Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Corolla 1.8 TS tyre choice

PRus

16 minutes ago, Persimmon said:

Yup, I think these are the ones I have for winter. Here's a photo of my previous Hatchback with those wheels and winter tyres.

IMG_2069.jpg

Looks good to me 👍
 I have black and silver and they look good on my white car but honestly I didn’t mind any even a steely just to get rid of the 17” low profiles. With those every single crack on the road, every single small gravel can be felt straight on my back but now the car drives much more rubbery and handles the same, it’s a win win, oh and the tyres are way cheaper. 👌

E918B4B7-E98A-40A6-991A-843683FB77A0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 3:22 PM, shufman said:

No I’m on the 18” and it’s a 2.0 hatch. 

I think on 17s you’d get the same results. 

ian 😊

Oh wow, ok 🙂 17" should be even better I think. 

On 7/31/2022 at 2:15 PM, Persimmon said:

I'd personally not switch from 17" to 18" on a Corolla. I'm actually thinking of going from 17" to 16" in the future. Granted, I've driven 18" on Falkens  only (so worst possible noise 🙂), but still

I was on 18" Continentals the whole winter, on the original 17" Falkens since then and have only felt a little bit of less/worse handling feeling; the steering is way lighter and mute with the latter. We ride mostly on Germany's south roads and the surface is quite smooth even on B roads, so we haven't felt a difference in comfort between both sizes.

Granting our daily drive is not through highways and B roads, I do feel that the comfort feeling is mainly road surface driven... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of ride quality with smaller rims, picked up our Swace SZ5 yesterday and the difference between it and the MY19 TS Design we sent back is night and day. Glides over the crappy roads round here so really glad we’ve got the 16” wheels. It’s wearing Continental Eco Contact 6 at present and while they seem fine in the dry (and significantly quieter than the Falkens on the reject) I’m keen to see how they do in the wet and during winter. Looking good with 12k miles on though and had the dealer rotate front-rear before collection so no idea when we’ll get to try something different

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 10:55 PM, Derek.w said:

I prefer to stick with original make fitted on purchase as road handling is specified against cars recommended tyres.

Manufacturers don't always stick the best of tyres on their car. While it's still fine driving with it, there could be other better tyre options. Sometimes they get a deal with the tyres manufacturers or reduce cost by not putting premium brands on new cars. 

Falkens are mid range tyres, they are not the best as have stated by reviews. There will be better handling tyres than the falkens like the Goodyear egp and Michelin for sure. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Goob said:

On the subject of ride quality with smaller rims, picked up our Swace SZ5 yesterday and the difference between it and the MY19 TS Design we sent back is night and day. Glides over the crappy roads round here so really glad we’ve got the 16” wheels. It’s wearing Continental Eco Contact 6 at present and while they seem fine in the dry (and significantly quieter than the Falkens on the reject) I’m keen to see how they do in the wet and during winter. Looking good with 12k miles on though and had the dealer rotate front-rear before collection so no idea when we’ll get to try something different

Just to clarify, are you talking about the improvement of ride comfort only, or also the tyre noise?

2 hours ago, Persimmon said:

Just to clarify, are you talking about the improvement of ride comfort only, or also the tyre noise?

I believe he mentioned both. 👍

• Like 1

Road surfaces are playing huge role in car road and tyre noise.
Last few days I went on trip to Dorset and lol , whoever lives there, you guys are lucky 🍀👌 Your roads are in exceptional condition and also very smooth surfaces almost everywhere I went.  They look like very much the rest of Europe. My car was ultra quiet, seriously no noise at all, only wind from my Wiper Blades that’s all. Back on M25 and M40 and what a bad experience, felt like I am  driving a completely different car. 

• Like 4

@TonyHSD

That is so true! If the road surface is rough whatever car you have you will hear the rumble.

Spoke with Toyota and they offer two tyres, Falken ZE310EC 94W XL and Dunlop is Blue Response 91W SPT.  The Falken is the factory tyre which I don't want, and I heard good stuff regarding the Dunlops(part of goodyear) at a good price around £91 each fitted and balanced.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I believe he mentioned both. 👍

🤦 somehow I ignored the text in the brackets

Good to hear! So far, after reading several forum threads, I've completed a list of quiet, grippy and comfortable tires for a Corolla:

• Continental Eco Contact 6
  • Michelin Crossclimate 2
  • Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 
  • Michelin Primacy 4

As soon as I manage to find 16" Toyota rims, I'd get one of those tires. Leaning towards Michelin Primacy 4. Probably, there isn't a world of difference between those particular choices though.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Road surfaces are playing huge role in car road and tyre noise.

Totally agree.  Near to where I live there is a major reconstruction of a road junction and the adjacent roads.  Just last week they laid the new road surface.  Driving on it the car is totally silent, especially in EV mode, it's like floating on air, it's unbelievably quite and smooth.  Then get back on to the old road surface and the road noise seems to be even more pronounced after driving on the super smooth new surface. I am still on the original Falkens.  

• Like 3

Can anyone please who has all season fitted to their cars share experience with the tyre behaviour and properties in current high heat and dry conditions? Highly appreciate anyone wanting to share some information. I am thinking of going all season and particularly Goodyear Vector 4 season gen 3, but any all season V shaped tyre brand will have similar characteristics. 
Thanks again 👍

• Like 1

I don't know about the current one, but the old Vector 4Seasons was a very balanced all-season and did tend to get a bit soft in hotter weather.

The Cross Climates would be slightly better as they (I believe) use a summer-biased compound, but either will have slightly worse braking and worse cornering than a proper summer tyre, esp. in this heat.

That's just the compromise you have to make for a tyre that works well in both!

My very simplified view is I think the 4Seasons is better if you live Up Norf, while the CrossClimates are better Daaan Saaafff :laugh: 

Given you're quite experienced at service the car yourself, have you considered just getting 2 sets of tyres and rims and just doing a swapsie? Could use summer tyres for this time of year and switch to the 4Seasons or Crossclimates or whatever in late autumn - Would reduce the wear on both so they last even longer, and not compromise on handling, performance or safety. With 2 sets, would be relatively quick to swap (I don't like the idea of having to go to a tyre place twice a year to swap the tyres on the rims; Having 2 sets would be much better IMHO!)

• Like 2

That is a good idea, provided there are space to store a set in the garage or shed. I think North will need to be at least Derbyshire. 2 sets will work out the best safety.

I'm not good at changing anything mechanically, though I should be able to handle changing a set of wheels (if I ever move up north).

• Like 1

Some dealerships might offer to hold on the ones that you are changing , obviously if you bought from them

• Like 1

Given you're quite experienced at service the car yourself, have you considered just getting 2 sets of tyres and rims and just doing a swapsie? Could use summer tyres for this time of year and switch to the 4Seasons or Crossclimates or whatever in late autumn - Would reduce the wear on both so they last even longer, and not compromise on handling, performance or safety. With 2 sets, would be relatively quick to swap (I don't like the idea of having to go to a tyre place twice a year to swap the tyres on the rims; Having 2 sets would be much better IMHO!)”- 

You are right about it, I had been doing exactly this with two sets of wheels/tyres since 2018 and it did saved me a lots of money and hassle. The reason I am looking to switch to one set all seasons is because the tyres does not last me long here in uk, perhaps the salt on the roads during winter. Both my current sets of tyres has developed inner side wall cracks and I need to replace them , although the tread depth is around 4-5mm on all tyres and they are only 2-4 years old. My thoughts now if I use one set I will need to replace every two to three years or once every 100k miles. 🛞🛣

Granted not on a Corolla, but we have been running Crossclimate, Crossclimate+ and Crossclimate2 tyres  since 2017 on both our cars.  Since then that has been a 15 plate Renault Zoe, 18 plate Ford KA+, 69 plate Ford Fiesta and finally the 71 plate Yaris as second cars.  The main cars have been 67 Kia Niro plug in and 69 Skoda Octavia.

The only difference I have noticed over summer months has been reduced tyre noise, there has been no lack of grip or braking ability noticed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Having been distinctly underwhelmed by the 225/40R18 Falkens on my 2.0 car and with winter on the way, I bit the bullet last week and switched to Cross Climate 2s.  

I had Cross Climate SUVs on my previous car, a Lexus RX, and was happy with them and I am not disappointed with the new ones on the Corolla - the car is noticeably quieter on most motorways and dual carriageways and I am sure that (even without the RX's AWD capability) they will allow me to get to and from my parent's house, which is at the bottom of an ungritted hill, this winter.  

Money well spent, I reckon.

20220902_085803.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/23/2022 at 10:55 PM, Derek.w said:

I prefer to stick with original make fitted on purchase as road handling is specified against cars recommended tyres.

I understand your logic, but manufacturers often change the tyres they supply cars with - it is usually what bulk-buy deals that they can get. VW seem to change brands all the time. The falkens seem to be pretty universally used, but I’ve seen some new cars in dealerships with Continental tyres, which raises a flaw with your logic. Tyre tech changes, and better options become available, so it’s worth keeping your options open, buying on feedback / reviews & test scores rather than just because the car came with a particular type. Feedback on here suggests Goodyear tyres improve the ride, grip & noise levels, which is probably where I’ll go for my next set 

• Like 1

With cars that have had custom OE specified tyres then it's worth getting them again (If you have the money!!) but I'm pretty sure the tyres Toyota fit are just the normal version of the tyres, so there's no real reason to fit the same ones. Even the Pilot Sport 4S they fit to the GR Yaris are standard ones, and not e.g. the PS4S* that's custom designed and tailored for e.g. certain BMWs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COA630Juf_U

• Like 1

Here now my tyres Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 look after had done circa 80000 miles. To date these are the best tyres I have had on any car. Recent heavy rain they seems like did not loose any wet handling capabilities at all. I drove through flooded motorway at 60mph even more and the car was absolutely fine without any warning of aqua planing at all , very confident drive. Also sometimes when driving on dark country lanes and unknown places some turns comes a bit sharper , something that in the dark it’s more difficult to see and the car just goes around like on rails, no skid, no noises. Noise levels are also reduced with tread weaR which seems even without any cupping. Overall very satisfied with them and if I don’t go for all season ones I definitely gonna buy these again, 👌👍🛞

417740AC-F115-40E3-ACC9-91EE176ED434.jpeg

326B51F7-0413-4253-B7E1-4B279D532260.jpeg

4B9E73A7-3189-4794-8478-0E7F086152C4.jpeg

47EC2EF8-5474-447F-B58B-9EBD02F18318.jpeg

• Like 1

That's pretty amazing; Mine are only 2 years-ish old and already down to 3mm!! :crybaby:

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

That's pretty amazing; Mine are only 2 years-ish old and already down to 3mm!! :crybaby:

I am surprised too how long they last and how well they work, sadly they aged and cracks has appeared therefore will be replacing soon, plus thinking may take the car on a Euro trip again , I like German sausages 👌 but they ask for winter or all season tyres if you like to visit them from November to April. 
I think the smaller size plus easy motorway drives, less roundabouts, less manoeuvres in tiny spots , less acceleration and braking is what helps to extend the life, and easy corners of course. 

• Like 1

Things are a bit more complicated since WLTP. Each tyre has to be separately tested. Corollas have Continental for 16" wheels and Falken for 17" wheels.

Before ordering the Corolla I had a Skoda Kamiq on order.  It had a choice of 3, Michelin, Continental or Goodyear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links