Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

C-HR new owner

j3nnyliz

Hi all 👋🏼
I picked up my 2018 ‘approved used’ C-HR on Thursday. So far, I’m underwhelmed sadly. 
Purchasing from a main dealership, I had expected a bit more than I got. Mostly my fault for wrongfully assuming that would be the case. 

I test drove the same model, but my actual purchase was being delivered from another part of the country. Stupidly, I paid for the car before seeing it. 
I took up the offer of having them fit the Nextbase 380GWX dash cam prior to me collecting the car. I was sold on the wifi enabled device which I would be able to view the footage of on my phone.  Again wrongfully assuming this would be likened to a ring doorbell enabling me to watch live footage in the event of vandalism or theft. Lol, I’m glad I have a good sense of humour! Just how trusting and wrongfully assuming I have been is a bit scary. 

a scratch on the bumper, which I was told existed over the phone when the car came to the garage I was purchasing from, was not rectified as suggested, because ‘the bloke that does it, hadn’t been in. 
The car had not been thoroughly cleaned. The windows are smeared - I’ve cleaned them as the sun was making visibility poor. There are ‘crumbs’ in and around the gearbox. The passenger vanity mirror/sun visor, is simply not there. It looks to have been ripped off. The centre console looks as though something has been stuck on with superglue and the residue remains. 
Under boot flap contents consist of a can of tyre glue. No more, no less. The parcel shelf is woefully crap and flimsy. Not sure if it’s a replacement for the original.  The car only came with one key. When I questioned it, ‘sometimes that’s just how they come’ was the explanation. The Wiper Blades will need replacing imminently and 24 hours after having the vehicle, the tyre pressure warning light is on - also, the solo key is sometimes undetectable when placed on the centre console - now it says that the Battery in the key fob should be replaced. And, no auto lock as you drive off. I’d be happier if it did. 

I’m finding the 8inch display is a little bit funny too. Not a great bit of kit in my humble opinion. I linked it to wifi thinking I could download some awesome apps………oh. 
and noises beep when I have no idea why. 

Some years ago, I had a Toyota verso that lasted for years without issue. I’m sceptical this will be the case with the CHR. 

I’m still waiting to fall in love with my new car. Yes, I purchased it for the fuel economy - maybe my expectations of everything else is simply misplaced.  

please tell me it gets better???

Have you considered going back to the dealer with the list of problems and asking them to resolve?

Presumably you've got to take it back to get the scratch removed, I'd also want the missing sun visor replacing because that's quite obvious damage/missing item, ideally a second key providing, a thorough valet and the parcel shelf checking. 

The sat nav won't get any better but you might want to check if its had a recent map update applied.

• Like 2

A poor experience for you unfortunately.

Could I ask was this from a Toyota main dealer? Or different make dealer.

How many miles does the car have on it ?

Did you buy the car as a trade sale (as is at trade price)or full retail?

I ask these things as from your description it sounds like a trade car , IE ,not prepared for retail sale, and indeed damaged to some degree.

No good telling you the things you have already obviously learned from this like the buying without seeing part, but if you finish up keeping the car I would say get another key ASAP.

There are many tales of woe on here of people losing the one key they have and having great difficulty and expense rectifying the situation,if indeed it's possible to.

My initial reaction would be to advise rejecting the car back to the dealer for a refund, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here though who may be able to give better advice, so I would wait for more comments awhile.

• Like 2

Again was it from a Toyota dealer or somewhere else. Check the conditions of their 'approved used'  scheme - is it a manufacturers scheme, dealer scheme or third party. As regards the tyre inflation kit, that may well have been the standard fitment, rather than a space saver spare. Check the expiry date on the can - ideally they should have replaced that with an in-date can.

Have a look at the following Which? article on the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Which?

I would contact the dealer principal in writing re the way the car was delivered, and ask for rectification of the issues, otherwise you may be in a position to reject.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I learned the hard way many years ago when I bought a used car which was in another part of the country (not Toyota) before seeing it. I had issues with the condition of the car and complained to the the dealer who did eventually resolve the issues. Never again and hope you get it sorted

• Like 1

Hi Jenny. Welcome.

It is so sad that you are having such a poor experience. This sounds very much like a dealer who couldn't care less. I see you bought it from a main dealership. Have you considered contacting their Managing Director, and Toyota GB to voice your concerns?

I was lucky when I bought mine. I needed to buy a car and looked at getting a new C-HR. None of the dealers I visited cold deliver within the timeframe I needed. so I settled for a pre-owned C-HR with 4000 miles on the clock. I was really impressed with the dealer. They did everything the said they would and I have had no problems with my car at all.

I hope you do get everything sorted out.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments. 

It was a Steven Eagell Toyota dealership. 

I have emailed the sales executive and cc'd direct@toyota. I have raised my concerns and quoted my rights to return the vehicle within 14 days under Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013. I don't like being ubiky but I don't like not getting what I paid for even more! . The Battery in the fob has now decided to fully die. I'm having to take the key out of the fob to gain entry/lock it, and put the fob on the start/stop to get the car going. I've been to the garage to rectify the tyres. one was at 22psi while the remaining 3 were at 36psi. Thought I'd sorted it - but no - the tyre warning light stays on! 

Shame. 

Moved to the C-HR forum.

This sounds awful and to think this came from a main dealer; unthinkable.

Did you pay for any of the car using a credit card? Maybe your deposit? If so, check out https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/

Even the relatively 'minor' issues should not have been present,  be strong on this one and keep pushing for the car you should have had. In terms of fuel economy, theres not many better cars on the road size wise which can better it... full EVs aside of course.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 1

Thank you - no, I paid by debit card and part-ex. I have every faith it will be sorted. 
if not, I will simply pitch a tent outside the dealership and tell anyone going past my story 😊

• Haha 2

Go get'em Jenny and be a pain, don't let them fob you off. You know what you want and you know what your rights are so there's no need for a second best C-HR

• Like 1

Yeah just make a list of all your issues and e-mail it to them, perhaps also cc'ing in toyota gb and the dealer head office if you want to light a fire under their bum

They should sort it out.

If it makes you feel better, I've had similar experiences; My first Toyota was a Mk1 Yaris D4D, bought sight-unseen as it was at another dealer. Was basically okay, but they'd only done a cursory clean as I found half a bush and a well full of sand in the spare-wheel bay (Apparently the previous owner was a gardening enthusiast!!) and the cabin air filter was literally packed with dead wasps!

My parents 2nd Verso was bought 'in advance' as the dealer was in the process of taking it in part exchange. It was clear they'd only just gotten it and hadn't gone over it properly as it was full of sweets, crumbs, wrappers etc. all in various crevices, the cup holders were broken, some of trims had deep gouges and cracks in them etc. (We still find the odd sweet wrapper if we slide the seats around or fold them down or access some under-floor storage that we hadn't before - The Verso's previous owner must have been Willy Wonka!!)

It had to go back there 3-4 times IIRC but they did eventually resolve everything to my parents satisfaction, cleaning it more thoroughly and removing all the stuck sweets and replacing all the damaged trims.

The car also came with one key but I pointed out it should have come with two, so they eventually agreed to replace the missing one as part of the sale. (Which was a good result as they're quite pricey!)

• Like 1

🤣 I love willy wonka - but wouldn’t want his car! 

I changed the Battery in my key fob yesterday - so that’s one issue sorted.  

I also read on here about resetting the tyre pressure by pushing a button somewhere- so I’ll do that to get the light off once I’m satisfied the low pressure tyre was due to natural air loss rather than a nail in it! 

on another positive note, I wasn’t able to give them the v5 at part ex because I didn’t take the private plate off until I got to the garage.  If my understanding is correct, they’ll need the new v5 with the original license plate on it before they can send it to auction? 
The v5 arrived yesterday.  
I’m thinking I’ll use this as my ransom note! 

I’ll let you know the outcome.  
Thanks for all your comments. I feel this site is going to be a valuable resource! 

• Haha 1

Jenny, I couldn't believe the litany of problems you have experienced and stayed so calm about it.    I spent all my working life in industries associated with the motor trade, mainly body shops and  I would have had an apoplectic  fit if what they presented to you was put in front of me. These cars are not cheap to buy used but for a dealer to behave like this is disgraceful and I would return the car and demand a full refund along with a stiff letter to the CEO of the Toyota dealership, plus let Toyota UK know  how one of their nominated retailers have treated you.   It has to be the dealer who doesn't give a damn,   I have bought 3 Toyotas, 2 new and one used for my daughter in the last 16 months from the same dealer whose service levels are off the charts when it comes to customer service.  I admit great customer service is what I expect and take for granted but you have been treated as if you purchased a car from someone who has modelled themselves on Arthur Daley from some back street garage under the railway arches.   Buying unseen should never influence the condition of a main dealer purchase.    Lexus and Toyota as brands are bonkers about customer satisfaction and dealers come in for a lot of stick if they fall below a ranking of 9.5 out of 10.    So, Jenny make a nuisance of yourself and give this dealer hell for treating you with such contempt.            

• Like 4

Hang in there Jenny. The C-HR is a lovely car. Unfortunately your experience has been spoilt by a bad Dealer.

Email the Man in charge at the dealer, email the Sales Manager, and email the Salesperson. Email each person individually and copy Toyota GB in on each email. The more emails you send, the more they are likely to get things sorted out.

• Like 1

Ok, here is todays update.......

Tyre was down again this morning - must be a nail or similar. 

I have found what can only be described as half of someone's garden grass cuttings under the lower boot. Think Worsel Gummidge 😁

The passenger window can not be operated via the passenger switch. Only the drivers controls appear to operate the passenger window 🥴.

Furthermore, no acknowledgement from the email I sent to the sales executive on Saturday. So I am now forwarding my original message with the additional points found wrong since sending that email to a whole host of people - 

• General Manager,
  • Centre Manager,
  • Sales Manager,
  • Aftersales Manager,
  • Business Centre Manager and
  • Direct@toyota.co.uk

I'm requesting they collect the car, leave me with a replacement, fix the issues and return the car to me. Not sure if they will..... If not, it'll be going back! 

• Like 1

As regards the passenger window, has the window isolation switch by the driver's door window switches, inadvertently been pressed???

The switch has a graphic of a window crossed through.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, but I'm fairly certain it's an electrics/other issue;

I isolated the windows, un-isolated the windows, turned the car off, restarted the engine, isolated them again and un-isolated them again

The back windows work 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, j3nnyliz said:

I have found what can only be described as half of someone's garden grass cuttings under the lower boot. Think Worsel Gummidge 😁

Huh, another gardening enthusiast previous owner! Maybe it's the same person who owned my old Mk1 :laugh: 

• Haha 1

I think I would be getting in touch with Consumer Direct and when I  know my rights.

I would take the car back to the dealership unannounced and I asking them to look at the problems you have with the car and ask them to fix the problem or you would like a refund. You must give the dealership time of essence of essence to put things right. You have tried the soft action way by sending emails and you are getting anywhere. Don't phone them just walk in unannounced and speak to someone face to face.

Just out of a matter of interest, how many miles has it clocked up and was it an ex lease car 

I fear you may never be happy with this car the longer your issues go on. Probably now is a good time to throw the car back at them completely.

The Steven Eagell group is a large franchise and getting to the top may be a very difficult task because of it's size.

Threaten them with legal action if they don't comply and to place a stinker of a Google review, which I class as poor in the first instance.

It's very disappointing but also so typical of big franchises. Good luck

• Like 1

I've previously rejected a car and although I didnt use this template, it is from a recognised source https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-rejecting-a-new-or-used-car-bought-from-a-dealer-aeziX3M7tYNw

One thing I would suggest you do is to take photographs if not already done, and note as if a diary, the actions you have to take and costs incurred. 

Personally I dont think your email trail aims high enough, I'd certainly be looking at the Dealer Principal and in that letter, quoting some of the letter in the link, ask for details of their legal dept or representative so you can progress this matter either through the small claims court or higher. Whether you take that action is your choice.

As someone already has said, you may never be happy with this car so if it was me, a full refund or an equivalent vehicle which has been supplied as you expected initially.

Keep us posted, I hope someone from the dealership or related is reading this, as their reputation is starting to take a slide and the cost to resolve this will be little compared to what could be incurred through lost sales etc.

Wishing you all the very best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GBgraham said:

The Steven Eagell group is a large franchise and getting to the top may be a very difficult task because of it's size.

Steven Eagell (himself!) is still in charge of this company on a daily basis, unless something has very recently changed.  I have read/heard (e.g. Glassdoor website, and speaking directly to former staff) that he does get personally interested in these customer disasters.  It may be worth emailing him directly to help get a speedier resolution.

I understand the chain is the biggest Toyota/Lexus dealership in Europe, and is clearly still buying up other franchises in Anglia, the Midlands and beyond.  The head office is in Milton Keynes, where they have a call centre that service requests are directed through.

I live in the middle of their 'domain', from my personal experience their servicing is, er, 'very variable', to put it mildly.  Although sometimes it's fine!  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gerg said:

Steven Eagell (himself!) is still in charge of this company on a daily basis, unless something has very recenntly changed.  I have read/heard (e.g. Glassdoor website, and speaking directly to former staff) that he does get personally interested in these customer disasters.  It may be worth emailing him directly to help get a speedier resolution.

I understand the chain is the biggest Toyota/Lexus dealership in Europe, and is clearly still buying up other franchises in Anglia, the Midlands and beyond.  The head office is in Milton Keynes, where they have a call centre that service requests are directed through.

I live in the middle of their 'domain', from my personal experience their servicing is, er, 'very variable', to put it mildly.  Although sometimes it's fine!  

I won’t be taking out their service plan after this! 

• Like 1

Today we have progress - but only because 'Toyota Direct' got involved. The center manager called - very apologetic. They are going to collect the car, fix the car and return the car. They have asked for an emailed list of the issues that I consider need addressing and I have attached photos - 

To confirm, the primary concerns I have, aside from purchasing a car in good faith, from what I had anticipated was a reputable garage, is as follows - 

• The car is provided with one key. This key did not have sufficient Battery life in it for even 24 hours of me driving the car away
  • The passenger side sun visor/vanity mirror is absent
  • The passenger side window will not operate using the passenger side controls - the passenger window only appears to work when controlled via the drivers controls 
  • The drivers side rear tyre has a slow puncture/other fault - I'm not confident the remaining 3 tyres are of sound quality
  • The amount of scratches and chips in the paintwork 
  • The wheel rims are in  poor condition
  • There appears to be some kind of residue (glue?) on the centre console which is not easily removed
  • The car appears not to have had a full valet given the dirt in the car, on the seats and on the internal doors and roof - there are grass cutting remains under the lower boot

They have offered to return the car with a full tank of fuel by way of an apology. I've already filled it so requested wind deflectors and mud flaps instead! How glamorous! 

I'll report back! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links