Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My new Aygo X is being replaced !

152bobby

On 7/24/2022 at 9:02 PM, BobbyMcLeish said:

Great you did that, but unfortunately I can't shampoo a carpet to keep it in good condition, when it's not actually a carpet.

I'm just going to ignore what's under my rubber mats 🤣

Fair point, bit problematical when you cannot clean where your feet are going to be most of the time, as you say the only alternative is to cover them.

• Thanks 1

It could be worse, our 2008 107 has a funny hump round/near the accelerator and the official Peugeot mats of the time had a cut out round the hump, but you just wore out the very thin stock 'carpet' near the  accelerator, so I just bought some universal rubber mats to go over top. Glad to report our 108 Mk2 has no hump so you get full fat official mats with no cutout, basically normal car mats. One of those issues with our MK1 which gets you thinking who designed that!  

My Yaris has that weird hump, but the rubber mats actually have a profiled shape that fits over it :laugh: 

As for the Aygo... that's the irony - Despite being more expensive than a new Mk3 Yaris, it's still the Super Budget car Toyota make so they have gone as cheap as possible and stripped out everything they could to make it cheap, picked the cheapest material they thought they could get away with etc... (and it's *still* that expensive! :eek: )

The original Aygo was a marvel of cost-engineering - Even the rear hatch was cost-engineered to heck; Instead of an actual rear door, have a single pane of glass and a single gas strut!

Needlefelt carpet material was all the rage in the 70's & was lauded as stain-free, hard wearing & warm underfoot. Cost for this synthetic material was NOT cheap.

I fitted said Kingfisher Blue carpet in our Nursery & a Black mat at the entrance door.

The door mat is still in use & looks pristine.

Aygo X carpet is Kid & Dog proof too & will easily out last your rubber mats which spoil the Interior look anyway.

Tel

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

My Yaris has that weird hump, but the rubber mats actually have a profiled shape that fits over it :laugh: 

As for the Aygo... that's the irony - Despite being more expensive than a new Mk3 Yaris, it's still the Super Budget car Toyota make so they have gone as cheap as possible and stripped out everything they could to make it cheap, picked the cheapest material they thought they could get away with etc... (and it's *still* that expensive! :eek: )

The original Aygo was a marvel of cost-engineering - Even the rear hatch was cost-engineered to heck; Instead of an actual rear door, have a single pane of glass and a single gas strut!

Agree, if I'm brutally honest the Mk1 was built to a budget, but the rear end was another poor design given the number of leaks. Looks like the designers/engineers won out over the bean counters with the Mk2 as a lot less common issues that plagued the Mk1, ok it cost more but money well spent imho, maybe the Toyota influence started to dominate. Also wonder if the warranty repair bills on the Mk1 made them have a rethink.    

2 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

Needlefelt carpet material was all the rage in the 70's & was lauded as stain-free, hard wearing & warm underfoot. Cost for this synthetic material was NOT cheap.

I fitted said Kingfisher Blue carpet in our Nursery & a Black mat at the entrance door.

The door mat is still in use & looks pristine.

Aygo X carpet is Kid & Dog proof too & will easily out last your rubber mats which spoil the Interior look anyway.

Tel

That is information that is nice to know.  I am not a fond lover of rubber mats in a car, in a utilitarian vehicle I understand the need.  I have a set of rubber carpets for the Aygo I purchased at the start of the year but they have stayed in the boot and I only intend to use them if out and we get very muddy.  I also find that rubber mats quickly get tarnished with ingrained dirt and it is impossible to revive them to their former glory.

55 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

That is information that is nice to know.  I am not a fond lover of rubber mats in a car, in a utilitarian vehicle I understand the need.  I have a set of rubber carpets for the Aygo I purchased at the start of the year but they have stayed in the boot and I only intend to use them if out and we get very muddy.  I also find that rubber mats quickly get tarnished with ingrained dirt and it is impossible to revive them to their former glory.

But don't the nice new carpet mats get wrecked pretty quickly ?  Must admit, they do look nicer than the rubber mats 😃

1 hour ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

But don't the nice new carpet mats get wrecked pretty quickly ?  Must admit, they do look nicer than the rubber mats 😃

I am not sure on the longevity of the carpets on the new Aygo X but the carpets on my 2021 registered Aygo look the same quality as the carpers in my Honda CRV and they still looked good after eight years with just a regular shampoo and fabric guard applied.  Of course is does depend on use and as I am retired I only did around 5000 miles a year and it will be even less in the Aygo.

For 3 years your mats are covered by Warranty.

Never had an issue with Luxury mats.

Tel

You know, thinking about it.  I may spoil myself and use them !!!

When I sold my Rav4 prior to purchasing the Aygo X, the new owner got the brand new Rav4 carpet mats (unused).

Maybe it's time for me to have them for a change 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The rubber mats that I got with my 2020 Aygo are still in their plastic bags in my garage as I use the luxury mats. No signs of wear yet, not even the usual place where the drivers heel rests.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links