Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cabin filter

bathtub tom

I did my own service and also changed the cabin filter. At the last service, I took it out and because it looked so clean I just shook it out and vacuumed it. I did notice it was fitted upside down - Toyota part, fitted by main dealer, so I fitted it back the same way. This time it had a few bits of debris on it, but the difference the new one (fitted correctly now) has made! I always assumed the car had very poor A/C. The air flow through the vents was fine, but the cooling seemed abysmal, so much so I had the A/C serviced after the last service. It had lost a minimal amount of gas and it didn't improve it. Now the air is much cooler with no noticeable difference in air flow and in this heat!

I can't understand how changing the filter could affect the temperature.

• Like 2

No surprise here. These filters turned other way around may restrict the air flow a bit. Also even not looking very dirty a soon as the paper changes it’s colour to dark the filter should be replaced. The darker colour comes from carbon and other particles, all of which are widely an object of the environmental and health discussions. Anyway, I do change every 10k miles (2-3 months) with each oil service and the filter is mostly clean but very dark and smells of petrol fumes. 👌 

A reversed filter is like a person trying to breathe through a folded towel, it means you also have to work harder to get the air you need, or it stresses the system till it breaks

• Like 1

Poor from Toyota. They normally error-proof parts to ensure they are fitted in the correct orientation.

In pollen filter case, looks like they couldn’t design it in or it was too costly, so just added the word “UP” with an arrow as a visual check.

I’ve made the same mistake but noticed prior to refitting filter cover back on HVAC.

The replacement was Mahle. The arrow on that indicates direction of airflow (opposite to Toyota).

36 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

The replacement was Mahle. The arrow on that indicates direction of airflow (opposite to Toyota).

This is why the arrow is accompanied by the word UP……to ensure it’s not confusing. Just an arrow……is that up, down, airflow…..🤷🏼‍♂️. We wonder why they get fitted incorrectly. 🙄🥴

Air flow is downwards, the fan pulls air through the filter and blows it out the vents via the heater and condenser

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Air flow is downwards, the fan pulls air through the filter and blows it out the vents via the heater and condenser

Yes. I was just pointing out how just an arrow could be mistaken as UP or DOWN: without confirmation wording.

Some cheaper filters don't have a marking at all !!! last few years i have use the Hengst carbon filters (E2945LC)

9 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Some cheaper filters don't have a marking at all !!! last few years i have use the Hengst carbon filters (E2945LC)

I’d assume they could be installed in any orientation - without any marking on them?