Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Android Auto Connection Problems with new smartphone

Yoris

Hello everyone.

Firsst things first: sorry if my english is not perfect. I try my best, but it's not my native language ☺️

Recently i bought a new Yaris XP21 and while i'm really impressed by the quality of this car and it's features, i'm a bit mad about the connection with my smartphone.
When i bought the car, i was using a Huawei P10 and it worked pretty well, but was also outdated for the last years.
So i bought a Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro and after setting up everything i need i must notice, that it loses the connection to the radio, when using android auto.

It works perfect, when you "just" need to do a call via bluetooth or such, but i can't use it for navigation or like internet-radio, because every time it's connected and the music start to play, after a few seconds i get the massege, that the connection is lost and i need to re-plug the device to esablish the new connection. I tried like 20 different cables, different brands and kinda everything starting from 1€ and finishing with like 30€ per cable ... It's always the same!

So i got to my car seller and showed him the problem. He told me that he never heard of such problems. It must be the smartphone, which is producing the problem and even tho i could try and make a firmware update for my cars multimedia system myself. This would be offered on toyotas website.
Sadly when trying to find the firmware update, toyotas site tells me, there is no update for my system/car.

So i tried it the other way and contacted the Xiaomi support. They told me (of course 😠) it's not their fault and it's not the phone which is broken, it's the car. Even tho i could try to reset the phone, set it up again from the scrath and use a brand new cable. I did it and well ... we all know how it ends...

So now i got a brand new car, a brand new phone, and still can't use both at the same time 😞

As i was browsing the forum randomly i saw several people know pretty much about the car and maybe someone heard of such problems and can tell me, what else i could try to fix it.

Best regards.

Which MUI version you have on your MI 9 Pro ?

With car stopped ( Ready and in P ) to move the cable connection both on smartphone side and car USB side.  If moving the cable causes the issue probably it's an HW problem on phone or car ( depending which side of the cable causes the issue )

Check that the duplicate app functionality ( the functionality of Xiaomi phones that allows to install a copy of the same app for each sim ) is disabled on the phone.  I've read that collides with AA.

I've a Note 9 PRO and it works fine with AA except that audio is switched on phone speaker after every call.  I've read of the same issue on many Xiaomi e MI phones with MUI 12 ( android 11 ) on different car brands like Peugeot and VW.   Xiaomi is aware of the issue but they don't care to fix it due AA is not used on China market 

The Mi 9 Pro is running Miui 13.

While i wiggle on both ends, nothing happens. Means, i see AA connected.

The problem itself starts, when i try to actually use AA, like playing music, or begin the navigation. It feels like big amounts of data-traffic let the connection crash. I know it's nonsense, but it feels like this.
And also this would indicate broken, or just "cheap" cables, but that's actually why i tested out so many cables and they all got the same issue.

PS: There is one(!) guy posting in several forums, that he got a workaround by using an USB hub. I've tried it with an old USB 2.0 hub i have and it doesn't help, but the recommended one (USB 3.0 from Anker) is already on the way to me, so let's test it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links