Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another high miler , Toyota Auris TS 1.4d with almost 500k miles

TonyHSD

I still remember of the days that older Mercedes diesel taxis achieved that mileage.

The 1.4 D4D is a really good diesel engine. Take care of it, and it will last you forever and be there when you need it. Not much power, but very reliable.

Somewhat of a disappointment the 2.2 and even the 2.0 D4D. Usually those don't last as long (even though I saw a 2.0 D4D in a Verso with a million km!).

He changes the oil and filters religiously. It's what it takes to make an engine last.

• Like 4

Good read - I thought these were meant to be serviced at 10,000 though?  Or is it 12,000?  I had the 2008 2.0 D4D that was relatively trouble free up to 170 or 180,000 (granted it had the engine replaced under warranty before I took ownership of it) and I still see it being driven locally almost 5 years later.  Such a shame they no longer sell a diesel Auris/Corolla.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jcps001 said:

The 1.4 D4D is a really good diesel engine. Take care of it, and it will last you forever and be there when you need it. Not much power, but very reliable.

Totally agree, honestly think it's one of the best engines Toyota have ever made!

Masses of useful torque through the rev range, practically indestructible, responsive and high-revving, very fuel efficient - Like the M15A-FXE it is one of the few engines I've had where you could have your cake and eat it, i.e. you could go for a massive hoon and still keep a tank average of 60+ mpg! Fun without the wallet pain at the pump! :laugh:

• Like 4

I take it this 1.4 D4D engine was in a new Corolla we had in 2007 in France? If so was perfectly adequate with 89bhp and ours was a 5 speed manual. Sure I read at the time the 6 speed manual gave problems?

A good story on mileage.

James.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Auris James said:

Sure I read at the time the 6 speed manual gave problems?

The 6 speed manual "does not give problems" per se, but does need a bit more care and maintenance than the older 5 speed manual.

Oil changes must be correct, timing, brand and spec. On a 6 speed, I wouldn't use any transmission oil other than Toyota brand, for instance.

The older 5 speed is very happy with any, as long it is of high quality and spec.

• Like 3

I've driven hybrids for years and been impressed at the mileage some hybrids cover.  One reason for this is that the engine is only running 50% of the time. TonyHSD's hybrid has covered over 200k miles.  Very impressive, but the engine has 'only' run for (about) 100k miles.  But a diesel never takes any 'time off' and powers the car all the time.  500k miles is staggering! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wooster said:

I've driven hybrids for years and been impressed at the mileage some hybrids cover.  One reason for this is that the engine is only running 50% of the time. TonyHSD's hybrid has covered over 200k miles.  Very impressive, but the engine has 'only' run for (about) 100k miles.  But a diesel never takes any 'time off' and powers the car all the time.  500k miles is staggering! 

I don’t think hybrids internal combustion engines are running half time and it’s kind of wrong thinking that way. Plus hybrids engines has hard times starting and stopping (warming up and cooling) billions of time during their life. These cycles actually accelerates oil degradation a lot. 
My particular case engine is running probably 70-80% of the time because this is exactly the percentage of motorway drive I usually do and engine is running most of the times.
During winter I keep the car ON for hours too where engine is running 2 min within every 10 min ON time to provide heat and electricity.  
Latest models has these connected services and app that can show information about ev time, engine running time , fuel consumption etc , my car doesn’t and I can’t provide exact figures but roughly 70% engine running time imo. In USA Toyota hybrids get proper use, there are Corollas that has over 170k miles done in one year, RAV4’s over 250k miles done in just over two years, I think this is possible with long motorway trips only and engines on these cars work similar to my one even more 👍

• Confused 1

Diesel engines are just built a lot stronger, plus they run at lower RPM, and lastly diesel is much friendlier to mechanical components than petrol as it's practically a lubricant, vs petrol being more like a solvent - All that contributes to the longevity of diesel engines... or at least it did before they started bolting on all that stuff that basically made them more unreliable and prone to failure. Progress!

The hybrid engines tend to last long partly because they have a lower duty-cycle (i.e. are not running all the time), but also they are under a lot less stress than a normal petrol engine. For instance they don't have to rev up to 'move off' - In start-stop traffic that puts a lot of wear on a normal engine, but that's a non-issue with hybrids as MG2 takes care of all of that. Also, under normal use they can run at a lower RPM instead of rising and falling with speed, as the hybrid system acts like a CVT and can run the engine at optimal RPM at almost any speed. (At least until you give it the beans :naughty:  :laugh: ). At 70mph my Mk4's engine can run at a lower RPM than my old diesel Mk1 did! (As long as it's flat and there're no inclines anyway...!)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Diesel engines are just built a lot stronger, plus they run at lower RPM, and lastly diesel is much friendlier to mechanical components than petrol as it's practically a lubricant, vs petrol being more like a solvent - All that contributes to the longevity of diesel engines... or at least it did before they started bolting on all that stuff that basically made them more unreliable and prone to failure. Progress!

The hybrid engines tend to last long partly because they have a lower duty-cycle (i.e. are not running all the time), but also they are under a lot less stress than a normal petrol engine. For instance they don't have to rev up to 'move off' - In start-stop traffic that puts a lot of wear on a normal engine, but that's a non-issue with hybrids as MG2 takes care of all of that. Also, under normal use they can run at a lower RPM instead of rising and falling with speed, as the hybrid system acts like a CVT and can run the engine at optimal RPM at almost any speed. (At least until you give it the beans :naughty:  :laugh: ). At 70mph my Mk4's engine can run at a lower RPM than my old diesel Mk1 did! (As long as it's flat and there're no inclines anyway...!)

Until you start climbing  a step hill, then floor it and into the red zone helicopter helicopter 🚁😂👌

• Haha 2

I'm confused.  Tony HSD said "hybrids engines has hard times starting and stopping (warming up and cooling) billions of time during their life..."  Then Cyker said "they are under a lot less stress than a normal petrol engine."  Both can't be true. 

I realise hybrid engines start and stop 'billions of times' but most are with a warm engine.  Unlike a cold engine, the oil has been warmed up and pumped around, the petrol / air mixture isn't rich which it is to get a cold engine started.  I know most engine wear takes place when starting a cold engine, but I don't understand why restarting a warm engine lots of times would give the engine a 'hard time'. 

27 minutes ago, Wooster said:

I'm confused.  Tony HSD said "hybrids engines has hard times starting and stopping (warming up and cooling) billions of time during their life..."  Then Cyker said "they are under a lot less stress than a normal petrol engine."  Both can't be true. 

I realise hybrid engines start and stop 'billions of times' but most are with a warm engine.  Unlike a cold engine, the oil has been warmed up and pumped around, the petrol / air mixture isn't rich which it is to get a cold engine started.  I know most engine wear takes place when starting a cold engine, but I don't understand why restarting a warm engine lots of times would give the engine a 'hard time'. 

Hi Andrew, 

cyker is right but I am right too imo and there is nothing confusing here . Hybrids are indeed helped by the e motor and unloaded from the  hard work in certain times but in others they start and stop frequently and at higher speeds. Also in many scenarios especially in winter cold weather engine can quickly cool off itself while you are gliding on ev power alone on a flat roads or going downhill., it’s not gonna be as cold as left overnight but definitely temperatures is dropping down as a result of the cold air stream., again something improved in next generation hybrids with active grill that opens and close as needed. 
It will not be a hard time if everything within the specs, however change the oil to different type or viscosity or use of fake filters may cause catastrophic damage.  
Every single start on ice is hard, because you have moving parts (friction) and basically 0psi oil pressure in the first milliseconds, oil pressure buildups up with engine running, perhaps this is the reason why later models gen 4 hybrids and MA series engines has ecu controled oil pump with variable oil pressure and why car owner should stick to oil viscosity as recommended by the Toyota only. 👍

• Like 1

I thought he was talking about the many more starts putting more strain/pressure (haha) on the oil, hence why it still needs similarly regular oil changes even tho' the engine duty-cycle is less than a non-hybrid for the same distance and load.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links