Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel tank reserve, is this the way it works ?

Stopeter44

A strange thing happened today. Getting low(ish) on fuel, 2 bars remaining, and range indicated as c. 160km. I was thinking I needed to refuel. 

I was driving on bumpy roads, if you can call them that - closer to goat tracks, when suddenly I had 4 bars of fuel remaining and range shown as c. 320 km.

I filled up, and managed to put in just over 26 litres.

Has anybody have something similar happen ? The manual says a warning light would come on at c. 6 litres remaining.

• Like 1

If it’s not on level surface initially, it will give you a spurious reading. My drive is on a slope and gauge reads differently to when I’m on level road.

• Like 1

It's conceivable that the float stuck though usually the other way about. As Starensis suggests, of you were not on a level surface it might have stuck at some point. 

Yes, happens to me from time to time but not as that huge margins and all because of deviation of the road or bumps as in your case can upset the fuel gauge. 👍

3 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

A strange thing happened today. Getting low(ish) on fuel, 2 bars remaining, and range indicated as c. 160km. I was thinking I needed to refuel.

You had 160K left? That's 100 miles in imperial terms. How far apart are your filling stations? I filled last week at £201p/l (buggrit). I see the price has gone down now.

Anyone want some dodgy investment advice?

I have filled up today 20 liters @ 181.9p I was not extra low on fuel still showing 4 bars.

At this price I had to fill up.

Plus more air in tank means more condensation in tank = more water absorbed by fuel.

Please note it you start running really low on fuel ie last led blinking fill up now warning you are also going to suck in more dirt and possibly if you do it regular it will restrict fuel flow.

11 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

You had 160K left? That's 100 miles in imperial terms. How far apart are your filling stations? I filled last week at £201p/l (buggrit). I see the price has gone down now.

The range remaining does not appear to be linear, leaving aside what I saw as strange behaviour. When I get into 4 bars remaining territory, the remaining range appears to go down by at least twice the rate as the distance I cover.

As it happens, I did fuel up at least one day to early. I filled up at 1,95 €, and today best price locally is 1,78 € !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hate that!! Always happens to me too!

I've started using the petrolprices app to see what the cheapest near me is; It's been a bit weird using so many different petrol stations, as previously I'd almost exclusively use one of the 3 nearest me as they were previously the cheapest consistently!

I never thought ones like Texaco and Jet would be so much cheaper than the supermarket but there you go!

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

I hate that!! Always happens to me too!

I've started using the petrolprices app to see what the cheapest near me is; It's been a bit weird using so many different petrol stations, as previously I'd almost exclusively use one of the 3 nearest me as they were previously the cheapest consistently!

I never thought ones like Texaco and Jet would be so much cheaper than the supermarket but there you go!

Texaco fuels are better than supermarkets one. Recently been using local bp and few times went to different tescos for e5 99 and tbh the bp e10 it seems better. Only from that garage in my town., best e10 ever 😂👌

• Like 2

That's never been in doubt, it's the fact that you're getting better quality fuel for less that's so bizarre!! :laugh: 

I do wonder why the supermarket pumps haven't been able to keep up...

• Like 1

Just seen this morning local Texaco price of £1.79, haven’t seen anything less than £1.85 for a long time, I may give it a try next time. 👌

• Like 1

The one on the A406??? I passed it on the way home!!! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

My local Shell garage at Trago Mills has been selling unleaded at £1.65 for the last week!

• Like 2