Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid not starting in hot weather

Helen1979

Hi all,

I have a new Yaris Design 1.5 Hybrid. I have just tried to start it to go shopping, but it will not start saying 'Not Ready To Drive'. With two warning lights on the dashboard 'Malfunction Indicator Lamp', which my manual says is a malfunction in the hybrid systm and the 'EPS system warning light' indicating a malfunction in the Electronic Power Steering'. I have had the car 2 months and this is the first time I have seen these warning lights and the car has not started. I can only think that it is down to the hot weather today but this is ridiculous, I need to be able to drive on hot summer months! Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice?

TIA

Helen

• Like 1

Helen, can you give some environmental information.  How hot?  Was the car in full Sun?  

Let us know what happens later when it might have cooled. 

This shouldn’t happen, phone your nearest Toyota dealership immediately.

Thank you both for your reply.

Bernard, I have phoned the dealership and there is no one answering.

Roy, the car temperature said 37 degrees celcius and it was in the shade. I will go back out and try it soon as it cools down.

Thank you

Have you tried the breakdown service, you should be covered by Toyota?

• Like 1

Hi, 

we had have similar situations with similar warnings happened recently on rav4 phev, the car sorted out itself and the error has not returned. I putting my 5 cents on low 12v Battery, very likely to trigger faults with eps, from then on faults along the drive train. If the car failed to pressurises it’s electric brakes it will trigger fault “ car not ready to drive “. It might be just low 12v Battery and nothing to do with the hot weather., but also can be the hot weather. No panic, leave the car and try to start later on and if successful, keep it in ready mode at least for 30-40 min before you turn ignition off again. While doing so best to switch off all accessories, radio, climate control, ac, everything and just stay around the car or inside with windows down to get some air flow. 
Check with dealer next day or whenever possible. If the car is drivable but displays red warning lights, do not drive and seek assistance from dealer or RAC AA etc. 

Good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder have you tried again once it cools down?

Maybe open all the windows and let it sit for a bit if it's in a shady spot.

The freephone number for the breakdown service is 0800 246 824 and you just need to give them your registration plate and location.

They should be able to do some diagnostics, or maybe tow the car to the dealer.

37 degrees is the outside temp, mine was reading 45 outside and 65+ in the cabin yesterday. The car started but would not run in EV it just run the ICE

I assume it was just some sort of thermal protection - the Battery still charged tho

• Like 1