Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid coaching on MK4 - any way to get 5/5 acceleration?

baxuz

Has anyone managed to get a 5/5 score when accelerating? I don't think I've ever been able to get a 5/5 acceleration no matter the state of the Battery and acceleration style.

I've tried eco mode and keeping the throttle up to the 1st pip on the power meter until the motor starts up at around 40 kph. 4/5.

I've tried the "pulse and glide" where I stay inside the eco zone, get up to speed and then release the accelerator pedal. 4/5.

I've tried staying up to the edge of the eco zone to get up to speed ASAP and then releasing the pedal. 4/5.

• Like 2

Sorry, only score I get 5/5 for is coasting. My brake and accelerator scores are usually 1 or 2 :laugh: 

• Haha 2

We've got a lot of fun with the eco stats with my friend (they got the same car) doing kinda contests for max eco-score. It's not that hard.

The system expects you to accelerate nearly to max until you reach your "speed of travel".

You can even practice it pretty well, when you take a closer look at your eco-score-screen 😉

At this moment i got no picture of exactly this display, i want to show you, but take a look at this picture.
While driving the big bar will show you the actual fuel-consumption-throttle-combination-thingy ... whatever. Right below the bar, when driving, there will appear a small bar, which will show you how you should accelerate for maximum efficiency. Mostly (but not always) it will be the max in eco-zone.

Voila ... this is all about acceleration 5/5

Cruise 5/5 is just all about driving constant speed. That's it.

Stop 5/5 is most hard, i think.

The system expects you, when you see you need to stop, to keep the car rolling as long as possible. When you're down to like 20 kph you need to break pretty fast, but not too hard (yeah, this is the point, where it's getting hard to hit the point). Breaking hard will give you a "bad event" in your log, decreasing your score.
Also i always thought it's better to let it roll, while breaking slightly, as the charge-bar keeps pretty full, meaning the Battery is charged fast, but this always gave me a 2/5.

Unbenannt.png

Yeah, I have no problem with stopping or cruising. I usually get 5/5 on those. For braking I keep it at ~50% of the charging pip and never bottom out.

I'm not really sure what you meant by "Mostly (but not always) it will be the max in eco-zone." in the hybrid coaching view. When starting from a full stop, the available eco zone is basically the full length of the bar, which corresponds to the eco zone on the power indicator on the left.

But no matter where I stay on the bar, I'm getting 4/5. I get 3/5 if I rev up the engine hard, all the way to the max of the available bar.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:00 PM, Yoris said:

The system expects you, when you see you need to stop, to keep the car rolling as long as possible. When you're down to like 20 kph you need to break pretty fast, but not too hard (yeah, this is the point, where it's getting hard to hit the point). Breaking hard will give you a "bad event" in your log, decreasing your score.

It took me at least 4 months to get the technique, if you can get two bars or even 3 bars on regen braking on a slow down without having the "real" brakes bite, I used to brake harder and later on on my 208, and didn't even realise I could brake sooner and less hard.

15 hours ago, baxuz said:

But no matter where I stay on the bar, I'm getting 4/5. I get 3/5 if I rev up the engine hard, all the way to the max of the available bar.

That's actually what i do, when i'm out for max score.

Starting from a full stop the system recommends you to accelerate at like 80% throttle. You should fill the Eco-Zone-bar, but not get into the Power-Zone (the little part on the right of the bar) and as soon as you (at least it's for me like this) reach 50 kph, you let the throttle go, engine is turned off and you start to cruise and the (let's call it) "guidance-bar" will fall to like 10%. At this point i already get my 5/5 rating.

I'll try to make a video for better understanding .... 😊

PS: Tho i experienced, that you get better results in economic driving, when accelerating a bit slower. From a full stop just give it a short, harder push so you get over the "magic eco-line" and the engine wakes up. Then keep throttle right over the line, so the enginge will not turn off, but work with low rev. When reaching you destinated speed, let it go and cruise.

This will give you 4/5 eco-score, BUT in my case the car consumes 0.2 litres per 100 km less, than the other way. It's not much, but it's still more efficient.

• Like 4

I've been finding that too; Accelerate within the 2nd Eco zone so the engine comes on but stays in Miller/Atkinson mode, then back out as soon as you hit target speed and cruise on MG2.

I was experimenting with accelerating harder but the jump in fuel consumption when you dip into PWR and the engine switches to full Otto-mode makes it very difficult to recoup!

(It is a lot of fun tho' :naughty: )

• Like 2

Yeah, I would never have guessed that the car wants you to rev up the engine from a dead stop.

Acceleration from a stop is the most demanding. I'd have guessed that it's better to just start up slowly, on the EV, and let the engine kick in when it needs to, instead of intentionally pushing it to start up the engine.

• Like 1

Guys, don’t think so much about efficiency and eco scores and don’t be afraid to use the brakes harder than usual from time to time., this is better for your car. If you keep slowing down with regenerative braking only and use the brakes for its initial complete stop you are risking to develop an early rusty brake discs and premature failure. Just enjoy your cars responsibly and  make some more progressive accelerations and decelerations to maintain shiny and operational brakes. 👌👍

• Like 2

Don't worry, I did my eco run tank (83mpg!) so now it's time for the Fun tank :naughty: currently on 75mpg...

I will need new front tyres soon... :whistling1:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, yesterday for the first time Ive seen 5/5 on all bars but I expected to get a 100 or 99 rating instead of 94 😞 !!!!!

• Haha 2