Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 1,4 D4D black smoke + oil leakage

MarkoSmokovic

Hi colleagues,

I'm struggling with a my auris. When I press the pedal and the revs exceed ~ 2,300, a cloud of black smoke is blown out. I lacked power and the fuel consumption was high. It also takes a lot of oil, but only when driving at high speed. After the distance of ~ 150 km driving 130-140 km/h, it went down from half the scale to "low engine oil". When I drive at low speed, there is no oil or smoke leakage.

I took the car to a mechanic and the diagnosis was made, the injection pump is broken and the injectors are damaged. Both parts replaced. When I picked up the car, the power came back and the fuel economy is fine. Unfortunately, there is still a problem with black smoke and oil leakage. The weird thing is that this happens when the revs exceed 2300 rpm.

I asked a local mechanic and he said the problem could be the engine, possibly the oil rings in the cylinders. I drove about 4,000 km with this problem, so based on what he said, the turbine would already fall apart, so it should be fine.

It is diffiucult now to find mechanic that will want to do old diesel engines. Has anybody had problems like this, or any ideas what should I check?

Car: Auris 1,4 D4D

Year:2008

Mileage: 260 000 km

If your mechanic is right, maybe that engine did not have correct and on time oil changes. It's a 2008, it is old, maybe also thrashed through the majority of its life.

Just because its a Toyota, it also needs to be properly maintained.

It's sad, but that's how it goes for any engine, petrol or diesel of any brand.

I suppose you could take the engine apart and replace the piston rings, but considering the car's current value and the cost of such operation, I would not do it.

Keep using it as it is until it dies out, or get another car.

Thanks for the answer. He said it only based on my description, didn't check it. Is there any diagnostic that can confirm it? If the turbine is ok and the injectors are replaced, maybe getting new engine should be that costly.

Being as part of your problem was cured with replacement of the injection pump and injectors, would say the oil consumption is be a seperate issue. Having said that poor fuel economy could have meant too much fuel which was unburnt causing the cylinder bores to be washed down causing excess wear on the bores and piston rings. Ok you've cured the initial cause but the engine has suffered.

Have had issues in the past with a air leak prior to the turbo which usually causes lots of black smoke but also a lack of power when under load, you'll likely also be able to hear a hissing noise near the front of the vehicle when being revved up.

Another problem I've experienced is a faulty egr valve, can cause some very non descript symptoms but also cause lots of black smoke. Once bought a Mazda 3 1.6D with 125K miles at a knock down price with similar issues, seller thought the turbo was at fault, I thought different and had the egr valve blanked off and it cured the problem. The Mazda was still running well at 180K miles when I parted with it.

Another thought is wrong grade engine oil, too thin and it will be forced past piston rings ect on a higher mileage engine.

260K km isn't really high mileage on a diesel engine, my daughter had a 1.9 Skoda Fabia that had done 250K MILES and still ran really well but it had been properly serviced.

Worst case is as been stated and the engine is worn and needs a major overhaul, piston rings etc or a decent used engine as a replacement.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MarkoSmokovic said:

Thanks for the answer. He said it only based on my description, didn't check it. Is there any diagnostic that can confirm it? If the turbine is ok and the injectors are replaced, maybe getting new engine should be that costly.

Maybe a compression test? Cheap and easy to do. If the problem is worn piston rings, chances are you will know.

• Like 1

Have just been having another read of your original post Marko.

You state that the engine seems to runs fine up to about 2300 rpm and then the smoke starts. With a modern turbo diesel the turbo doesn't start to come into play until the rpm's rise to around 2000 to 2100 revs. Is there a noticeable whistle or whine from your turbo? That could indicate an internal bearing thats starting to fail. It's also possible that there's no unusual noise but you can still have one, or more, of the internal turbo oil seals leaking which will definately produce black smoke. Black smoke is excessive engine oil being burnt, oil getting past piston rings or another oil seal, so you will be topping up the oil far more than you should. A worn turbo oil seal will likely lead to a failed turbo bearing eventually.

Think you can rule out leaking valve stem oil seals from your description, when they are worn and leaky they produce smoke on start up and also after the engine has being idling and you pull away but then it usually disappears until you pull up again or restart.

Another thing I've just come across on another forum. If you've had excess fuel from faulty injectors this will likely get past the piston rings and into your engine oil which reduces the viscosity and causes black smoke as the contaminated oil gets past the piston seals into the combustion chamber. Think this will usually cause the oil level to increase before the faulty injectors are sorted. The engine oil will smell of fuel if this happened. An oil change would be a good start if this is the case unless you already had that done when the injectors and pump where changed.

• Like 1

Also think its worth a go at cleaning the egr valve. They cause no end of faults and symptoms especially on modern diesel engines. Not sure how easy getting to egr on the D4D is.

Can't be as bad as the Vauxhall Astra 1.3 cdti I once had. Terrible location to work on took me days to remove, cleaning was easy, then the same game refitting! Cured the problem I had, well for a few thousand miles anyway. That car never blew smoke but had a horrible habit of almost stalling on pulling away. I hate modern ERG valves but they're there to reduce emissions, so get choked with nasty diesel exhaust deposits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Have just been having another read of your original post Marko.

You state that the engine seems to runs fine up to about 2300 rpm and then the smoke starts. With a modern turbo diesel the turbo doesn't start to come into play until the rpm's rise to around 2000 to 2100 revs. Is there a noticeable whistle or whine from your turbo? That could indicate an internal bearing thats starting to fail. It's also possible that there's no unusual noise but you can still have one, or more, of the internal turbo oil seals leaking which will definately produce black smoke. Black smoke is excessive engine oil being burnt, oil getting past piston rings or another oil seal, so you will be topping up the oil far more than you should. A worn turbo oil seal will likely lead to a failed turbo bearing eventually.

Think you can rule out leaking valve stem oil seals from your description, when they are worn and leaky they produce smoke on start up and also after the engine has being idling and you pull away but then it usually disappears until you pull up again or restart.

Another thing I've just come across on another forum. If you've had excess fuel from faulty injectors this will likely get past the piston rings and into your engine oil which reduces the viscosity and causes black smoke as the contaminated oil gets past the piston seals into the combustion chamber. Think this will usually cause the oil level to increase before the faulty injectors are sorted. The engine oil will smell of fuel if this happened. An oil change would be a good start if this is the case unless you already had that done when the injectors and pump where changed.

Thanks for for answer. I will try to find someone who can check the turbine. I think that there is a change in the noise of the turbine, it started to whistle a bit more then usually. As you wrote it looks like the main issue starts then the turbo kicks in.