Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 1.5 2017 dash cam?

peteloafer

Hi chaps

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum as I don't use the site too often and find it a tad confusing to navigate.

I'm considering adding a dash cam and wondered if anyone had been through this and had any observations and/or recommendations.

I see Toyota have a suitable one priced £200+ and I'm looking at alternatives first.

I don't understand the electrical considerations but I'm aware you can get cheap ones that plug into cigar point or get them "hard wired" which sounds preferable but probably beyond my level of expertise (👎)

Thanks in anticipation

Best regards

Pete

Edited by peteloafer
Changed title to be more helpful

Hi Pete

I bought a Garmin Dashcam Mini 2 for £90. It’s really small (about the size of your car key fob). I choose it specifically because it was so small and didn’t have a screen on as my Yaris hybrid has enough screens on already! (You can however use your phone to live view when setting up and positioning). I have taken the card out once to look at the footage on a computer. I just wanted something that would switch on when I drove and switch off when I parked. It comes with a 4M cable which I just pushed carefully into the head lining and down and around the dashboard, the edge of the door rubbers and then below the glove box (where I was able to ’lose’ any excess cable) and finally plugged it into the central cigar lighter/12V socket. Just heed any warnings in your Toyota manual about not placing the camera too near the various sensors behind the rear view mirror (if your car has these). I placed it towards the passenger side (but it’s still hidden by the mirror from the driving position). I choose the Garmin because it was a make I was aware of, the ability in the Garmin software to use more than one camera in the future (up to four) and there is also the ability to set up the camera(s) to record whilst parked (but this requires a constant power supply).

Hope this is of some help. This is the first Dashcam I have ever bought but found it easy to install and setup. I wanted a fairly stealth instal and not some huge thing with a screen on (which some people might prefer).

Many thanks

Colin

• Thanks 1

The Toyota dash cams are made by Nextbase, good quality footage, no screen (which is good) but connects via the app to a smartphone. They come with a hard wired kit, which is much more preferable to one in a cig lighter, no trailing wires etc (in my mind anyway) If you did not want to fit yourself, there are plenty of outlets/auto electricians that will do it for you. My tip is to replace the crappy Chinese SD card with a branded name card, I use a 32 GB Kingston, I never have trouble with it 

• Thanks 1

I have a Nextbase 412GW. I chose this as it has a screen. It takes up to a 128gb card (I use the Sandisk cards). The Nextbase which is offered by Toyota is the 380GW. This one has no screen and footage is viewed via the app. I have the Nextbase cameras fitted to my son's car, my daughter's car, and until recently, the wife;s car (which we sold). Her new Yaris will be having the Nextbase 380GW fitted by the dealer as part of the deal we negotiated.

My old Nextbase 412GW has paid for itself already. I was involved in a hit and run, and the insurance company were saying it was a 50/50 accident. Once they saw the footage, they changed their mind as it was clearly a case of the other driver hitting me. Saved my excess and NCB.

There are always going to be discussions about which is the best Dashcam. I've used a few in my life, including cheap Chinese no-name brands and personally, I prefer the Nextbase. Their quality is good, and the customer service is outstanding.  

The only issues I've has with the Nextbase was a mount which broke 5 months after I bought the camera. This was replaced Free of Charge by Nextbase, with no argument. The only other issue I had was with the internal Battery which required replacing after about 18 months. I did this myself (it was easy).

I think it's a case of personal preference. Many members here prefer the Garmin, but I have not used one so can't comment on them. It's a case of doing some research, and then making an informed decision. Buy the one that suits you and how you want to use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had the next base 380gw fitted bye Toyota dealership  Yaris cross Excel.its fitted bye the mirror is out off your eye site which is great and works well with the app. not cheap but after spending so much money on new car well worth it.

with the City pack you get the 8” touch 2 satnav the dealership told me it updates Auto don’t know how that works.

My other car was bye usb stick.

Now told you can do map updates bye download to usb.stick.

can any member please  direct me to a link to the download website were the maps are.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Clubman42 said:

Just had the next base 380gw fitted bye Toyota dealership  Yaris cross Excel.its fitted bye the mirror is out off your eye site which is great and works well with the app. not cheap but after spending so much money on new car well worth it.

I have had two incidents recorded on dash cam that were passed to the Police on the same day by email, both serious accidents, one a girl on a motorbike with life changing injuries, they thought she had been knocked off a bike by a car, but my footage clearly showed she had just lost control of it. That footage was shown to the serious collision unit on scene and emailed in for analysis, luckily the girl pulled through but was left with life changing injuries. My 380GW has worked very well for me, I have downloaded dozens of stupid incidents just for the fun of it, amazing what you see on the roads 

• Like 1

I use a Viofo A119v3 - It uses a sony starvis sensor and has some of the best night footage of current dashcams. Only gripe is the field of view is a bit narrow (Only 140 degrees vs the 160 degrees of the v2).

Uses capacitors so no Battery to fail; Makes it much more resilient to high temperatures, but requires external power to work and won't work unplugged.

I'm waiting for cameras with the starvis2 sensor as they will have 1-frame WDR which will flatten the contrast, making night shots clearer and reducing flare/bloom when entering/exiting tunnels, but no announcements yet :sad:

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 4:25 AM, Big_D said:

I have a Nextbase 412GW. I chose this as it has a screen. It takes up to a 128gb card (I use the Sandisk cards). The Nextbase which is offered by Toyota is the 380GW. This one has no screen and footage is viewed via the app. I have the Nextbase cameras fitted to my son's car, my daughter's car, and until recently, the wife;s car (which we sold). Her new Yaris will be having the Nextbase 380GW fitted by the dealer as part of the deal we negotiated.

My old Nextbase 412GW has paid for itself already. I was involved in a hit and run, and the insurance company were saying it was a 50/50 accident. Once they saw the footage, they changed their mind as it was clearly a case of the other driver hitting me. Saved my excess and NCB.

There are always going to be discussions about which is the best dashcam. I've used a few in my life, including cheap Chinese no-name brands and personally, I prefer the Nextbase. Their quality is good, and the customer service is outstanding.  

The only issues I've has with the Nextbase was a mount which broke 5 months after I bought the camera. This was replaced Free of Charge by Nextbase, with no argument. The only other issue I had was with the internal battery which required replacing after about 18 months. I did this myself (it was easy).

I think it's a case of personal preference. Many members here prefer the Garmin, but I have not used one so can't comment on them. It's a case of doing some research, and then making an informed decision. Buy the one that suits you and how you want to use it.

I will tip my friend about Nextbase 412GW. The dealer's quote is pricey and has no screen.  We'll just finish installing the suspension and jeep wheels on the Wrangler before we can clear the garage for the Yaris.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links