Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clunking suspension

Reesm

I’ve had my rav4 2022 dynamic from new in March. The suspension clunks quite often especially when going speed bumps. This seems to happen on all 4 corners so it’s not an isolated problem. Is this just a feature of the rav4 suspension? My wife has a chr which doesn’t have this issue. 

I haven't noticed this myself. 

I think the hev & phev have slight different/differently tuned suspension set up due to the increased phev weight. Which model/drivetrain do you have? 

Have not experienced this in my month old HEV Dynamic.

It’s the 2wd hev. It’s not constant but definitely occurs over larger speed bumps. I’m not 100% sure that it’s the suspension it could be when braking to go over the speed bumps. 

May not be the suspension, but a panel/trim flexing as you go over the bump.

In general I feel the build quality in relation to trim fitting, etc is poor.

When you are washing the car Martyn can you feel any movement on any panel/trims, etc ?

My go-to for suspension clunks is the anti-rollbar droplink bushes perishing, but that shouldn't be possible on a car that new. Maybe they're loose??

19 hours ago, Reesm said:

I’ve had my rav4 2022 dynamic from new in March. The suspension clunks quite often especially when going speed bumps. This seems to happen on all 4 corners so it’s not an isolated problem. Is this just a feature of the rav4 suspension? My wife has a chr which doesn’t have this issue. 

My RAV4 doesn't 'clunk' unnecessarily - it's probably quieter going over bumps that my wife's C-HR. So, no, I can't see it being a feature of the suspension ...

What makes you think that it is the suspension that 'clunks'?

And, to ask the stupidly obvious question that has to be asked, could it be due to something loose inside the car?

Oh, and, does this clunking occur when you have a passenger in the car?

One of the RAV4's favourite tricks is to allow the unused seat belt clip to bang / clunk against the door pillar if it is not stowed properly - if it is laid on the edge of the seat it will stay there as quiet as a mouse; if left to dangle between the seat and the door pillar it will clunk against the door pillar at every opportunity.

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

could it be due to something loose inside the car?

Good shout. Could it be something under the boot floor? The 2wd HEV will have more of a cavity in there, and thus space for rolling around, plus could sound like a rear suspension "clunk" over bumps? 

I had an annoying rattle from the boot area, worked out to be the boot cover that I hadn't pulled over and latched in position knocking on the back of the rear seats. I now always make a point of pulling it over now, it also hides any stuff in the boot from prying eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response. We’ve been on holiday. Thanks all for your ideas. I took the car in for its recall and mentioned the clunking. They admitted there was a clunking when going over large traffic ramps but they took their demo vehicle over the same bumps and the same noises were heard. At least now it’s on record if it gets any worse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it was an older car I'd say that sounded like drop links.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links