Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trying to play music from a usb stick

JimA999

Hi Folks,

First time post:

I want to play the music I've stored on an ordinary USB memory stick. A minute or so after I plug the stick in, the screen shows this message: "Oops! Update navigation data base of version 6.19.OWH has failed due to an error. No content update found."

It obviously thinks the memory stick is for maybe the navigation data base or something similar. The only "data" the stick has on it is music files.

Any help in just getting it to play music would be very much appreciated

24 minutes ago, JimA999 said:

Hi Folks,

First time post:

I want to play the music I've stored on an ordinary USB memory stick. A minute or so after I plug the stick in, the screen shows this message: "Oops! Update navigation data base of version 6.19.OWH has failed due to an error. No content update found."

It obviously thinks the memory stick is for maybe the navigation data base or something similar. The only "data" the stick has on it is music files.

Any help in just getting it to play music would be very much appreciated

As far as I understand you cannot  play music files from a USB stick, BT or wired car play are the options.

4 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

As far as I understand you cannot  play music files from a USB stick ...

Oh yes you can ... 🙂 ... and I do ...

5 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Oh yes you can ... 🙂 ... and I do ...

Well come on the Philip help out the OP and me.

30 minutes ago, JimA999 said:

The only "data" the stick has on it is music files.

It should work provided that the stick is FAT formatted and contains only music data. Anything bootable or executable could confuse the system.

Which probably doesn't help a lot ... 😉

In the Audio control screen, can you select the USB source? If not that would suggest that the USB stick is not correctly recognised.

Also, the handbook suggests that "When an Apple CarPlay/Android Auto connection is established, this function will be unavailable." but I suspect that will be because the USB input is occupied by the smartphone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Well come on the Philip help out the OP and me.

I'm not sure that I can help much, but I've tried ... I just plug-in the same USB stick that I've been using for years, select the USB source in the Audio menu and play my music ... 🙂

3 minutes ago, philip42h said:

I'm not sure that I can help much, but I've tried ... I just plug-in the same USB stick that I've been using for years, select the USB source in the Audio menu and play my music ... 🙂

Will give it a go later, I felt sure I had seen on a previous post that you couldn't but I have not tried it myself.

• Like 1

I have a 2019 Hybrid C-HR, same as OP, and I have no such trouble. I loaded song tracks onto a fresh stick, stuck it in, selected USB and away it goes.

• Like 1

Just tried it and as usual you are right Philip, even plays FLAC files which is a plus.

3 hours ago, O.W.L. said:

I have a 2019 Hybrid C-HR, same as OP, and I have no such trouble. I loaded song tracks onto a fresh stick, stuck it in, selected USB and away it goes.

similar here with my 2019 Corolla. Not tried on the C-HR yet.

I may be wrong here, but I have been led to believe that Toyota like a 2.0 or earlier USB sticks rather than the current 3.0. Have a look at the plastic bit in the end of the USB. USB 1.0 has a white plastic color, USB 2.0 is black, and USB 3.0 is blue.

I use USB sticks all the time with no issues at all in mine. My USB sticks have a black plastic in the end of the USB, are 16GB in size, and formatted to FAT32.

I have 250+ albums on my USB stick in my C-HR. As long as stick is formatted ( as mentioned ), it shouldn't be an issue.

I've created a main folder named "Music", then sub folders by "Artist", then "Album Title" folders dropped within. Works perfectly.

Screenshot 2022-07-21 124522.png

I had a few music tracks (about 80) on a stick, just to see if it worked ok.

It did, after a fashion, even though the system seemed incapable of remembering where it got to after switching the car off then on again. That's particularly irksome when I tried listening to an audiobook.

Anyway, taking inspiration from Adam, this morning I spent ages loading about 80 albums onto the stick.

I placed each album into a folder with its own album name, and each track from the album was loaded within it.

This afternoon I went for a drive, but every one of the individual tracks is on the system but in no order whatsoever - not even alphabetical, so it's impossible to play an entire album, or even find a particular track unless you want to scroll through about 800 of them.

It makes no difference by selecting 'Artist' or 'Album'

What am I doing wrong? Should I rename each folder so that it includes the artists name?

If you look at my image - far right, each song is tagged with artist, album. This enables use of album tag: which means you can search for album by artist.

Pain in the arse I know, but it’s how I tag all my music now

In windows explorer, you can select all songs in album, right click for properties, detail tab, then tag album field with Artist, Album name. You can also edit song order using # field and contributing artist ( which is key ).

It may take a day or so initially, but if you do this to each album you add, it works fine. 

I only use album tab now in car.

Thanks Adam, you're a star.

I'm strictly Apple, but I will go back and rename each folder & try again.

Just to be clear - if you want songs in an album, you need to place them in a Artist folder, then ensure all songs are tagged with Artist, Album. Contributing Artist also needs to be same for all songs.

14 minutes ago, O.W.L. said:

Thanks Adam, you're a star.

I'm strictly Apple, but I will go back and rename each folder & try again.

Thanks again, Adam. I've looked at the Apple folder system and it seems to be similar to Windows, in that when I right click, then select 'Info' I get a box where I can add tags.

I will have a go tomorrow when I retrieve the stick from the car.

1 minute ago, O.W.L. said:

Thanks again, Adam. I've looked at the Apple folder system and it seems to be similar to Windows, in that when I right click, then select 'Info' I get a box where I can add tags.

I will have a go tomorrow when I retrieve the stick from the car.

Good luck. Think Apple fields are slightly different. It may be a case of checking which tags the car uses by trial and error. It’s the only way I found out. 👍

Good advice. I will try with just a couple of albums and try that, rather than do the lot and maybe have to try again.

• Like 1