles (mine is UK right-hand drive).

People and companies love to use glossy interior spray/wipes, use a good quality cleaner to remove the gunk

there are universal dash mats what can be sort cheaply

Amazon do a couple of tailored dash mats for the complete dash for £33 and £36 for the first generation Aygo. For the one you have to notify them it is for RHD.

Alternatively could try matt dashboard wipes which may, after a few applications, tone down the glossiness.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alnwickist said:

2008 Aygo Platinum: There are irritating (and distracting) reflections in the windscreen, due to the glossy mesh-like finish on dashboard. Any remedies?

I'd love a dash cover or similar if there was a UK supplier, if only

But, the only effective solution I know works is Polaroid Sunglasses

As a temporary fix you could try some of the anti slip matting that can be found in places like Poundland.  The matt is clingy and I use it to place a sat nav on the top of the dash to keep it in place.  It is black with almost matt to it.

oh god i remember my courtesy car C1 had a dash that was a bit like that - It looked liked the windscreen was covered in rain drops that you couldn't wipe away!

My solution was a black towel :laugh: 

I have a similar issue in the Mk4 Yaris, as in very strong reflections on the windscreen. Annoyingly I can't use my polarized glasses to filter them out as it also filters out the HUD display! :crybaby: 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

Annoyingly I can't use my polarized glasses to filter them out as it also filters out the HUD display! :crybaby: 

Now, I don't feel at all bad at not stumping the extra 2500 € for the HUD display, although I don't use sunglasses that often in whilst driving.

• Like 2

I don’t know how people can like HUD’s,  I had a couple of Priuses with hud and since day one I tried and I did not liked at all. It goes straight into my eyes and cause me a headache and dizziness, plus on top of that made me feel like I am not on the road but in a play station, or flying a jet, it takes away road connection, similar to watch your infotainment screen for over 2 seconds. Anyway, it’s perhaps just me. 
Now for the dashboard I clean with dettol antibacterial spray on microfibre cloth and the dash plastics are never shiny but always Matt clean, very little reflection. Also keeping the window nice and clean from both inside and outside also helps reduce sun glare. 👍

If you want to cover with something and there are no available pre cut peace’s you can buy synthetic or real suede from somewhere and cut to measure and attach with double sided thin tape . Rally cars has dashboard and wheel covered with those material 

image.thumb.png.30a80409064cced6fac724a20400084d.png

Picture of one of the dash mats that cover the whole dash that I mentioned which are on sale on Amazon. This is the Frigenn version which costs £36 - delivery currently 1st to the 6th August.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Now, I don't feel at all bad at not stumping the extra 2500 € for the HUD display, although I don't use sunglasses that often in whilst driving.

Yeah, it's not often a problem here in the UK, but when it is I really do miss my polarized glasses! Their ability to filter out dash glare and esp. wet road glare is amazing.

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I don’t know how people can like HUD’s,  I had a couple of Priuses with hud and since day one I tried and I did not liked at all. It goes straight into my eyes and cause me a headache and dizziness, plus on top of that made me feel like I am not on the road but in a play station, or flying a jet, it takes away road connection, similar to watch your infotainment screen for over 2 seconds. Anyway, it’s perhaps just me. 

It is quite a marmite thing - I know PartsKing dislikes them too, finds it distracting and obscuring.

Personally I couldn't drive without one or something similar! Coming from the floating 'space-dash' in the Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris, having a collimated display of any sort that I don't have to continually refocus my eyes between far road and near dash greatly reduces eyestrain and the headaches I get when I am forced to drive other cars with conventional analogue dashboards.

I also like knowing what my speed is at all times without having to take my eyes off the road - When I'm in a car with conventional obscured-behind-the-wheel analogue displays I just feel anxious as half the time I don't know what my speed is and am just winging it by feel. I honestly don't know how other people can maintain awareness of their speed at all times without one (I highly suspect they don't :laugh: )

It also helps with emergency notices - The only reason I know about the AEB warning is because it flashes up BRAKE! in the HUD - Most of the people without a HUD just hear the beeps but have no idea what they mean as by the time they can glance at the dash the warning is already gone!

I'd love to see a full augmented reality HUD in a future car, that e.g. draws satnav lines and road names, highlights other cars and potential dangers like potholes and pedestrians, and if anyone ever invents negative light, draws a black box over oncoming blinding car headlights :laugh: 

I have to say tho' if it's going straight into your eyes it might have been set too high or something for you; I set mine as low on the windscreen as the display allows, so it almost looks like it's just in front of my bonnet.

That way it's just below my eyeline so not obscuring anything but still easily visible. The auto-dimming calibration of the HUD in this car is bang on too, so it's almost never glaring or too dark to see. A pity the auto-dimming in laptops and tablets isn't so well judged!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

It goes straight into my eyes and cause me a headache and dizziness, plus on top of that made me feel like I am not on the road but in a play station, or flying a jet, it takes away road connection, similar to watch your infotainment screen for over 2 seconds. Anyway, it’s perhaps just me. 

TBH, I really wanted the HUD after the test drive, it really does, IMO, save refocusing the eyes on the dash, and taking the eyes off the road. My eyes are better now, after implants to correct cataracts, than ever before the implants (with the exception of close range, i.e. less than a metre reading). I don't know how I would have reacted to the HUD when I had a  a lot of astigmatism.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

TBH, I really wanted the HUD after the test drive, it really does, IMO, save refocusing the eyes on the dash, and taking the eyes off the road. My eyes are better now, after implants to correct cataracts, than ever before the implants (with the exception of close range, i.e. less than a metre reading). I don't know how I would have reacted to the HUD when I had a  a lot of astigmatism.

It might be just me because I drive at night and hud causes me more distraction than help. I never had issues to look at instrument cluster and I do every few seconds. My seating position is low and perfectly match the instruments. For me hud or like Peugeot or new Toyota Evs top mounted and square wheel or yoke style steering wheel are not necessary and not helpful, only gimmicks to try to differentiate one manufacturer from the other. My personal opinion only. 😉👌

• Like 2

Please return to the topic subject as the Aygo doesn't have an HUD - 'irritating reflections in the windscreen'.