Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are chips bad for you?

Bper

Hi All,

How many of us when buying a nearly new or used car are often either caught up in the buying process to have noticed or been told that 'Well the car is a few years old and the stone chips on the front bonnet are to be expected'.

Well, we still buy the car get it home and when washing and polishing only then get to see just how bad some of these chips can make the front of the car look.

This can be extremely disappointing especially when the rest of the car looks great but not so much the front. Whether keeping the car for the short term or a few years this can greatly affect the desirability of the car.

Many companies offer stone chip repair but many owners opt for the touch up pens or paint kits available due to repair price. It is true that those of us that have either the skill or patience to do this ourselves have various degrees of success. It seems stones chips are inevitable and manufacturers have reduced paint quality over the years so cars damage easier.

As the bonnet of the car usually takes the brunt of stone chips why couldn't manufacturers wrap them with clear vinyl film? Considering how much we pay for our new and used cars surely it would be a small cost to the manufacturer?

This film can also be removed and replaced if needed.

Comments please.

• Like 1

Paint quality has not deteriorated, some paint chip problems can be under certain circumstances due to water based paints, but not all. The main problem is the state of our roads and our driving. If people are that concerned they can pay to wrap their own car.

When you last drove down a road with newly laid stone chippings were you and everybody driving at the max 20 MPH? Probably not, that and pot holes/flying stones/debris cause most problems with paint

Chips are indeed bad for you. They contain high levels of cholesterol and saturated fats which can lead to an increased risk of high blood pressure and potentially heart attacks. However, they can be tasty and enjoyed responsibly as part of a balanced and varied diet which includes all your necessary vitamins and minerals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

Paint quality has not deteriorated, some paint chip problems can be under certain circumstances due to water based paints, but not all. The main problem is the state of our roads and our driving. If people are that concerned they can pay to wrap their own car.

When you last drove down a road with newly laid stone chippings were you and everybody driving at the max 20 MPH? Probably not, that and pot holes/flying stones/debris cause most problems with paint

modern paintwork is softer than older paint owing to the discontinued practice of using petroleum based paints, these having been replaced with more environmentally friendly water-based paints.

50 minutes ago, ChipFan99 said:

Chips are indeed bad for you. They contain high levels of cholesterol and saturated fats which can lead to an increased risk of high blood pressure and potentially heart attacks. However, they can be tasty and enjoyed responsibly as part of a balanced and varied diet which includes all your necessary vitamins and minerals.

Chips are great but wedges are better with sour cream and chive dip.

• Haha 2

I’m trying to source PPF for my new Corolla. I have fitted it before on my Lotus Elise and it’s very tricky. 
Expect to pay around £1000 for a full front end coverage. 
Image shown is a US Corolla btw. 

EE0399F1-19C6-4E22-B915-A59371100CE1.png

£1000 just for the front end?? :eek:  I knew it was expensive but wow!!

Having it repainted would probably be cheaper!!

... Damnit now I have a hankering for some chips of the fried potato kind...

• Haha 2

In consideration of how much you paid for your new corolla and lotus it still adds extra cost and how much better would it be if you knew you had some protection from the start.

I have had some success with using the Chipex paint repair system and I have been able to make an invisible repair on most occasions.   I have found a good ceramic coat and a defensive style of driving can reduce stone chips as well although I suspect this is more to do with driving style than the coating.  It is important to make sure the coating is removed from the area of the stone chip before attempting a repair.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cyker said:

£1000 just for the front end?? :eek:  I knew it was expensive but wow!!

Having it repainted would probably be cheaper!!

... Damnit now I have a hankering for some chips of the fried potato kind...

That’s why I’m fitting it myself. The kit is about £200 for the bumper. 
I don’t want to be respraying the bumper because the paint is never as good as factory. Would prefer to just protect the paint I have. 

Cyker, I recommend the M&S triple cooked in beef dripping, although at £3.50 a pack two portions unless extra hungry of course,a trifle expensive 😄

Oh lordy now I've turned the thread to trifle 🍧 aswell as chips.

Hornet 3D, I agree about driving style, I suspect that the drivers who seem to have a strong interest in closely inspecting the rear hatch on my Yaris from 3ft away will be peppered with chips, and not the M&S ones.🍟

• Haha 4

Christ just reading that first line made my arteries clench :laugh: 

• Haha 1

A good ceramic coating should be applied by a professional detailer.

Any new car that has not been ceramic coated should not be wrapped if stone chipped as this can lead to paintwork problems. If everything comes wrapped today why not your new car bonnet as often, it is your second biggest purchase.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Cyker said:

***** just reading that first line made my arteries clench :laugh: 

As long as you balance them with a nice bit of lean fillet steak, grilled tomato and mushroom, and half a bottle of merlot your arteries will be fine.

(Says me with 4 stents in his arteries 😁)

• Haha 2

How do you like your steak cooked

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well Bper, with fillet I get it out the fridge half hour before cooking.

Oil and season it lightly, get the dry griddle really hot, then sear on both sides and all edges a few minutes,then rest it on a warm plate 5 mins.

Short answer, rare.

Is that how you like it ?

To be honest, 3 min 40 secs each side butter in pan 1 minute before the end coat and leave for 5 minutes to rest. Medium soft and sooo easy to cut.

Forget chips try wedges. Waxy potatos, steam till soft then cut into wedges coat in paprika, garlic and origano and virgin olive oil. Pre heat oven 180° on a grease proof tray, bake for 25 minutes turn over for another 25 minutes. Mix plain yogurt and chives for a dip then serve, lovely!

• Like 2

That sounds very tasty, will give it a try.

Have you tried rubbing the steak with a cut garlic clove, not heavy garlic flavour, just a light rub while seasoning.

Re your OP , I remember in an old car mag seeing some sort of removable fabric cover for the front of cars with a straps to feed under the bonnet and grill to fix in place.

Also seen a perspex guard fixed above the bumper (when cars had metal bumpers) to throw off road debris.old classic cars mainly.

Of course,both these things had to be designed to not obstruct the radiator.

Yes tried all methods, but prefer true flavour of fillet just with dijon mustard a nice red and either my earlier recipe or scallop chips pan fried with garlc and rosemary grilled buffelo tomato and mushrooms. Best meal ever.

Try fillet steak  thinly sliced and wok fried, chinese 5 spice, garic brandy, light and dark soy sauce marinate for a couple of hours. Fry serve with egg fried rice, pak choi. It really works.

Good to try other options for protection.

Funnily enough I saw a Audi Q7 today while I was picking up some potatoes.

It was silver and had a cover over the frontal area/bonnet in black, looked like a woven plastic of some sort.

So I assume a "bonnet bra"as I have seen these described.

I would have asked the driver in the car park if he minded me taking a photo to post up here, but he looked far too important from his body language and strutting about to bother with the likes of me 😆

Maybe a good thing,as I would have enquired whether his was a special edition with working indicators.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:22 PM, Bper said:

A good ceramic coating should be applied by a professional detailer.

Any new car that has not been ceramic coated should not be wrapped if stone chipped as this can lead to paintwork problems. If everything comes wrapped today why not your new car bonnet as often, it is your second biggest purchase.

If you can afford to pay to have it done then maybe the a professional detailer may be the best way although definition of professional is that he/she is being paid and you can pay a lot for a rubbish coating or a good coating badly applied.

That said there has been great deal of effort put into providing coating that can be applied by the non professional, the only real requirement is to have a space where the car can be housed for 24-48  hours while the coating cures.  Such coatings vary in ease of application, length of protection and cost but it is easy to find coating claiming to last anywhere from six months to six years and any number of you tube videos on how to apply and how well they protect the car.

At present I use the Evo Can Coat from Gyeon which has been designed for the DIY market,  it is easy to apply in fact I have found it easier than waxing.  It is said to last for up to a year but can be topped up easily.  I reapply every six months but the water is still beading at that point so there is still protection there.

1889658421_Wash1.thumb.JPG.56e8f573ee5c57bdc9b6df82501bba3e.JPG1232112097_Wash2.thumb.JPG.9e3e2b3a572863a8b0216793a1609f47.JPG

PPF VS Ceramic Coating – Which should you choose? Paint Protection Film is made from a polymer which is self healing and stain resistance. This means PPF will protect you car’s paintwork from stone chips, scuffs and other road debris. Ceramic coatings will also protect the paintwork, however will not protect it to the same extent.