Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2021 Toyota Yaris Hybrid on the FIrst Service

sonyny

Hi Are The Toyota Dealers in the UK Using OW8 in the 2021 Toyota Yaris Hybrid on the FIrst Service

• Like 1

Should be - but probably be down to the owner to check/stipulate that they want 0W8 to be used.

This is what I do re 0W-20 in my previous two Auris and current Aygo. 

In Ireland My Toyota Dealer Is Putting in OW20 in Toyota Ireland not paying them to put OW8 in

I'd be inclined to contact Toyota Ireland for confirmation.

i did and i was told to talk to my dealer and they told me Ow20 was put in my car i ask them to put ow8 in and i was told

toyota ireland will not pay the dealer to put ow8 in it i have 3 free services 2 left

Perhaps it may have been better to provide the full story in your first post.

What is the difference between the two oils, why would you chose one over the other?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

0w8 is the 'preferred' oil for the Mk4 Yaris hybrid.

Thicker oils, such as 0w20, can be used but only as a temporary measure. If it's anything like the 0w20 vs 5w30 issue earlier hybrid owners had, it will cause some efficiency loss. However, it also may cause other issues in the long term, as the tolerances of modern engines are ridiculously tight and thicker oils may not flow well enough through the tight gaps to lubricate them properly.

Don't get that part about Toyota Ireland not paying for 0w8 - Do Irish dealers not have fixed-price servicing? Even my awful Jemca dealer used 0w8 in both services so far (Cost nearly £90 according to the itemization!! :eek: ), and if they can do it any dealer should be able to do it!!

According to this …

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/find-the-right-oil-for-your-toyota/

0w8 is the recommended oil for the Yaris CROSS.

0w16 is recommended for the Yaris mk4 and (I think) 0w20 for the mk3 HYBRID and that’s what my dealer puts in mine.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

0w16 is recommended for the Yaris mk4 and (I think) 0w20 for the mk3 HYBRID and that’s what my dealer ( SAYS) puts in mine.

See the following Oil Recommendation guide which has been updated using information from the Owners Manuals and is correct as of 25th July 2022:

The Yaris Cross Hybrid and 4th generation Yaris Hybrid use 0W8 - the 4th generation Yaris 1.0 petrol uses 0W-16.

• Thanks 2

If its a main dealer who cannot use the correct oil I suggest complaining to Toyota UK or Toyota Europe.

Send a copy to your main dealer I am sure they can order the right oil in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Derek.w said:

If its a main dealer who cannot use the correct oil I suggest complaining to Toyota UK or Toyota Europe.

In the OP's case it would be Toyota Ireland rather than Toyota UK.

Toyota Hybrid user guide  Part number of book PZ49X-U0131-EN V0

www.toyota-europe.com    (info on back of book)

My Vehicle Specifcations says 0W8 (Mark 4 Hybrid)

but 0w16 or 0w20 may be used but you must replace it at your next service with SEA 0W8

see chapter 8.1

Page 180

• Like 1

thanks for all your help

but if i want ow8 in my car i will have to pay €77.00 for the oil

in the Manual SAE OW-8 is filled into your Toyota
vehicle at manufacturing, and the
best choice for good fuel economy
and good starting in cold weather. If
SAE OW-8 oil is not available, SAE
OW-16 or 0W-20 oil may be used.
However, it should be replaced with
SAE OW-8 at the next oil change.

so i think for this year i have no comeback

thanks

That's just bizarre - Is toyota fixed price servicing not a thing in Ireland? They shouldn't charge you more to use the correct oil!!

I don't know why they're being so stubborn about it... You really should e-mail Toyota Ireland and query them about the dealer's behaviour on this, and keep a record that the 'wrong' oil was used should there be any comeback in the future.

I hate stuff like this; What is even the point of going to a dealer if they are going to act like a backstreet garage?? Is there another dealer you can go to that sucks less?

It's a shame the UK and Irish dealers won't service each others cars or I'd say maybe hop on a ferry and get it service at one of the Lindop dealers across the Irish sea :laugh: 

• Like 2

Toyota Ireland offer 3 free services including free traction Battery health checks on the Mark 4 Yaris. They should use the Toyota recommended oil spec, why would Toyota recommend it and then not pay the dealership to put it in their car is beyond me.

He wouldn’t have to hop on a ferry an hours drive northwards and he would be in a part of GB.

• Like 3

Wow that's a nice offer, even getting one free service would require a PhD in haggling here!!

The ferry thing was more to get to a Lindop dealer, as they are one of the apparently few Toyota dealers with a good rep and are literally just across the irish sea from Dublin :laugh: 

• Like 4

i did e-mail and i phone toyota ireland and i told my car was serviced to specifications 
my dealer is great but it is toyota ireland that will paid the dealer for the free 3 services you get free with a new car but will not pay for ow8 oil

i do not think any dealer in ireland use ow8

Edited by sonyny

That’s kind of a joke, if Toyota recommends 0w8 then an official dealer should use only 0w8. The other two options are in rare occasions and not to be offered as alternative in main dealer service. If the dealer refuses to use 0w8 then this is against manufacturer recommendation and in an event of fault caused by wrong oil been used and eventual warranty repair who will take responsibility,. Dealer, manufacturer or they will blame the customer that he didn’t pay extra for the correct grade oil.  

• Like 2

Yeah, that's mental as if say my car developed an engine problem and they found 0w20 was being used instead of 0w8 they'd almost certainly cite that as the reason to get out of any warranty obligations!

Make sure you keep that documented in writing in your servicing files so they can't blame you in the (admittedly unlikely) event something happens in the future...!

That said in reality it shouldn't be an issue unless you're really ragging the engine all the time.

Still, can't believe the irish head office could be such tightarses :laugh: 

• Like 1

sent a letter to day to chief executive of toyota ireland

so live in hope 

• Like 3

Good morning Willie, I have also emailed Toyota Ireland as to why this happened, and as my Yaris Hybrid is due it’s first free service in six months time, will I be presented with the same lame excuses for not using the 0-8W oil as recommended by Toyota for the car. They acknowledged the email and said that they would respond in the coming days. I await with bated breath 🤔

• Like 3

Toyota official dealers in Ireland should never use any other type of oil to service new cars within manufacturers warranty period and even afterwards. If the price does not allow to gain any profit they should hike up or stop selling Toyota cars and do Renault/Dacia.
Filling different type of oil is similar to filling up with different type of fuel, for example for cars made to work on 99 octane only you fill up 95, well the engine will run but there may be consequences.
 Putting 0w20 in 0w8 engine it’s an alternative option, but this does not mean they can do that, it’s for example when you are on the long trip , you may need to top up and 0w8 it’s not available, or perhaps you are at your oil change interval miles and there is no available 0w8 then 0w20 can be used and best to be change sooner after that. Another reason why I don’t like dealers and garages, only very, very few are fine. ☝️

• Like 3

Good luck guys! :thumbup:

• Like 2