Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ventilated and heated seats

AliveKo5

Hi guys, I have the Rav4 PHEV with ventilated and heated seats but when it is on max I can barely fill it. I took it to my local dealership and of course was told that everything is working normally.  My wife went to Iceland in the winter and hired Yaris. When she came back said that the heated seats are very powerful and you can't seat on them when they are on max. Anyone experienced something like this? Thanks  

My heated seats are fine (not too hot to sit on) but not ventilated.

Strange question in the midst of this heatwave though 🥵

No ventilation on mine but the heating is very good even in the worst of weather, heats quickly.

Hi

I have the HEV  and appreciate that the PHEV may be a different setup 

Not got ventilated seats but quite honestly the heated seats are absolutely rubbish compared to my previous car which was an SMax.

I really would be interested to hear peoples views on this as I have assumed ( maybe wrongly) that because the Rav 4 is hybrid then I shouldn't expect performance to be as good as my previous car when it comes to things like electric seats

regards Terry

The heated seats on mine are perfectly fine. I have only ever needed to use them on the 'low' setting, but, there again, we haven't had any really cold weather the past couple of winters.

Does anyone know whether these seats include a thermostat to regulate temperature? In which case they may not heat up very much during a heatwave ... Or do they simply regulate the power input relying on the occupant to turn them off when they get too hot?

Not sure about cooling, my HEV has heated seats which work fine, not that they're needed at the moment. My only complaint is that, unlike my C-HR, they don't reset when you turn the ignition off.

26 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Does anyone know whether these seats include a thermostat to regulate temperature? In which case they may not heat up very much during a heatwave ... Or do they simply regulate the power input relying on the occupant to turn them off when they get too hot?

There will be a thermal cut out inside the heating element circuit to cut power to the seat heater if it gets to hot.

There normally fitted in to the base heating element.

I haven't had much call for the seat heating, but it has been perfectly fine when needed.

The seat ventilation is only mediocre imo, especially compared to that of previous car (mazda6 tourer). Bizarrely, it seems to be mostly focused on chilling your nethers to the point of retreat! I would have preferred a more even spread of cooling action across one's upper & lower back, but no, seems Toyota's only interested in boosting your sperm count for the summer months! 

• Like 1

My wife and I have similar disputes about what constitutes “heating”. Not limited to the car seats. 

• Like 2

My seat cooling is really good, I use it mostly on setting 1 unless it's hot at the start of a journey. You may find it helpful to lean back in the seat with your upper body and try shifting your thigh positioning sometimes to benefit more fully. I can assure you my seat is nice and cool and I prefer to use it to maintain a comfortable temperature than further cooling the whole cabin.

Rented a Kia Xceed while in the UK. Just used the vented seats today, first time I’ve tried any. I WANT these in Portugal!!

On 7/17/2022 at 4:23 PM, AliveKo5 said:

Hi guys, I have the Rav4 PHEV with ventilated and heated seats but when it is on max I can barely fill it. I took it to my local dealership and of course was told that everything is working normally.  My wife went to Iceland in the winter and hired Yaris. When she came back said that the heated seats are very powerful and you can't seat on them when they are on max. Anyone experienced something like this? Thanks  

There may be a fix:

BE-00637T-TME

Subject: Poor FR seat heater performance of leather seats with 3-level seat heater

Models – Model Codes: RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid - AXAP54

Would affect anything built before 05/10/2021

Description of the phenomenon

Some customers may experience and report poor FR seat heater performance for vehicles with leather seats in combination with 3-level seat heater. This phenomenon is not quality problem, it is caused by specific system logic of heater control.

Repair Procedure - Reprogramming

For improve the above phenomenon, reprogram the "A/C ECU" to the new available calibration ID

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before reprograming the A/C ECU I wood personally check the electrical condition of the harness to seat joining plugs for burning and contact alightment ie all in line one has not been pushed back.

Look for the easy faults first.

Warming I find less than my previous cars, but just about adequate. But the seat ventilation is really lacking compared to previous vehicles I've owned, and would be the thing I'd really like improved if possible.

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a 2020 Toyota Rav 4 limited Hybrid.  The heated seats are barely warm.  Brought it back to dealer and they said nothing was wrong and it meets all specifications..  So apparently I have to live with heated seats that aren't really heated.  Frustrating because this was an important feature to me.

Kathy

I have a Greek MY2023 RAV4 PHEV that has adequately working heated but not ventilated seats, if that makes any sense with mostly being in Greece.

To get ventilated seats (and a electrically operated passenger seat) I would have had to buy the Black Edition at 3k more and I didn't want a black car, again for obvious reasons.

Just FYI, on the manual passenger mine only has back and forward with recline. No height, tilt or lumbar adjustments which is scandalous  Mr Toyota on a €60k car 

The electrically operated passenger seat has less functions than the drivers in the UK too. I do agree some of the spec options are crazy in various European markets. My previous Volvo PHEV had identical range of full electric control on both front seats. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

The electrically operated passenger seat has less functions than the drivers in the UK too. I do agree some of the spec options are crazy in various European markets. My previous Volvo PHEV had identical range of full electric control on both front seats. 

If you don't mind me asking but if your previous car was a Volvo PHEV how do rate this model and what are you running now for a comparison to the RAV4?

Overall the Toyota is probably better however, the Volvo was more ‘solid’ and used much better quality materials in many areas such as the boot. The Volvo was quite old tech and often had the odd electrical glitch or quirks. The seats were very very good and supportive but the Toyota seats are proving  surprisingly good too. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

In Sweden too.

I miss adjustability in hight/lowering on passenger seat.

AND possibility to preheat seats with MyT app, would be very nice

On 7/18/2022 at 11:00 PM, Devon Aygo said:

There may be a fix:

BE-00637T-TME

Subject: Poor FR seat heater performance of leather seats with 3-level seat heater

Models – Model Codes: RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid - AXAP54

Would affect anything built before 05/10/2021

Description of the phenomenon

Some customers may experience and report poor FR seat heater performance for vehicles with leather seats in combination with 3-level seat heater. This phenomenon is not quality problem, it is caused by specific system logic of heater control.

Repair Procedure - Reprogramming

For improve the above phenomenon, reprogram the "A/C ECU" to the new available calibration ID

Thanks.

Our 2020 RAV 4 PHEV (higest trim level in sweden) got ventilated "leather" seats an I think the heating is a bit less efficent than in our previous Toyotas ( Prius Pev 2017, Prius + 2017, Prius PiP 2015, Auris HSD TS 2014 and Auris HSD 2015 fivedoor) so...

Il talk to my local Toyota garage about Your reprogramming suggestions

5 hours ago, GBgraham said:

I have a Greek MY2023 RAV4 PHEV

Just FYI, on the manual passenger mine only has back and forward with recline. No height, tilt or lumbar adjustments which is scandalous  Mr Toyota on a €60k car 

Because it would only be a €45k car in the UK?

Toyota were certainly mean on my 2008 (top spec) car, with minimum backlights on the switches etc, only Auto windows are the driver’s. 

5 hours ago, GBgraham said:

I have a Greek MY2023 RAV4 PHEV

Because it would only be a €45k car in the UK?

Toyota were certainly mean on my 2008 (top spec) car, with minimum backlights on the switches etc, only Auto windows are the driver’s. 

I have just been out in my RAV and while the seat heating is not upto the level of my Merc (you can cook on them), they seem hot enough. Having said that, the outside temp was 10C so probably needs some below zero weather to check their efficacy.