Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lane keeping assist

Anise

Hi,

I recently brought Toyota Auris Touring Sports Excel 2017 reg (Estate Version). My question is: Does this model have Lane Keeping Assist Option and ADAS technology?

Thanks,

Anise.

ADAS is an umbrella term for a number of electronic safety systems.

Toyota Safety Sense is Toyota's ADAS - the first generation was introduced in 2015 (TSS1) As far as I'm aware TSS1 included Pre-collision system, Lane Departure Alert (different to Lane Keep Assist), and Automatic High Beam.

The second generation (TSS2) with additional elements was introduced from January 2018

• Like 1

Yes, it's the button under the "TRIP" button, but as far as I know, it only gives you a warning, I never use it.

IMG_20220715_071531462_MP.jpg

On the RAV4 it gives an audible warning and pulls the steering wheel back towards the correct lane 🙂

But only if you don't indicate that you are going to change lanes.

14 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

On the RAV4 it gives an audible warning and pulls the steering wheel back towards the correct lane 🙂

But only if you don't indicate that you are going to change lanes.

What if the correct lane is that to which you want to steer, without indicating? i.e. if the driver wants to change lanes without the need to indicate the "safety" feature will prevent it?

Is this thing a replacement for one's eyes?

27 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

On the RAV4 it gives an audible warning and pulls the steering wheel back towards the correct lane

Which is Lane Keep Assist. The OP's Auris has Lane Departure Alert which just provides an audible/visual warning of lane straying. 

Our 2015 i20 had Lane Departure Alert, whereas our 2020 i20 has Lane Keep Assist - both can be turned off.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

What if the correct lane is that to which you want to steer, without indicating? i.e. if the driver wants to change lanes without the need to indicate the "safety" feature will prevent it?

Are you one that tries to minimise bulb use? 😁

On A, B or C roads the system frequently cannot determine the lanes so smoothing bends and so on does not try to pull you back. It may give warning beeps as you cross the centre line. 

On dual carriage ways it will maintain lane and assume you want to maintain lane unless you indicate. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

Is indicating ones intentions so difficult!

• Like 1

I turned mine off.  Having had advanced police driver training (many years ago!) I was taught to use all of the road to maximise your view forward.  If you are following another car, you keep a good distance from it and drive near the centre white lines - so you can see past the car in front.  When i did this my Lane Assist insisted I needed to be reminded I was near the white line.  Absolutely more trouble that it's worth - in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can turn it off by Pressing the lane keep assist Button on the steering wheel for 6 secconds, i found it very difficult as i live in an area of twisty country roads so no use to me

• Like 1

Lane keeping assist before turning it off!.

Have you tried just lowering its sensetivity?.

This is another of those things that shouldn't be in any car - If this is genuinely useful to someone, that someone should be banned from driving as a danger to others!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Its a safty item in case you start dropping off to sleep but also activates if you pull out without turning on your indicator first.

• Like 2

If someone is prone to sleep while driving, he/she should be conscious enough to not drive... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Are you one that tries to minimise bulb use?

I don't grow daffodils, croci etc..

22 hours ago, davidif said:

Is indicating ones intentions so difficult!

It does seem to be for drivers of certain marques! No it isn't. Indicating is to show intentions to other road users, including pedestrians. But if there are non to be seen on a totally deserted road there's no need to indicate.

I do prefer arm signals though, much more reliable.

21 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

I do prefer arm signals though, much more reliable.

Then you definitely need to activate your lane keep assist because even a slight deviation from the lane can result in the arm being chopped off by another car in that other lane. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

Then you definitely need to activate your lane keep assist because even a slight deviation from the lane can result in the arm being chopped off by another car in that other lane. 😀

In Cyprus, when being acquainted with local driving habits, we were shown a photo of a blanket and two right arms, driver and rear seat passenger........ 

I had a hybrid Yaris loan car recently and it has the lane departure steering nudge. It was extremely alarming to be unexpectedly fighting the car to stay on the line you choose. In my Auris it's only an alarm and it's firmly turned off. Another dangerous feature can be automatic dipping beams. Under certain circumstances the system can be fooled into flashing someone ay a junction as if to allow them to pull out in front of you.... never mind, on newer cars the emergency automatic brake will make sure that you are rear ended just in case you miss crashing into the car you unintentionally flashed. No thanks. I think half this stuff is foisted on us simply to get the Ncap rating 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Saxmaniac said:

It was extremely alarming to be unexpectedly fighting the car to stay on the line you choose.

If you don't know what it is, IMO. I like it now, after the first few days, and after having changed from the buzzer/beep to the steering nudge..

Yeah, it was a surprise that's all as I wasn't aware it was on. The car was a loaner while mine was having mot. I'm only slightly tongue in cheek about all these safety gimmicks but on balance, personally, I tend to turn such stuff off, there's enough distractions without the car trying to interfere with what you're doing. If they want safer cars I think they should sort the ergonomics out, make controls physical buttons and knobs that you can find without taking eyes off the road and completely ban touch screen controls!

• Like 4

Option one

Lane centering function on 

Steering assist on. (LTA)

Option 2

Lane centering function off

Steering assist on (LTA)

Select via top right button on right of steering wheel.

To turn off complitly go into setup.

You can also hold that button down for ~5 seconds to totally disable it.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 6:59 PM, Derek.w said:

Lane keeping assist before turning it off!.

Have you tried just lowering its sensetivity?.

Yes i did that but still prefer not ot have it on as i mainly drive country roads however i did find it useful on a recent trip up the Motorway, just to see how good it was i took my hands off the Steering wheel and it worked really well, that is until i Buzzed to remind me to put my hands back on the wheel, so in certain circumstanses with Radar Cruise its very useful.

I have the Lane Departure Alert, and keep it on all the time. Although I can colour within the lines, and do stay in my lane, I quite like it on; especially on the motorway when I use the Adaptive Cruise control. It make driving so much easier.

Lane keeping assist on some roads without a center line and others without a left edge or line if somtimes fails to decect the edge.

If lines paint is worn away it also fails to detect the edge.

After saying that I still leave it on.