Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid jolt when going into D or R

Steven83

As per title, anyone ever get this? 

sometimes when putting it into D or R it will really jolt the car, feels like it comes from the engine, not often but every now and then. It can even happen when the engine kicks in while I’m stationary.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

As per title, anyone ever get this? 

sometimes when putting it into D or R it will really jolt the car, feels like it comes from the engine, not often but every now and then. It can even happen when the engine kicks in while I’m stationary.

No worries about these jolts are pretty normal. Happens from time to time because of the parking lock pole and planetary gear set, how the car is positioned, parked on incline, handbrake applied or not , which axle holds the car front driving or rear by the brakes.  
If you are for example stationary and the car is in Ready mode in  P  parking and ice kicks in and the car jolts just select D and move an inch forward then select P again and will not jolts anymore , if it does then select R and move an inch backwards and put back in P, you may also apply handbrake before you select P and release foot brake. 👍

• Like 1

Thank you Tony. It’s just a bit embarrassing when it happens with someone in the car, especially when they have just commented on how smooth and quiet the car is haha.

I’m a few months off from having this car a year now and I have to say I couldn’t be happier with my choice. 
55mpg, no tax, such a smooth comfortable effortless drive.

I used to hate being stuck in traffic going on and off with the clutch but this makes it a stress free experience.

the only thing I would like to change is some more modern tech and maybe a bit more of an executive interior. 
I did look at Lexus recently since it is supposed to be the classier version of Toyota but I really don’t like the exterior the IS300h and the CT200H has a horrid centre console. 

i really like the new Yaris but is seems you can’t get it with top spec, no heated seats or leather 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Just to let you know I also get a slight jolt but from P to D and this happens usually in the mornings while the car has been sat overnight. Mines a 2012. 

My previous car also did the same thing which was a merc e class which was a common thing on the 7g tronic box but either way nothing to worry about 👍

• Thanks 1

@Steven83 check your passenger side rear caliper, the caliper sometimes hangs up if you put the handbrake on, with too much force on the brake pedal, then you end up with a jolt or clunk - it is very noticeable if the car is left overnight and the discs flash rust

simple fix is..............  Release the brake pedal a bit before applying the handbrake, let the car coast/slow down by its self (off the throttle and cover the brake) and avoid hitting the brakes too hard when coming to a stop, same with the throttle gently into the throttle you don't need much more that the top 1/4 - 1/3 of the pedal

in the warmer months i see low 60's to low 70's MPG, it drops by 8-12 MPG in the winter, one day i will get 700 miles out of a tank of fuel

the hybrid has its own style of driving, that's for sure

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links