Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine oil Flush Aygo 2009 should I do it?

Manny Katty

Recently acquired 2009 1.0 Aygo.

Thoughts on an engine flush. Should I do it?

Any concerns around it with this car?
No issues to note but it’s had 5 users and scattered service history.
Essentially would like to get the engine running as best it can (Other than performing a full service of course). 

Erm, newbie error.  Searched the site.  Doesn’t look like it’s recommended 😬

Yes, you can do and it’s beneficial for the engine. I personally use stp red bottle engine flush, cheap and fine product. Warm up the engine, make sure the oil filter and drain plug are easily removable, add the flush , start the engine let it running for 15 min, you can occasionally rise the rpm to around 2200-2800 but not exceed 3000rpm. Turn off ignition, wait 5-10 min and then drain oil for as long as you can 15-20 min it’s just fine, replace oil filter and fill up with fresh oil. Job done. You can do every oil change or every second change. Modern engine flushes are not dangerous to the engines., they are also not as aggressive as many believe and that they will cause oil starvation or anything. This is what I do to my car. Everyone is free to choose either to do or not to do and of course everyone is entirely responsible for anything happens to their own cars. 👍

• Like 2

That's good to know; Previous advice was to not do engine flushes on an old car that had never had them done, as it could cause chunks of stuff to break off that was forming a seal and trigger oil burning issues!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is not the flush that is the problem but rather the previous oil used at service intervals. The fact you say the intervals are scattered makes me wonder if money was skimp too when it came to oil quality.

Mineral oils leave carbon deposits in the engine and in a small degree won't do any harm, but the flush can loosen these, however a simple drain would not remove them and when left loose in the oil damage can be caused.

If the carbon deposits are a major factor oil usage would be noticed.

If I was to use a flush I would remove the sump pan to clean as much debris from the pan and clean/replace the strainer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, planc said:

It is not the flush that is the problem but rather the previous oil used at service intervals. The fact you say the intervals are scattered makes me wonder if money was skimp too when it came to oil quality.

Mineral oils leave carbon deposits in the engine and in a small degree won't do any harm, but the flush can loosen these, however a simple drain would not remove them and when left loose in the oil damage can be caused.

If the carbon deposits are a major factor oil usage would be noticed.

If I was to use a flush I would remove the sump pan to clean as much debris from the pan and clean/replace the strainer.

Cheers.  Think I’ll just give the flush a miss and take your advice on the cleaning the sump and strainer. 
Dont think there’s much wrong though.  Just want to keep on top of things. 
Engine seems to run smooth enough and mpg seems decent.  480 miles to the first beep of the reserve.  But it is summer.  Hopefully all sorted for the winter.  Getting the motorway miles in.  

• Like 1

AFAIK, the thing to watch for is the small oil filter screen for the VVT system. If that one gets clogged, that causes havoc.

• Like 3

Yes and No.

I would lean on the No side, as I've seen cases where an engine flush ended up killing an engine.

The reason being all the engine sludge that was displaces by the flush ended up in the sump pan.  And when that happens, it clogs up the oil pick-up tube and starve the engine from engine oil.

Therefore, for engines that developed engine sludge, I recommend "Gentle flush".  That is change the oil at earlier interval (say 3000 miles), allowing the "Detergents within the Engine Oil" to do its job.   After gentle flushing twice, just go back to the regular oil change interval.  (Personally, that is 8000 miles for city driving).

• Thanks 1

If the engine has built up that much sludge that an engine oil flush can cause a harm that engine has long gone before the flush has done anything.
Engine flushes are safe as long as you follow instructions.  
They will not break hard formed sludge and large particles which in fact can cause physical damage.  
Engine flushes actually soften the grease like sludge formation make in liquid again and able to drain via sump drain plug. I have done 100’s of engine flushes on various new, old, neglected or well maintained cars and I had 0 bad experiences. 👍 If anyone in doubt, just change oil more frequently as suggested. 👌

• Thanks 1