Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Camry vs Avensis????

Willll

Currently have a 2017 1.8 manual BE avensis tourer. Owned since new. Boring but good car 55k on the odo.  Contemplating getting a 71 plate ex demo hybrid camry excel.  Has anyone driven/owned both?

I do mostly rural driving at 40-60mph. Avensis gets 44mpg with this use - a bit less in winter. On dual carriageway at about 62mph can get 54mpg. Is the camry likely to beat these figures by much?

Is the ride on the 18" excel wheels suitable for rural/bumpy roads?

Any stories/real world input gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2009 Avensis Tourer and switched to a Camry 2.5l hybrid 2019, last year.

I miss the boot of the tourer as although the Camry has good size you don't get the height that you get with an estate. But really enjoying the Camry. It seems as smooth as the Avensis on all roads if not smoother.

When at 75mph long journeys it does about 55 mpg and if careful around 50mpg on rural village to village. The saving is made as at 30mph through a village it does almost completely on Battery power.

Hope that helps. If you don't need the boot sapce of the Avensis tourer then Camry is a nice replacement and very few of them on the UK roads!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 2020 Camry Excel. I hear from Irish you tuber 'Nobby' that the 2021 model is not quite as frugal as the 2020 Camry model. I get around 50 mpg average which can extend to about 53 mpg on a long run.  The 2 things you may miss the most from your Avensis Tourer is the high roof storage of the tourer and the manual gear change if you like manuals. All Camry hybrids are CVT automatics. Also I don't think mpg is going to make much difference. 

• 5 months later...

hi will, as someone who owned a 2008 and 2011 camry 1.8  hatchback and tourer for 4 years each model, i have to say fantastic cars, yes dull but who cares when they start on the button, i never got more than 39mpg out of the 2008 model on average, and my 2011 average was 41mpg i guess due to the 6 speed gearbox, allmost 90% of my driving on rural a roads  at 50-60 mph...i have owned now for 18 months a  2020 camry hybrid and yes i had concerns about 18 inch wheels with the state of our pot holed roads. i have to say the ride is very good not crashy and thumpy in fact the ride is better than the 2011 avensis tr tourer  that ran 17" wheels, but i wont lie i still have concerns about hitting a pot hole and wrecking the alloy, so i drive super carefull...with regards to fuel consumption..in a nut Shell....worst case i get in the depths of winter is 41mpg   and best i averaged was 71mpg....generally car shows about 56mpg....so much better than my 2011 avensis...but only slightly up on your 2017 avensis, but the camry just ooozes smoothness with its autobox   and is  a big step up in comfort from my old beloved avensis..where the camry will really shine in fuel economy is in town and stop start driving   which i dont do a great deal of, but i know my average would go way up if i did....so no regrets from me after buying the camry....now toyota how about a tourer/estate wagon verson   eh !  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I went from a 2014 Avensis BE (manual, diesel), to a 2017 Avensis Design (auto, petrol) to a 2020 Camry Excel (auto, petrol, hybrid).

I'm pleased with the Camry although would have preferred another Avensis, which is definitely a smaller car. 

I'll be keeping my Camry for a few more years yet although I probably would have ordered a Skoda Superb had I known that you can't tow or have a Roof Rack on a Camry (yes, these would have been a deal breaker although I have the Camry now).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links