Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adjusting to high octane fuel?!

Al D

Put Gulf 97 fuel in last night. Idle always better with high octane, idles at 700rpm on E10. Anyway on way into work today it was idling at 1000rpm then dropping to 700. This was warm. On way home it was fine. Any thoughts?!

13 minutes ago, Al D said:

Put Gulf 97 fuel in last night. Idle always better with high octane, idles at 700rpm on E10. Anyway on way into work today it was idling at 1000rpm then dropping to 700. This was warm. On way home it was fine. Any thoughts?!

The ecu should have no problem adapting to the better fuel. 
I always use Momentum 99 in my car because it works out cheaper mpg even though it’s more expensive. 
You will get more miles out of the tank. Using E10, you might as use water. 😂

• Like 1

Did you have the a/c on?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Did you have the a/c on?

Air con always on. Car working hard enough today to set fan working yet not actually that warm (21 degrees).

12 hours ago, Composite Guru said:

Using E10, you might as use water. 😂

That extracts the vegetable juice effectively. I do it for my 1962 Classic, then add an octane booster.

I mix and match between E10 and E5 higher octane so there's usually a cocktail in the tank. Whether it's a placebo effect, my Yaris "seems" to run better on the go faster stuff.

I found that every different petrol station has ever so slightly different petrol even though they are from the same company.
Been using Tesco momentum from local Tesco garage with great results in efficiency and performance, the garage is closed currently and I use only local bp but fill up with e10 95 instead. Sometimes I do fill up with e5 from other Tescos garages but the engine it’s not the same quiet and acceleration not as good as my usual e5 from my local garage, and often e10 from my local bp is the best. You have to take into account that event and only fill up at places that you have noticed best performance/ efficiency. , avoid garages that you had experienced anomalies after refill. 👍 

I use around 80-100 litres of petrol per week and have a good view on that matter. 👍

• Like 1

Never bought Gulf fuel ever but the main dealer used to buy Fiats off sold fuel and it was that. Used to get fuel as part of the deal and seemed fine. Tried Applegreen 97 and that's decent. Arguably best fuel ever used is Esso 99+. Rocket fuel.

• Like 1

I've only been using E10 but over the past few months I've used more different petrol stations than I have in my previous driving history :laugh: 

TBH haven't noticed much difference in e.g. engine note or performance, but the M15A is a noisy lump and it's so insulated from me via the hybrid system I wasn't expecting to.

The standalones do seem to have returned slightly better mpg than supermarkets, but the difference is so small it could be down to weather and luck tbh...

21 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I found that every different petrol station has ever so slightly different petrol even though they are from the same company.

I've concluded that is because those stoppy oily people are actively urinating in it!

This may seem daft, but I usually go to the Shell station attached to a supermarket at the other end of town.

My reasons being:

I like v power juice

The pumps are well spaced out avoiding congestion and the yobs who start shouting and gesticulating if they have to wait 30 secs while someone goes to pay.

It is the best camera'd up station I have seen,so I feel a bit more secure from the thieves and yobs who dislike cameras.

The Sainsbury's station near me is very badly designed and cramped and always has a queue of drivers who look like they are about to explode.

So another £ or so per tank is worth it to me to be comfortable and the Yaris runs very well on the v stuff.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links