Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Wash for a hybrid

Gerro

I own a hybrid C-HR. I am uncertain whether to use a local car wash. It is the type that connects to the front wheel and pulls the car through the car wash tunnel. It is necessary to put the car in neutral. But to do this the ignition needs to be on. I have heard various comments about doing this particularly that the Battery can go flat and stop the car from moving forward or driving out of the car wash.

Anybody with experience of this or advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

The C-HR is a FWD car. If I've understood you correctly, at your local carwash you'd drive the car forward so that the front wheels sit on a conveyor which the 'pulls' your car through the wash. All you need to ensure is that the handbrake is off so the the rear wheels are free to rotate.

You can ensure that is the case in one of two ways:

• Switch the engine off and disengage the handbrake.
  • Leave the car in Ready mode and select neutral.

I'd prefer the former.

I went through one of these once, and once only. I spoke to Toyota and was told to leave the car in neutral with the ignition on. I got about 3/4 of the way through and there was a lot of beeping. The car wasn't happy as the Battery wasn't charging even though the car was moving. 

I've not been through one again. 

I also tried the one where the car stands still and the car wash moves over it. This worked a bit better, but I still wasn't happy with the overall quality of the wash.

I now take it to a hand car wash out near Tadley. They are brilliant. There is always a queue and they spend a decent amount of time on each car. It's not a case of getting them through as quickly as they can. They are also quite reasonably priced.

• Like 3

I would never use a car wash! I always do my own then there is only one person to blame. Also the products used are a known thing. For me all washing aids are Ph neutral, mainly as the C-HR has the Toyota protect applied and previously always had ceramic coating ( not the ones that last 3-6 months) therefore I like to lookafter the finish.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chrisg99 said:

I would never use a car wash! I always do my own then there is only one person to blame. Also the products used are a known thing. For me all washing aids are Ph neutral, mainly as the C-HR has the Toyota protect applied and previously always had ceramic coating ( not the ones that last 3-6 months) therefore I like to lookafter the finish.

Agree. Most car washes recycle their water via a filtration system whether fixed of mobile, so your open to guess what's in the H2O

Hi some of car wash places have been known to use harmful chemicals ie brick acid for wheel cleaner. 

• Like 2

The OP car wash is a Californian Car Wash.  If you do use it or any other for that matter make sure your headlights are not on auto and the same with your wipers.  Similarly your aircon and fans should be off. 

It will get a bit stuffy as you are pulled through. 

Happy? 😊

Personally I use one local wash, probably Iraqi.  They do a good job and are quick, but even so they still miss bits such as under bonnet and sills. 

At home I use a pressure washer in the wheel arches and underbody. If I have time I use a trolley jack to extend the wheels. I use an extended angled lance that can reach right under the car. 

• Like 1

Automated Car washes are the worst enemy to any car. Best to wash yourself if possible and if not,  a hand car wash done by professional valeters in house or mobile, someone who take proud of what they are doing, and at the end local Albanian hand car wash still will better than any machine ones. Worst case scenario better use this self washes at popular petrol stations if there are still available, I only wash the car by myself on weekly basis  and in very rare occasions can use local hand car wash, they do a good job for the price. Sometimes is better to leave the car dirty for long periods of time than taking it into bad car washes as the automatic ones, they do cause more damage than good. Some car manuals even recommended not to use or risking breaking car exterior accessories like wing mirrors, antenna, spoilers etc. 👍

• Like 1

Aye, many a roof antenna has been sacrificed to the automated car wash gods!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I took a car to one of those car washes once... never again! I always do mine myself, this way i know the job is done properly.

• Like 2

Another vote here for avoiding auto washes for any car at all.

I have noticed round here that they are not used at all now,since the hand wash fellas started up all over the place.

I would sooner wash and valet the car myself, but cannot do it now,so the hand wash it is.

They do a pretty good job, and are friendly and pleasant, plus they ask if they can buy my car at every visit! (They are tsport enthusiasts)

• Like 1

The Californian car wash near Grimsby was hot bad, enter on right, proceed anti clockwise. 

Then it was stripped out and became a manual car but clockwise. 

After use they probably provided an address for bumper repairs as evidenced by the wall scrapes.  There is a car park we don't use which also attacks car bumpers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links