Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New car

DaveMatt7

Finally had notification that my new car Toyota Corolla 2.0 Touring Sports in Obsidian blue was being built on 12th July and MyT app is now showing it to be intransit on its way to Edinburgh. I have only just noticed as in Tenerife on holiday! I ordered mid February when my trade in price was high, but dropped by over £3k and now worried they are going to ask for more money to make up difference! Should be happy that its finally on its way but not feeling it.

• Like 1

Sounds like a problem for the dealer not you. My dealer told me the amount they quoted my trade in back in febuary would be the same or higher. Would expect the same for yourself. If you've signed then would expect them to honour the price they agreed, otherwise you don't have to accept the new offer they come back with and walk away keeping your old car. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BelfastSoda said:

Sounds like a problem for the dealer not you. My dealer told me the amount they quoted my trade in back in febuary would be the same or higher. Would expect the same for yourself. If you've signed then would expect them to honour the price they agreed, otherwise you don't have to accept the new offer they come back with and walk away keeping your old car. 

I wish it was true but not our experience with this garage in Edinburgh. My wife ordered a new Aygo X at the same time, her valuation didn't drop at all when she picked it up in May yet they claimed they needed more money. My valuation has dropped £3.5k  so am expecting worse from them. I may end up walking away and just keeping my Ateca, which I love anyway, and just run it another few years, but will loose my £1k deposit!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, DaveMatt7 said:

I wish it was true but not our experience with this garage in Edinburgh. My wife ordered a new Aygo X at the same time, her valuation didn't drop at all when she picked it up in May yet they claimed they needed more money. My valuation has dropped £3.5k  so am expecting worse from them. I may end up walking away and just keeping my Ateca, which I love anyway, and just run it another few years, but will loose my £1k deposit!

If they change the terms and you decline then I’m sure they won’t try to keep your deposit. 

• Like 2

I really don't  like this trend of upping the price after the sale has been agreed - This shouldn't be allowed IMHO.

I bet they wouldn't pass on savings if it went the other way!!

• Like 4

When I ordered my car in July 19 I was told delivery would be September. I picked up the car at the end of November and although there was talk about the cost of my old car being less and also having more miles on the clock, we had an agreement. I had no worries, the delay was their fault not mine so they had to cover any loss, not me.

• Like 2

We were due to part exchange my wife's Smart car for our new Yaris, which is due in September. We recently recieved a call from Mercedes who offered to buy her Smart car for more than what we had agreed on the part exchange. We decided we could get away with one car for a few months and sold. Now we have more money to put down a cash deposit on the new Yaris 😀

• Like 4

I had the same thoughts when I ordered my car months ago (Edinburgh as well) but as it was part exchange for an Excel I had bought 3 years ago, I was told that any change in the vaule of the trade in would be offset by the payments I was making.

So, when I picked up my ne GRS there was no change, in fact I am now paying about £35 less monthly. Still getting used to the small changes between cars, as apart from the HUD, I think the Excel was a better car.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I finally picked up my new car yesterday. They did try and charge me more but I stood my ground and argued that I was prepared to walk away. In the end they increased the monthly price by £1, which equates to an extra £42 over the 42 months PCP agreement. I could live with that so went ahead. 

Inked20220815_175808.jpg

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, DaveMatt7 said:

I finally picked up my new car yesterday. They did try and charge me more but I stood my ground and argued that I was prepared to walk away. In the end they increased the monthly price by £1, which equates to an extra £42 over the 42 months PCP agreement. I could live with that so went ahead. 

Inked20220815_175808.jpg

Nice car 🚙 , it seems like you people enjoy Corolla s around there, there is another one behind 👌🚗

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Nice car 🚙 , it seems like you people enjoy Corolla s around there, there is another one behind 👌🚗

And a nice red Honda Jazz.  Honda have finally produced a good hybrid system.  In the past I have owned a Mk1 and a Mk2 Jazz and liked them but have now converted to Toyota.  In recent years Honda sales of all their models have plummeted, maybe its the angular styling they introduced on Jazz and Civic a few years ago.

My trade in dropped by 1200 but the base price of the new car also dropped by 720 and my Px settlement figure also dropped by 6 months payments. 

My payments will remain the same but the repayments will drop by 5 months.   The effect is neutral in the near term and will increase my equity at the next exchange if I am still around. 

• Like 1

When you order a new car and sign the deal and you have the car few months later delivered , why sellers are changing the deal you had signed before? Is that the case or I misunderstood something? 

• Like 1

I have never yet signed the deal until collecting the car. Always manage to get extras at that point. This time an extra £2k for my trade in. Always fixed the purchase price at order though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian.S said:

I have never yet signed the deal until collecting the car. Always manage to get extras at that point. This time an extra £2k for my trade in. Always fixed the purchase price at order though. 

I never sign anything untill I see the car. I inspect it inside and out plus a decent test drive before I talk money. Dealer doesn't like it but I am in control not him. He knows I will walk out the door if he doesn't play ball. Works a treat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2022 at 11:38 PM, TonyHSD said:

Ha ha well spotted that is my neighbours car, which he got last year.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

When you order a new car and sign the deal and you have the car few months later delivered , why sellers are changing the deal you had signed before? Is that the case or I misunderstood something? 

Its because they argue that the equity on the trade in has dropped, whereas I argued that this was offset by having only 4 more payments on my existing car plus the balloon payment rather than 10 payments when I ordered it back in February. Plus the value of my existing car had actually gone up as well. In the end the costs went back down to nearly what it was so I was content with that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Trewithy said:

And a nice red Honda Jazz.  Honda have finally produced a good hybrid system.  In the past I have owned a Mk1 and a Mk2 Jazz and liked them but have now converted to Toyota.  In recent years Honda sales of all their models have plummeted, maybe its the angular styling they introduced on Jazz and Civic a few years ago.

Again my neighbours car. We share a courtyard. But she loves it!

• Like 2

When I ordered my car back in February I signed an order form.  The order form specifies model, options, colour etc.  I signed the order form.  This includes conditions.  Now this is a form produced by my dealer probably from a boiler plate.  It sets out conditions such as the price at the time or delivery, the exchange value of my car, the settlement figure on that day.  In the old sense, ordering a car today for delivery next month, as happened when we got our Corolla in 2020, you will expect the prices not to have moved much.

In the event the process took 7 months.  No reasonable person would hold the dealer to exactly the original deal.  As it happens my costs were significantly lower than the deal in February.

Would you that I insisted on the deal as written then?  

My new car was delivered in April, 5 months after the order and the deal stayed the same, I kept paying the monthly pcp on my old car up to delivery so they were collecting that extra money, I would expect a deal to be sealed at time of order no matter how long delivery takes, my old car actually increased in price but the dealer didn’t offer me the extra money nor did I expect it, same the other way around, it’s a contract and can only be changed if in the terms you signed

• Like 2

Order form for every new car I have had included price change and depreciation clauses giving cancellation rights and trade in depreciation limits that can be applied. As I have mentioned before I gained £2k at collection by asking the dealer to match WBAC offer. At the time of order you agree to buy the car but not how you will pay for it.