Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EPS light on 1-2 times a week

Biomecanoid

Hello,

I have a used 2006 Daihatsu Sirion 1000cc and starting from this month the Electric Power Steering light comes on accompanied by a series of clicking noises 1-2 times a week.

I have an LAUNCH Creader 3001 OBDII scanner and it shows no codes when the light is on ( maybe it can't read the code )

When the EPS light comes on in order to make it functional again i have to turn the steering wheel while turning the car on, then it works reliably.

Also tested my Battery with the Topdon ArtiBattery101 tester and its 98% charged 100% healthy and the Battery its self is 400CCA which is more than then car needs.

Is there anything simple I can do on my own, what do you think the issue is ? where is the motor located ? inside the dash ? How much does it cost to be repaired professionally ?

Thank you

First thing to check would be the fluid level of your power steering system.

14 minutes ago, paul9 said:

First thing to check would be the fluid level of your power steering system.

Its Electric Power Steering not Hydraulic 

• Like 1

Yeah, I was just checking and about to mention that. Sorry.🤐

The only electric system I had seen was one where the motor was on the steering column, So tucked away near the driver's knees.

I forgot to add that when I turn the ignition to on all checks come out fine, EPS turns on only when i crank the engine is the EPS module starved of power when I start the car ?

Update :

I went to 3 mechanics they all scanned the car with the OBDII but they found nothing worng with the car no error code.
What now ?

Check the fan/AUX belt is tight, and the Battery terminals are clean (remove from Battery and clean) and tight

when the light comes on, does the steering go heavy ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Check the fan/AUX belt is tight, and the battery terminals are clean (remove from battery and clean) and tight

when the light comes on, does the steering go heavy ?

Thank you for the reply, I have found the same video myself and I guess I may ask a mechanic to clean the motor.

What does the fan belt has to do with the Electric Power Sterring ?

When the EPS light goes on steering is heavy and I have to start the car while moving the steering then the issue goes away and works fine until I park the car for long while

What I have done so far is:

* Checked the Battery and alternator with Topdon ArtiBattery101 everything checks out fine
* Battery terminals are clean and don't look corroded
* Swapped EPS Fuse with the Ignition Fuse which is exactly the same no change
* Disconnected the Battery and let the car sit over night, Issue re-appeared in the morning
* Connected my LAUNCH Creader 3001 OBDII scanner found no codes apart from CAT_RDY incomplete which is totally irrelevant

Is there a sensor for the EPS ? and a computer module ? how can I found out where are they located ?

If you look at that video it shows how to get codes from the eps by linking 2 pins of obd2 port, not all scan tools can read all modules even some higher end ones don't as its manufacturer specific

yes there is a sensor called the SAS  - Steering Angle Sensor yes there is a re-learn/calibration procedure

Not familiar with that Creader make sure you update it and you have the Daihatsu module installed, do a specific scan rather than a generic obd2 read

45 minutes ago, flash22 said:

If you look at that video it shows how to get codes from the eps by linking 2 pins of obd2 port, not all scan tools can read all modules even some higher end ones don't as its manufacturer specific

yes there is a sensor called the SAS  - Steering Angle Sensor yes there is a re-learn/calibration procedure

Not familiar with that Creader make sure you update it and you have the Daihatsu module installed, do a specific scan rather than a generic obd2 read

Hi,

I downloaded the service manual for the car and just bridged a few seconds ago the 2 terminals as shown below:

image.thumb.png.fbc1db283ef904920a338f0264845ff8.png

And what it did was make the EPS light flash but the steering was operational, I don't know what that means 

You need to read the flashes, it's usually a 2-digit code then continues to the next code or just repeats the code, if it flashes in 0.5 sec intervals no code is stored

11 minutes ago, flash22 said:

You need to read the flashes, it's usually a 2-digit code then continues to the next code or just repeats the code

I guess I will do a video on that because I think it was doing this:    "When the system is functioning normally, the flashing interval is 0.5 second"

How do I read the flashes ?   Have a look at the PDF

image.thumb.png.fe4df91c8dc093266618f62da34cd840.png

G02.pdf

I have the manual, do as per the manual - or post a vid

27 minutes ago, flash22 said:

I have already done as the manual suggests and I think it flashes at set intervals but in any case I will do a video tomorrow morning in the light of day.

45 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Since you have the manual if there anything else I can do ? something like recalibration ? or something else that I have missed ?

Not at the moment, if it has codes that will give some direction

30 minutes ago, flash22 said:

What about physically cleaning the insides of the motor ?

Well your Battery not completely flat or your car wont start full stop.

When you park up are your wheels just about parallel to the car this might be your problem.

That is yours are not parallel and your car is complaining about it as your electric power steering cannot locate its normal starting position for setting utself up at startup.

16 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Well your battery not completely flat or your car wont start full stop.

When you park up are your wheels just about parallel to the car this might be your problem.

That is yours are not parallel and your car is complaining about it as your electric power steering cannot locate its normal starting position for setting utself up at startup.

-I have an LAUNCH Creader 3001 OBDII scanner and it shows no codes when the light is on 

-Tested my Battery with the Topdon ArtiBattery101 tester and its 98% charged 100% healthy and the Battery its self is 400CCA which is more than then car needs. Also according to the test alternator is fine as well.

-Swapped EPS fuse no change

-Battery and cables do not look dirty or corroded

-Disconnected Battery, left car sit over night , in the morning issue appeared again

-When I park the car wheels are always straight 

I made a video showing the EPS light flashing:

I think I can distiguise 3 error codes, let me know what you guys see 

image.thumb.png.4814ac9c437ae4a5f275aca6cd81ca8a.png

19 hours ago, flash22 said:

What codes do you see in the video ?

Its a pity you have not shown whats left of the carbon brushes.

I hope you measured them so you can find some replacments.

7 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Its a pity you have not shown whats left of the carbon brushes.

I hope you measured them so you can find some replacments.

I have not touched the motor yet 

Have you seen flash22 video on subject EPS

Some electric power steering still use fluids.