Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Estima hybrid

JohnGW

Could be contraversial but here I go:

Is the hybrid Estima actually worth bothering with?  From remarks made by others on really poor MPG due to an already heavy vehicle getting even heavier (batteries, Inverter, Motor etc)it would seem the hybrid does worse MPG than the 2.4 petrol.  Then added to that the Government decided it should pay the same VED tax as the petrol version despite the obviuos reduction in CO2, with the increased purchase price for the hybrid it is a complete waste of money. then add the Battery replacement cost and possibly other hardware like the inverter its a package too far, discuss.

TBH the 2.4 petrol doesn't seem great either with the CO2 level and quite high consumption.

From a Government's viewpoint, these are an imported vehicle, weren't built for the European market, and often don't have the necessary documentation to validate the emissions. 

The same scenario applies to any other make or model of grey import.

That's the way it is.

If you don't think the Estima represents value for you, don't buy one.  Your choice.

I think poor MPG reports from Hybrid versions are from people that keep driving it like petrol car and expect miracle. You need to adapt certain habits and MPG will get better. Also it is a brick on wheels not a sports car, if you will driving Estima like sports car you will get better fuel consumption on thirsty american V8 😁

Buying an Estima of any sort and expecting high mpg is pure folly.

They are relatively big, heavy beasts that give you comfort, quality and reliability...precisely the reasons I bought mine nearly 7 years ago.

I wouldn't swap my V6 for any other model..including hybrid. It's been faultless, requiring nothing but the usual service items and the big lazy engine will go on forever.

It may cost me a little more in petrol (though recently I got 28mpg on a long run..with air-con on 50% of the time) but then I've paid nothing for repairs/hybrid Battery issues etc.?

For me, the hybrid just seems a nod to the "green" and not really that effective.

ps...I have a mate who has the 2.4 Estima (not hybrid) and his mpg is only very slightly better than mine

Thank you for the replies, Frosty seems just as frosty as ever having read many replies 🥶😂.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Shell, the engine seems dated though, even Dorf manage better these days. 

I think you are right RUToyota, it's just a nod to the green, sounds good on paper but all the extra weight on top of the already heavy Estima may prove fruitless so I am going petrol 2.4.

Gosh it's been a long time since my Corollas and Celicas when the great where pushing tech and giving us fantastic engines, still the world has changed and I am all for comfort now.

Do I need heated seats?  hahaha.

36 minutes ago, JohnGW said:

Frosty seems just as frosty as ever having read many replies

Just being realistic.

• Like 1

IMHO if you want an Estima, get a V6 - It will be much nicer to drive.

It's going to be thirsty AF whatever engine you choose so may as well get one that has a bit of pull!

The only reason I'd get the hybrid is for the E-Four AWD system, but the rear motor is only 20-something HP so you won't be doing any 4-wheel drifts with it :laugh: 

Frosty, I'm just teasing, but I think you got that.  @ Cyker, I have the 2.4 and it's  for comfort!  round these parts you are lucky to get anywhere quickly unless there is a pandemic and everyone stays home! Actually not collecting it until next week so I have time to get rid of the diesel car. 

• Like 1

For comfort then you made the right choice! :thumbsup: 

Hope you enjoy it, it really is a very nice barge for cruising, esp. with a load of people or luggage! You could put a full-sized bed in that thing :laugh: 

(Thank smeg I didn't pick the Yaris for comfort as that would have been a very bad choice!! :laugh: )

• Haha 1