Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Brake pads and Disks on 2017 Toyota Aygo. Rewind tool to push piston back?

steve mezzle

Hi can anyone help. Im doing this job for the first time and the question is do i need a Rewind tool to push piston back?

If i do is it a left or right or if not how to you push the piston back

Thanks in advance

Open bleed nipple a touch & use preferably a flat metal bar to push each piston flush.

Tel

• Like 1

There's no need for a rewind tool for the front brakes, a big screwdriver is all you need to lever the pistons back.

• Like 1

G-clamps are much more versatile than a dedicated spreader, if you don't need an actual windback tool. Otherwise, you can grab such tools at Halfords, Eurocarparts, Machine Mart or your local independant auto factors, if you don't mind a slightly higher price and don't want to wait for delivery.

So many different ways you can do it:

1. Screw driver - before you take the Caliper off, just wedge a screw driver into the "Pad Inspection hole" on the side of the caliper and pry.

2. Piston rewind tool:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131686795146 £8.95 from eBay.  If you want a long term investment, go for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184150183419 £18.85

The second one also works on REAR Caliper that requires you to turn and push at the same time.  Not that Aygo has rear caliper but it allows you to work on other cars as well.

3. Rewind spreader:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234567570894 £11.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222862253043 £10.49

Personally, I never used them.  However, they are very good for big caliper that have Double or Quad piston in a single caliper because it allows you to push all the piston evenly.

In all honesty, if you just want to work on Toyota Aygo, I would go for the screw driver.

45 minutes ago, Vandals01 said:

In all honesty, if you just want to work on Toyota Aygo, I would go for the screw driver.

I'll second that.

Hi Steve,

Sorry i didn't log on sooner,you may well have done the job by now.I did my car last week with no problems.I used Mintex parts and a home made tool to compress the pistons which worked well.I see you are in Essex,if you are anywhere near Sudbury in Suffolk you are welcome to borrow it.I saved approx £150 over the Toyota dealer price so it's well worth doing,just look on youtube for the method,

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice and thanks for the last offer from Peter. That is very kind. 

I have done this job now and was able to push back the piston easily with a plank of wood. Thought it would be a lot harder than it was. It went back very easily.

• Like 1

It was really hard to do on my Merc, I even broke a speedclamp I was using. Other cars, I have managed with my fingers or a bar/screwdriver.

Hi Steve,

Glad you managed okay,now i have to replace my exhaust!,

Peter

On 7/31/2022 at 1:05 PM, pwoodgate49 said:

Hi Steve,

Glad you managed okay,now i have to replace my exhaust!,

Peter

Pretty straight forward job... If you had the right tool that is.

Rear silencer is held by two rubber hangers.  WD40 is your best friend when removing them. 

You biggest obstacle will be the exhaust clamp that secures the middle pipe to the rear silencer.  It is fasten by a single bolt (12mm? 14mm? Can't remember).  Chances are, it is covered in rust and completely seized up.  I had to burst out my Makita DTW1002Z to remove it. 

In the worst case scenario, you'll had to use an angle grinder to cut the clamp off and just replace it with a new one (£5-7).

Once you got the clamp off, jam a flat head screw driver between the two pipe and just turn (to separate them).

I try just cutting through the bolt and replacing that it tighten up a little more to take up some wear and tear. 

Its a lot cheaper than a clamp and you might just have one in your tool box!.

I use a G clamp to push piston back in after slackining brake tank cap.

calipers usully I can wiggle off if not I loosen the brake bleed screw.