Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cloudy headlights

avetoy

My T27 has 420000 km on the clock and the headlights would need some polishing or maybe even replacement. I would like to know if any of you had some experience about polishing? I have seen the videos about tooth paste method, WD40, etc. Are those even worth to try?

Seems vital to use a uvvresistant varnish after. A body shop did ours and they are lightly clouding again after  a year.

• Like 2

Youtuber WatchJRgo would recommend the Turtlewax kit. He had compared a few but I couldn't tell you which video. One of his latest videos, he actually used the Turtlewax kit again, so watch this, and see what you can expect from it. The only kit I ever used was mediocre results, probably from my own half-ubikd attempt, but I can't remember the kit brand. The headlight stuff starts just after 15 and a half minutes in.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the comments. My car passed the MOT this time without complaints about the headlights (not the same inspector than last time) so I have not done anything yet. 

On 7/20/2022 at 7:45 PM, nb1 said:

Seems vital to use a uvvresistant varnish after. A body shop did ours and they are lightly clouding again after  a year.

I´m afraid that would happen to my car too. Maybe I should start to save for new hedlights...

I have done my dad’s car light last week with great success. I used this kit and a Battery drill, done sanding by hand and polish with the drill. He applied clear coat for sealing the surface and this is not as great but he said he is very happy. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154685507419?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=HUYzmiYbTea&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Work done by the instructions. Here some photos. 

26717097-DE05-4324-81D8-BA5D1F8C23FD.jpeg

C96A9A4B-8712-4654-993C-54B74A039F6C.jpeg

F1954412-4F96-4EAB-A4B9-02DE185E0C5A.jpeg

A1978CCE-8FF0-4975-81FE-998F29892FDA.jpeg

CA49F05A-7D63-439A-834D-7D7327EC760B.jpeg

• Like 4

My Avensis T27 suffers from clouding head light lens, but I polish them every so often. It is mainly the top of the lens, more than the front where the light passes through. I last used T cut and polish (both with UV protection) a few months ago, and the lenses have held up so far. Never had this problem with my old T22 that had glass lenses. I do polish the car after washing, though not the lenses every time. I will do so, from now on.

• Like 4

The plastic headlight lenses are clear coated with auto lacquer similar to the car paint work and from the sun this is what happens. The stronger the sun they see the quicker they will become yellowish. After buff up and polish very important to seal the new shiny surface with new spray coat, or wax sealant to preserve them. 👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, TonyHSD said:

I have done my dad’s car light last week with great success. I used this kit and a battery drill, done sanding by hand and polish with the drill. He applied clear coat for sealing the surface and this is not as great but he said he is very happy. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154685507419?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=HUYzmiYbTea&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Work done by the instructions. Here some photos. 

26717097-DE05-4324-81D8-BA5D1F8C23FD.jpeg

C96A9A4B-8712-4654-993C-54B74A039F6C.jpeg

F1954412-4F96-4EAB-A4B9-02DE185E0C5A.jpeg

A1978CCE-8FF0-4975-81FE-998F29892FDA.jpeg

CA49F05A-7D63-439A-834D-7D7327EC760B.jpeg

Wow the eBay instructions are mind bending lol

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Burton said:

Wow the ebay instructions are mind bending lol

But in reality it’s easy. All you need is patience 👌

On 11/11/2022 at 10:56 PM, Burton said:

Wow the ebay instructions are mind bending lol

I agree that the listed instructions are "mind blowing." However I need to renovate the headlamps on my 2012 T27 Avensis and am feeling I will take a chance on this kit. I used one once before on my Jaguar S-Type lamps and found it reasonably successful. Have also seen some product being marketed (and incidentally distributed ) from USA, named "Restowipe." It is claimed, basically to be, a two stage wipe, wipe off and coat. Cost is £25 plus £3.00 delivery, so rather a costly experiment.

Some of the various kits available do seem rather on the expensive side, so has anyone any experience, good or bad of other makes/suppliers?

Many thanks, Best Wishes and Regards, John 

You could use the classic old one - toothpaste - if it's just to shine them up! :laugh: 

The most important thing is the UV-blocking coating that the better kits have, as without it the plastic will quickly go cloudy again.

It freaks me out a bit as I always think, if it can do that to plastic, what's it doing to my head! :eek: 

Yeah, toothpaste is ok , it's just such a pain flossing the grill afterwards.

• Haha 4

Just for god's sake don't use Listerine on it afterwards!

• Haha 1

Of course not, I ain't daft.

I always use oral b ,or at a push corsodyl.

• Haha 1

I had done dad’s car three times now and the last one that I shared pictures was the best. The trick is to use wet sandpaper 800 for longer time and make the entire surface mat white to the point that if it’s your first time you can loose hope for success, than work with wet sandpaper 1000 and 1500 until the surface becomes brighter white and smooth. Then the machine polish will make them crystal clear again. , work up and down then left to right and repeat, make sure the lenses never gets too hot. I did really enjoyed working on, took me two hours but the results were excellent. 

29 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I had done dad’s car three times now and the last one that I shared pictures was the best. The trick is to use wet sandpaper 800 for longer time and make the entire surface mat white to the point that if it’s your first time you can loose hope for success, than work with wet sandpaper 1000 and 1500 until the surface becomes brighter white and smooth. Then the machine polish will make them crystal clear again. , work up and down then left to right and repeat, make sure the lenses never gets too hot. I did really enjoyed working on, took me two hours but the results were excellent. 

Thank you

Regards, John

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links