Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine oil level

adinfinito

2 hours ago, marlinleg said:

I am 74yr old . 1966 RAF North Luffenham driving a lorry bang engine seized no oil I hadn't check the oil. Fortunately for me the engine block had cracked. I always check oil from that day to this 😵💫

What could have been the punishment if it had been your 'fault'?!

😬

9 minutes ago, Gerhard_Corolla said:

A tip I read on another forum: You can do the regular process to check the engine's oil level, but if it's a little bit difficult to read it, fold a tissue or napkin over the dip-stick, open it carefully without moving nor tissue or dip-stick and that way you would immediately see the correct level...

The first time I checked the oil level, I needed three attempts and use light reflection to try to infer where it was. I found out that the level is 3/4mm above the MAX mark, did a little research and decided that the level should be corrected on the next oil change. Apparently they all come overfilled from the factory, and if it's not above a centimeter, it doesn't cause splashing bubbles nor augment the piston pressure or valves.

Supposedly you need to fill the engine with 4 liters, start the engine and let it warm up, shut it down and let the oil cool/drop for 5 minutes, and then add little by little the remaining 300ml until you reach the b mark on the dip-stick.

Oooh I'll have to try the napkin trick.

(Seriously, fresh 0w8 is practically invisible!!!)

7 minutes ago, Gerhard_Corolla said:

What could have been the punishment if it had been your 'fault'?!

Latrine duty and peeling potatos??

• Haha 2

Best to keep oil level at maxium or just under checking when cold and on a level surface

It turns out the oil level markings are for when the oil is still warm! That's what the manual says anyway...

I can rememder some MFG having two upper markings & two lower markings on dipsticks but that was years ago (Land Rover ) is one make I can recall using this system.

Anyone want to wast fuel just to heating up  your engine oil for a slightly more accurate reading feel free to do so then again how long after before checking to allow oil to flow back down to sump?.

My Fault it would have been 7 Days Jankers . Report every morning to the guard house At 5am and every evening at 10pm 

• Like 2

I drove the car to the dealer. Just prior I checked again and it seemed at max with a warm engine (which to me is weird, since I measured it the other day higher and I measured it with cold engine at that level, but maybe slight inclination). 

The mechanic said it is fine, so case closed. Thanks for everyone's input and have a great day.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I can rememder some MFG having two upper markings & two lower markings on dipsticks but that was years ago (Land Rover ) is one make I can recall using this system.

Anyone want to wast fuel just to heating up  your engine oil for a slightly more accurate reading feel free to do so then again how long after before checking to allow oil to flow back down to sump?.

Manual suggests to check 5-10 mins after turning car off IIRC.

On 7/24/2022 at 7:17 PM, Cyker said:

Latrine duty and peeling potatos??

Latrines duties are daily if it's your 'block' job that week!  More likely he'd get a fine, restriction of privileges, locked up, or if he opted to refuse his COs award it would be straight to Court Marshall (only a fool doesn't accept his award).  If the military can't find a specific offence has been committed they fall back on Section 69, 'conduct not becoming of a soldier', to make any 'charge' stick.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links