Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone know the Waze?

Bper

Hi All,

My Toyota Auris Icon 1.2T 2017 did not come with Satnav or android auto. We like to use Waze navigation via a USB cable linked to an Android phone. The problem is Waze is heavy on Battery power and runs the phone down despite connected to the USB charger.

I hoped to use Mirrorlink on the phone but this does not show on the car screen. I understand that you can buy tomtom, Navpal etc., that can sit on the dash.

Some high street stores offer a direct power supply to run the portable Satnavs but would this direct power supply be good enough to plug the phone in and keep charged while using Waze?

Anyone had the same problem and found a better way?

The USB port doesn’t supply power - it’s only use is to plug in a USB stick with music on it. 

To keep my phone charged when using Waze, I use an adapter for the 12V socket that has USB-A ports. 

I can’t use my satnav adapter with my phone because its cable has a mini USB-B connector at the satnav end and my phone has a USB-C port. 

I suspect most satnav adapters are the same. You’re better off looking for adapters specifically designed to charge a phone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Normal car USB charger  will just keep your phone Battery level the same while using waze, maybe slightly charge it.

The ones that have QuickCharge will actually charge the phone, and really fast (atleast in my case).

As said above, the usb port in your car is not really for charging, and i think it only offers some 0.5A, for comparison, normal charging on my car charger is 1.2A, and quick charge is 3A.

Mirrorlink would be even more Battery consuming, because the phone has to do all the work + stream the content to the car.

Invest in a good charger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use Google maps for my extensive drive during long shifts , no connection to car infotainment screen (don’t even have one). For charging I use tomtom fast charger double usb A port., Amazon basics lightning cable and an iPhone 12. Absolutely no problems at all with navigating anywhere or charging the phone while navigating. If any issues arise with Google maps I turn on Apple maps which for my surprise have better map updates especially on the new builds in UK. , better added the new addresses. 👍I found connecting a phone to a car screen often causes more trouble than help with anything, maps, calls etc, plus todays phones has screens big enough to read and look at them while driving without any complications  👌

• Haha 1

Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies, i have purchased a 12v charger this morning and seems to be doing the trick.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2022 at 10:07 PM, mcntosh said:

The USB port doesn’t supply power - it’s only use is to plug in a USB stick with music on it. 

It does, 0.5A as per the USB spec since the late 90s. It's just not enough for a power hungry modern Android phone designed for fast charge.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MagicBoy said:

It does, 0.5A as per the USB spec since the late 90s. It's just not enough for a power hungry modern Android phone designed for fast charge.

I had no idea! Every day’s a school day… 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links